RG7620 String/Fret Issue

• Thread starter Cuda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cuda

Macross Music Maniac
Reaction score
I've owned 2 RG7620s, both the all maple 1999 models. I've had the same issue with both of them, though I did sell one.

Basically, when I play anything on the Low B or High E, it tends to fall off the edges. It get's worse around the 7th-12th frets.

I was using EB slinky .09-.52 but switched to D'Addario .09-.56 which did help the feel of it some, but still seems to be problematic. I'm barely pressing the strings down and it just pops down off the fret edge. I have to be super careful or it just cuts out the note. Even with brand new strings :realmad:

Is it just the nut/bridge spacing, is there anything I can do to fix it? Would a higher string gauge help? I've tried adjusting the truss and bridge up, but that seemed to have made it worse.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
I've had this same problem happen to me. It doesn't happen much, but I work around it when I play. Unfortunately, I don't have the solution. Max needs to come in here and helps us out :D

Cuda

Macross Music Maniac
Reaction score
Thanks, sucks that you have the same trouble.

On one hand it's made my playing rely on being extremely accurate and delicate. :lol:

I'm thinking bumping strings up to .10-60, that may help some but eh, I kinda doubt it, my AX7521 has no issues like that with the.09s but it's 24.5 scale?

BTW I did run a search but came up with nothing but RG7620 vs RG1527 threads :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
They're physically falling off the edges? You can just re-locate the neck, ie. I don't think it's a hard fix. Max will have a definitive solution though.

Cuda

Macross Music Maniac
Reaction score
Thanks, for a reply. Hopefully, Max can help me out. Off topic but, I'm pretty sure his last name is Genius and he pilots transforming planes against 60 foot women in power armor when he's not here. :agreed:

Here are a few pics.

Normal, very light touch.

012.jpg

If I add a little pressure down a hair. If I'm in a hurry or playing heavy it always happens. Not being able to use vibrato for some solos is lame.

013.jpg

The Low B, yeah I am pressing down a bit harder, but it I don't think a string should go that far over, ever.Haha my High E got caught like that one day.

009.jpg

I know I know, bend the strings in, but they are very ...touchy. I'd play this guitar more and spend some cash to upgrade it if it were not for this issue.

Varjo

ss.org frenulum
Reaction score
From what I see, there are two reasons for this:
1) When you press the note, you don't press it straight down but in a somewhat diagonal manner. Causing the string to move enough to fall of the fret end.
2) The fret ends have been finished too diagonally, making the strings fall off way too easy.

Unfortunately there are only three options I see to remedy this:
A) Fine-tune your playing technique
B) Have the frets filed lower. Reason: Now at both ends the decline starts too early. Filing all the frets lower the decline starts later, hopefully giving you that ridiculously small amount of extra fret to stop the problem. Any good luthier/tech should be able to do this, given that the frets aren't too low already
C) Refret the whole fretboard. Pricey, but a guaranteed fix.

If there are any other options, I'd be glad to hear them, but those are the only things that pop into my mind.

Cuda

Macross Music Maniac
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah, I do tend to press a little hard sometimes, but still it happens when other people play my guitar too.

A) I'm trying, but it's not a problem on any other guitars I play, just the RG7620, and on two different ones.

B) I don't want to have to do fret work. I don't trust any of my local shops, they don't listen to anyone. They can't install anything without stripping screws, or put pickups in wrong position. :realmad:

C) If I have to spend more than I paid for it or close, ($300) I may as well sell it and buy a new guitar. :nuts:

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
From your pictures you guitar looks fine. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. So I would say that this is a technique problem not an instrument problem. There looks to be plenty of room between the edge of the board and the fret, you need to get a straight push, no angle.

Cuda

Macross Music Maniac
Reaction score
From your pictures you guitar looks fine. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. So I would say that this is a technique problem not an instrument problem. There looks to be plenty of room between the edge of the board and the fret, you need to get a straight push, no angle.

Well, I am not taking it as an insult to my playing, but uh, yeah it isn't JUST my playing :fawk:

:lol: Sorry, thanks for replying with something helpful. I'm trying to use it to improve my accuracy, but it feels like it's a "trainer" for a real 7 string and I know it's better than that. I just want to take care of it and get her playing right.

again on a 24.5(?) AX7521, I don't have the same issue with same string gauges in the same tuning.Neither did the RG1527 I played with older strings. Just my RG7620s are the only ones :scratch:

I want to love this guitar and I do, but damn, it's neck is a bit thin and the strings always pop off the sides if I don't play like a pussy. :lol: I mean a very light touch will pop it down.

I'm thinking upping the gauge will help improve it, it did have .10s on it about a year ago and it still did the same thing, not quite as bad though, I thought it was just the age of them. So unless I put like a .13-.70 set, it won't go completely away.

I'm guessing I'll have to get the frets leveled anyway, set it up again and try a higher gauge set. I'll probably take her up to Austin sometime next week.:scratch:

Varjo

ss.org frenulum
Reaction score
I'd like to agree, judging on the pics, that it's your playing technique, but if it's only that guitar that does it I'd say it's ruled out.

Hell, sometimes guitars and you just don't get that mojo moving. Get another 7-stringer if nothing else helps. You could try always heavier strings, but if that doesn't help and options A, B and C are discussed, I'd say it's time to move on. At least I'm out of ideas.

Cuda

Macross Music Maniac
Reaction score
I'll try the cheapest, new strings probably 10-60, if it still bugs the crap out of me, I'll have the frets filed down a bit. If it still bugs me... :scratch:

Also if you look, the string is near the edge on the fret I'm pressing, but off the edge, touching the wood, onwards to the higher frets. That's why I thought it was more my bad on setup, than JUST my playing, as sloppy as it can be lol.