RG8 is capable enough to record bass even.

• Thread starter gnarlwinslow
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
Figured I'd share a demo my buddy and I threw together using the LeGion plugin within Cubase (such an incredible amp plugin)

I have it pretty well blended in, but I recorded bass on my RG8 too using the TSE BOD plugin just for the heck of it and ended up absolutely loving it.

I plan on making changes to the song eventually, but in case anyone was wondering if the RG8 pickups were decent enough to go for the purchase. I'd say so, I didn't tweak the EQ on the guitar tracks at all, this was all the settings within the plugin.

Wait a ho chi minute - Handsome Dan (demo) - YouTube

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rekab

Reaction score
Wow the drums are ridiculously loud on that track

jimwratt

Reaction score
You know, I'm starting to think that the RG8 pickups actually aren't bad so much as the other 8 string pickups on the market are just so much greater.

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
That may be the case. I'm satisfied with them for now. I'm curious about the d activators. The fact that I was able to effortlessly get a tone I loved just made me second guess it. Its very hard to tell if people really know what they are talking about or if they just like them because Tosin mentioned them in an article. All of the comparison videos on YouTube are pretty much impossible to tell. I really need to try them for myself. There's so much more to tone than pickups. Even the way you play has a huge impact.

rekab

Reaction score
The pickups aren't all that horrible. They really are a step forward compared to the old rga8 pickups. They're bass heavy and clarity is lacking. Big chords sound like noise compared to dimarzios where all the notes are distinguishable.

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
Well I know it would feel like a sin if I refinished this guitar and put the stocks back in. This will be a ways down the road anyways.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Awesome track. Also if you guys are doing a full band together let me know if you want to do shows. This is Josh from ex-DevilsClub. We used to do a ton of shows with Burning Cities (also friends with Damian and Joey) before both bands broke up.

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
Josh what's up man, this is Damian actually. Not super sure if we will be playing any of these songs live, at least as of yet. We're definitely trying to put together another album at the very least though. Hope all has been well.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Josh what's up man, this is Damian actually. Not super sure if we will be playing any of these songs live, at least as of yet. We're definitely trying to put together another album at the very least though. Hope all has been well.

Good to see youre still making music. Actually we just put together an 8 string band with a few of us founding members and past DC members. Doing well and getting a huge response for just starting back up :)

Reaction score
I purchased some EMG 808x pickups before I even got my RG8 but haven't even changed the stock pickups yet.

They work pretty good, and I have compared the stock pickups to EMGs and Blackouts (on different guitars) and they do fine.

P.S. The Legion plug-in owns, with the right impulses it makes a great setup for distortion. For cleans I use Simulanalog Twin plug-in.

')