RG7621 1998 1 peice neck opinions

goldenaxe

Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking at and trying out 7 strings and have come across a "very good" (I.e. unworn frets, no dings) RG7621 bought new in 1998 online for £350 with P&P. Now I know from looking around that most would say "yes, go for it" immediately, but what I want to know is whether this is because they're good guitars or because no one wants to bash an old traditional ibanez 7 :p

I haven't had a chance to try one due to the age, so my main question is about playability: how is the thicker 1 piece maple neck (because it's the 1st 1998 version, not the newer 3 piece)? I've tried a Jackson JS32-7Q and liked that a fair bit, and also an Ibanez SIR27 which impressed me but is out of my price range. So is the neck actually better on an RG7621 even though the new Indonesian guitars should have progressed and become better, or is a 16 year old MIJ Ibanez neck really still better?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Personally, I think the 3 piece 7620 neck is one of the best Ibanez has ever made. I wouldn't pass one up that had a one piece maple neck though. :nono:

bifftannen

Reaction score
I have it in white and I love it and somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ryan Shuck from Orgy had a modified one. The 7620's and 7621's have gone up in price on the used market from what I can see and thats a good price for one in Europe too (I paid 550 euros for mine shipped). The 7621's and 7620's were Ibby's top of the line non-signature 7 strings from back in the day so it would be the equivalent to a prestige so I would prefer this to an Indonesian made seven string.

A friendly word of advice though, posting where it is for sale mightn't be the best move on this forum if it's for a good price. Anyway I hope you snag it and give us your own thoughts on it if you do.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Buy it. Before someone else jumps on it. NOW. Only sold my old one to fund my Jaden and, truth be told, I kind of regret it.

Mine was a 99 and it was a fantastic guitar. I don't like the 6 string RG necks (too skinny as I was a Jackson player so prefer that shape) but the 7621 one-piece neck was perfect.

I would go old MIJ over new Indonesian any day of the week, currently.

dan0151

Reaction score
By far one of the most comfortable 7 string necks i have played IMHO,I love my 7620.
I say jump on it..before somebody else does.

goldenaxe

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the help, and yeah I realise now it probably wasn't the best idea to tell this forum where they could go find a used rg7621! I'll try to nab it if I can though :)

Latest posts