RG7620 (floyd rose/edge expets needed!)

• Thread starter DBDbadreligion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DBDbadreligion

Reaction score
hi all,

ok here's the deal i got this great RG7620 in great condition off ebay last week everything ids perfect but the trem is have ing problems (it's a edge lo-pro 7 BTW). it keeps going out of tune when i do vai's crazy tricks. i tried the chap-stick lubricent idea on the knife-edges it didnt work. i was wondering if a tremsetter would help with this problem.

thanks alot,

~n

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
possibly, but it wouldnt allow vai like whammy tricks. Try giving it a once over as far as a setup goes and grease the knife edges with some of that teflon lubrication that Kevan suggests.

DBDbadreligion

Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
possibly, but it wouldnt allow vai like whammy tricks. Try giving it a once over as far as a setup goes and grease the knife edges with some of that teflon lubrication that Kevan suggests.
well vai uses the backstop and that's basically the same thing as the trem-setter so idk.

Kevan said:
Here ya go:

http://www.tremol-no.com/cleanandlube.asp

Remember folks: Wax is NOT a lubricant.
couldnt i just use WD-40 or is this car lube better?

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
DBDbadreligion said:
well vai uses the backstop and that's basically the same thing as the trem-setter so idk.

The Backstop has a much softer feel than the Tremsetter.

Besides Kevan's tutorial, you should also check out Rich's tech section (at least the parts relevant to trems):

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

There's probably something simple wrong with your setup: nut not locked down tightly enough, shifting nut, trem not at right angle, sliding saddles, strings not stretched, etc.

Kevan said:
Here ya go:

http://www.tremol-no.com/cleanandlube.asp

Remember folks: Wax is NOT a lubricant.
Hmm, I can't say I agree with you about not filing knife edges. I filed the knife edge on my licensed FR and it actually helped my tuning stability.

As for the lube, do you notice a significant improvement over Chapstick with your PTFE lube?

DBDbadreligion

Reaction score
giannifive said:
The Backstop has a much softer feel than the Tremsetter.

Besides Kevan's tutorial, you should also check out Rich's tech section (at least the parts relevant to trems):

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

There's probably something simple wrong with your setup: nut not locked down tightly enough, shifting nut, trem not at right angle, sliding saddles, strings not stretched, etc.

Hmm, I can't say I agree with you about not filing knife edges. I filed the knife edge on my licensed FR and it actually helped my tuning stability.

As for the lube, do you notice a significant improvement over Chapstick with your PTFE lube?

the B-E nut clamp was not all the way locked, the trem is at right angle, idk if the saddles slide (i doubt they do), i always stretch strings they are fully stretched.

as for lube, i used WD-40 cause i used that on my other floyd and it seemed to help.

question: what's everyone hate about the tremsetter?

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
DBDbadreligion said:
question: what's everyone hate about the tremsetter?
There are a lot of threads on here (and on Jemsite) about people's experiences with the Tremsetter. It seems that the prevailing complaint people have about it is the catch at the zero point. I used one for about two months and eventually took it out because it made my trem too stiff and clunky. Also, tuning stability was actually worse with the Tremsetter in. The reason is that there are two neutrals on a trem: the one after a pull-up, and the one after a dive. Typically the after pull-up neutral will be a bit sharp, while the dive neutral will be dead on (sort of by definition---you're supposed to tune after a dive). In any case, after a pull-up, a fully floating trem usually goes back into tune after some heavy vibrato or bends. With the Tremsetter the bridge doesn't move with vibrato or bends, so you have to manually dive it a little bit to get it back into tune.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
this is the simplest explanation possible.

Is your locking nut locked in...?

DBDbadreligion

Reaction score
David said:
this is the simplest explanation possible.

Is your locking nut locked in...?
yeah i retightened all the locking clamps gonna see if it works later, cause as i said the B-E clamps weren't compleatly locked.

DBDbadreligion

Reaction score
ok i think i fixed it.

i had to stretch the strings even more and i also put WD-40 oil on the knife edges.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
DBDbadreligion said:
Not really. the both have the same 'goal' but they function differently.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
If i remember right, the backstop and the Schaller black box (which i owned) are pretty much essentially the same principle. it provides a point to rest against and keeps you from pressing on the bridge and whatnot. I think the idea is to have enouigh tension on the springs to counteract bends and whatnot, and have the backstop support it. At least that how i used it. The tremsetter provides a zero point and puts pressure on the bridge to prevent it from moving forward, to compensate. It doesnt provide any back pressure.
So they kind work from the opposite ends so to speak, to do the same thing.

