RG8 Pickguard Thread

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
someone needs to start making these...ppl want them and want them now!
over 230 ppl here have them so far.

see these threads:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/220004-let-rg8-mods-begin.html

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/220221-rg8-roll-call.html

i know there are a bunch scattered in the rg8 mod thread, but go ahead and re-post pics of your pickguards here. post up some ideas, sketches, examples, drawings in crayon, etc. maybe somebody will start building these things.

here is my faux carbon fiber diy job...

DSCF6022.jpg

DSCF6023.jpg

DSCF6026.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Khai H8drusH

H8dstringer
Reaction score
+1. Rg8 lefty owner here, reporting for request-for-some1-to-make-pickguard ROLL CALL.

1) M3CHK1LLA
2) Khai H8drusH
3)
4)

DespoticOrder

Slave Driver
Reaction score
These are in the mod thread, too, but whatevs! Not the best, but it was my first time and done with a dremel by hand. I'm about to make a white pearl as well.

RadDadTV

Reaction score
Here is mine, I had mine made by a member here, but since I believe he has decided not to make them for people anymore. SO, I lucked out haha. :evil:

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    658 KB · Views: 320

shanerct

Reaction score
I'm loving this thread. I'm planning mine now. Whats a good site to either get these made or blank sheets?

My idea is some sort of a red pearloid or tortoiseshell cover with a smiley face in the middle. Still thinking if i want to remove the neck pickup then will plan it accordingly.

I'm waiting for my RG8 to come in anyone have the body dimensions or template?

FromTheMausoleum

That one guy
Reaction score
I need 2 of these and I don't know if I trust myself making them. one with a single coil hole in it as well :|

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
i wonder if i should have put this in the luthiery & modifications section instead?

some of those guys could for sure make these.

obZenity

bwow-duh-da-dow
Reaction score
970709_175036089329348_822487588_n.jpg

My vintage tortoise pickguard. Had my old guitar tech from my old store back in Michigan cut it for me by hand from a blank.

Makes me realize I need to take better pictures. . . .

Khai H8drusH

H8dstringer
Reaction score
Guys, my pickguard.. Finally. :)

Do look over at my NGD thread for details if u wanna order the pickguard. :yesway:

ij3x.jpg

codycarter

Reaction score
these pickguards make all the difference on these axes. I would be willing to another rg8 or a 2228 of someone started making these

schecter007

Reaction score
Id pay good money for 2 or 3 of these.. I think they make a huge difference in the overall look and would be some good money to be made for a person or company that had the materials, tools,.skills and time required to produce them..

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
I have zero experience on doing such a thing,but my ghetto-ass plan goes as follows:

1.Purchased this

127cm 30cm White Carbon Fiber Vinyl Auto Car Wrap Sheet Roll Film Sticker Z85 1 | eBay

You guessed it,I want to avoid drilling.No screw holes,no mister.

2.Downloaded this:

http://www.terrapinguitars.com/2011/pdf/Ibanez RT450 _outline.pdf

3.Printed it to scale (make sure you have latest adobe reader and choose no scaling,as well as tiled page format if you print it in A4 size paper),connected the A4 papers, and found the center line of the pickup routes.

4.Printed some small f-holes of various sizes (googled pictures on the net,and changed the size from..windows paint :lol:).Found and cut out one f-hole (~9.5 cm length for the orientation I chose) that covers the pickup switch and its screws,and sticked it on the template.I want to avoid drilling ,so the f hole is going to be hollowed out on the vinyl sticker.

5.SUPPOSING that the right half of the pickguard from the cavities centerline lines up perfectly with the horn,pickup and pot positions,I'll cut the template along the centerline,and stick the 2 pieces in a new piece of paper so that the pickup routes are 4 inches wide (that's the width of the standard 8 string active housing).Draw some horizontal lines to connect the seperated pieces,voila.

I am hoping that the only further modification the template might need ,is the cutout for the bridge,as it isn't going to be exactly where the template shows due o different bridge and the 27" scale.Can someone verify this?

6.Stick the template on the sticker,cut out the shape and holes,stick sticker on the guitar.Quite possibly I will be able to make sticker covers for the pickups from the cutout itself.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
The guitar came up and it seems the pickguard I linked isn't as easy a fit as I had hoped for.I have some workaround method in my mind I'll document it when I get to actually making the pickguard.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I forgot about this thread.

Heres mine, for the sake of having pics all in one place.

MwQUOWc.jpg

sq2yxaf.jpg

9HroJ76.jpg

And heres a mirrored one for all you weirdos who play backwards guitars

OHvLvE8.jpg

Latest posts

')