RG752/RG752FX

• Thread starter thrashcomics
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thrashcomics

Ibanez and Line 6 since 1999
Reaction score
Has anyone played these things yet? It is hard to believe they are packing that much features/premium hardware into such an affordable package.

I am really lusting after a RG752FX in sub purple.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BetterOffShred

Reaction score
I haven't played one, but yeah you're right, it looks fantastic for the price. That Sub purple is very Reminiscent of the VK eh? Looks hot as hell. The more I am on this forum the more I realize that I may actually be one of said "Ibanez Fanboys".. oh well, they make a slay-tastic guitar for not a whole lot of benjamins, so I say shred on!

Get me one while you're at it.. ;)

-Brett

muskybread

Reaction score
I have one, but I swapped the pups for BKP Emeralds. It's a really great guitar with little frills, just basic features done very well. In terms of quality, very comparable to my Carvin DC700.

GXPO

Reaction score
I haven't played one, but yeah you're right, it looks fantastic for the price. That Sub purple is very Reminiscent of the VK eh? Looks hot as hell. The more I am on this forum the more I realize that I may actually be one of said "Ibanez Fanboys".. oh well, they make a slay-tastic guitar for not a whole lot of benjamins, so I say shred on!

-Brett

I honestly don't know how anyone isn't an Ibanez fanboy.. Every time I leave I just end up coming back.

I can't comment on these as they don't seem to have made it across the pond, but if they're anywhere close to the 7620 or 1527, then they're going to be fantastic playing guitars.

s4tch

Reaction score
I've had 8 Ibanez 7-string guitars so far: 3 RG7321s, an AX7221, and I bought my 4th 7620 lately. I'm a sucker for the 7620, especially the VK finish.

I've never been a fan of the 1527, though, and that's mostly because of the trem. I know that the Edge Pro is a stable and quality bridge, but I can't stand the way it wears. However, the multi-piece neck on the 1527 was an undoubted improvement over the 7620.

The 752 gives the best of both worlds: the Lo-Pro and the DiMarzio pickups of the 7620, and the laminated neck of the 1527. I've never played an RG752, but I bet it would be my favorite 7-string Ibanez that's not a Universe. It only needs a few more finish options, but still, it was a great shot by Ibanez to bring back the Lo-Pro and branded pickups to the Prestige lineup.

GiveUpGuitar

Give Up the Goods!
Reaction score
I've had two of them in my possession this year, and they play amazing. My only complaint is that they are too light, and the locking tuners cause a bit of neck dive.

j0eyaces

Reaction score
I played both RG752/RG752FX and there was no issues. The guitars were set up and re strung by a tech.. necks were perfect not a sharp fret or anything. They are a bit lighter than my 1527.. Necks feel pretty close but are a little different. Pull the trigger and buy one you will be happy.

thrashcomics

Ibanez and Line 6 since 1999
Reaction score
I hopefully have a promotion coming today and if it happens the plan is to pick up a rg752fx in purple and add a purple mirror guard and some multi-colored dimarzios.

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score

-Brett

I'm an Ibanez fanboy.. so don't feel bad haha. But I'm open to other brands and would really like a Jackson.. so I guess I'm not too bad.

Anyway OP.. Those guitars looks great, I'd love to own one as well.

Omura

Reaction score
I have one.
Plays fantastically, everything on the guitar is well done, everything you need, nothing you don't.
PAF 7's are quite dynamic, sound fantastic clean, and for crunchy rock, they are expressive for solos.. But for high gain rhythm, they are slightly too dynamic I think, you have to hit the hell out of the 7th string to get it to tighten up, which can be very difficult with a thick string if you're trying to play palm-muted 16ths or the like.
I'm thinking I will swap the bridge pickup out for something a little bit tighter. I love the neck for soloing though.
Sub purple is really cool, it's like the purple for those that like purple, but can't have garishly purple things lying around :p it is a dark, glossy finish, so fingerprints show up really well..
Gotoh magnum lock tuners are great, I strung my axe up, stretched the strings, tuned up and it just holds perfectly.
I can get a .66 through the tuner, but I think it's probably the thickest that you could get through without drilling the peg or unwinding the string a bit.
I've seen people complain about dry rosewood boards on these, mine came dark, smooth and well conditioned :]
mine is quite light, lighter than my rg350m, which is unusually heavy....
But it still balances fine on the strap, no neck dive for me.
I'd happily recommend them to anyone, but I wouldn't sell mine to anyone, this is staying with me.