DBDbadreligion

Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
If i remember right, the backstop and the Schaller black box (which i owned) are pretty much essentially the same principle. it provides a point to rest against and keeps you from pressing on the bridge and whatnot. I think the idea is to have enouigh tension on the springs to counteract bends and whatnot, and have the backstop support it. At least that how i used it. The tremsetter provides a zero point and puts pressure on the bridge to prevent it from moving forward, to compensate. It doesnt provide any back pressure.
So they kind work from the opposite ends so to speak, to do the same thing.
oh, can u show me a link for the schaller black box. ive never been able to find it. lol

Kevan

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wax/Chapstick
Wax is simply not a lubricant. It's a protectant. There's a difference.

In a pinch (i.e. on stage at the Meadowlands), I'm sure Chapstick would work to get you thru the set. I'll bet that most groupies have a tube in their purse. :D

WD-40 vs. PTFE
I carry both in my kit. I have a WD-40 pen that I use on occasion, when I need a light, low-duty lube.

The PTFE I use for higher-duty applications, like hundreds of in.lbs. of pressure on a thin little knife edge. :agreed:
The good thing about PTFE is that is penetrates the microscopic pores of the metal and puts in a teflon compound. This extends the life of the metal, and provides a smooth/slick surface, and throws in protection of the metal at no charge.

Filing Knife Edges
Well, some guys (like Rich) suggest doing this, and it works for some people and that's cool. I just think it's a bad idea (much like camping with grizzly bears). Chances are most folks will end up botching the file job and have to replace the entire trem. Not so much fun then.

Also, if you file once, you're gonna have to keep on filing.

In 99.75% of the guitars I've ever worked on, a quick shot of lube has solved tuning issues. That .25% was a custom jobbie with a mis-aligned trem.

Lastly, as I pointed out in the page there, you can't get that metal back once you file it off. If someone screws it up, you have to replace the knife edges or the entire baseplate. Again, not so much fun.

Tremsetter vs. Backstop
As stated above, these are two different products that do the same thing. "It's not a boat. It's a yacht."
-The Tremsetter has a stiffer feel than the Backstop.
-The Tremsetter only takes up one spring slot, while the Backstop takes up 2.
-The Tremsetter requires some pretty serious drilling into the guitar (watch the video on the site). The Backstop simply screws into the body. On some Ibanez guitars, there's actually a factory-routed 'notch' for the Backstop. On some guitars, routing might be necessary.
-The Tremsetter is about $40. Backstops are no longer made, but can be found online anywhere from $75 to $210.

There's another option: The ESP Arming Adjuster.
I haven't tried one out yet, but I've heard it's pretty decent. It's like 1/2 of a Backstop, so it only takes up one spring slot. One of these days I'll pick one up and give it a try.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Any idea if the arming adjuster would work in a guitar with the tremol-no? I think it would be cool to have a stabilized, fully floating trem and be able to switch that to a hard tail.

widdly

Reaction score
The black box one is available here..

www_rockinger_com/index.html?lang=ENG&cat=WG07

It looks very similiar to the backstop. Much smaller than a tremstopper and a lot cheaper.

Kevan

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Corrected link to the BlackBox:
http://www.rockinger.com/index.html?lang=ENG&cat=WG076&art=16060

JJ Rodriguez said:
Any idea if the arming adjuster would work in a guitar with the tremol-no? I think it would be cool to have a stabilized, fully floating trem and be able to switch that to a hard tail.
I haven't tried the BlackBox or the Arming Adjuster with the Tremol-No, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work with each other in a guitar. As long as you can run 3 springs, I think you'll be fine. I'll do some testing with them later on down the road.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score

DBDbadreligion

Reaction score
widdly said:
The black box one is available here..

www_rockinger_com/index.html?lang=ENG&cat=WG07

It looks very similiar to the backstop. Much smaller than a tremstopper and a lot cheaper.
does this have to go where the middle spring went or can it go btw 1-3?
also does this require some routing like the ESP Adjustor?

Latest posts

')