Skrapmetal

Reaction score
I bought one a week or two back... RG752fx in the dark purple color.

The neck is like velvet, it is flawless and plays great. The revised Gibraltar bridge is perfectly comfortable now... I have a RG7321 with the old version and it was a sharp-cornered bastard. The new bridge is comfy and not really noticable while playing, which is a good thing.

The PAF7's aren't for everyone, but for now I'm sticking with them.

If you're in the market and can spring for it, they are a great guitar for the money. I like mine enough that I'm likely going to pick up a RG652fx to go with it.

Edit: I'm not really sure I'm an Ibanez fanboy, but after a couple of recent acquisitions I may become one.

Zinter

Canuck Guitar Tech
Reaction score
I debated one of these against the KM-7 I ended up getting, I don't regret my decision but these things look amazing. I was really interested in seeing if I could push those PAF pickups to a good metal tone. I figured they clean up well. This thread could use some owner pics, lookin at you Omura :lol:

Omura

Reaction score
you asked for it...
39990d1399458593-ngd-my-first-7-string-inside-ibanez-content-img_0466.jpg

39991d1399458593-ngd-my-first-7-string-inside-ibanez-content-img_0468.jpg

39992d1399458593-ngd-my-first-7-string-inside-ibanez-content-img_0471.jpg

39993d1399458593-ngd-my-first-7-string-inside-ibanez-content-img_0472.jpg

39994d1399458593-ngd-my-first-7-string-inside-ibanez-content-img_0473.jpg

I'm a shocking photographer.... sorry :p

troyguitar

Reaction score
I kind of want a blue RG752 as a nice lightweight no-frills guitar, the insane weight of my Agile 7 is starting to bug me a bit. Having it come with a matching headstock, locking tuners, PAF's and a case seems perfect to just play it right out of the box. No mods necessary besides strap locks.

Cam

Reaction score
I have one, but I swapped the pups for BKP Emeralds. It's a really great guitar with little frills, just basic features done very well. In terms of quality, very comparable to my Carvin DC700.

How do the Emeralds sound in it? I currently have an Ionizer set in my 752 and was thinking about trying out the Emeralds.

Cam

Reaction score
The guitar is amazing for the price. I got mine about a week ago and am in love with it. It sounds monstrous, but also very sweet with my Dimarzio Ionizer set i had installed by Axe Palace.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Great guitars. I've owned 7620s, 1527s, and a 752 and the 752 is closer to the 7620. You'll feel right at home on it. The PAF 7s are okay. Some days I really like them and then others I want to rip them out. It's the weak output that's the main bother for me. Cam's just about got me convinced to pick up the Ionizers! Ha!

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
The PAF 7s are okay. Some days I really like them and then others I want to rip them out. It's the weak output that's the main bother for me. Cam's just about got me convinced to pick up the Ionizers! Ha!
I don't know why they chose PAF 7s for a basswood bodied 7... A much better choice would've been something like d-activators or an evolution 7+air norton 7... otherwise, looks like an amazing guitar.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I don't know why they chose PAF 7s for a basswood bodied 7... A much better choice would've been something like d-activators or an evolution 7+air norton 7... otherwise, looks like an amazing guitar.

Cause they were the cheapest 7 pickups (besides their own V7/V8) that they could put in the guitar with a Dimarzio name on it! :lol:

')