RG8 Truss Rods

• Thread starter Chox
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chox

Reaction score
Do these truss rods run backwards? Like Left - Tighten, Right - Loosen?

The Manual says this is the case, however turning the rod left seems to be increasing the neck relief :scratch:

Also it's worth noting that the manual for these things looks like a generic manual for all Ibanez guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thrashmetal85

Reaction score
My m80m was lefty tighty, righty loosey, but you just never know. If it's still under warranty take it back to the your place of purchase.

Chox

Reaction score
haha this is already the second one I've had :) I'd rather not return another one!

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong - when you turn it left are you looking up at the headstock or down at the body?

thrashmetal85

Reaction score
Looking down the rod from the adjustment end governs the left right orientation. Your instrument adjusts at the headstock so you look toward the body. A heel adjusted instrument looks toward the headstock.

Chox

Reaction score
That's as I thought.

It turns out even though the manual said left to tighten, I went with how it felt, and turned it right and now the relief is much much less :)

Chox

Reaction score
I would, but I'm at work now ;)

Just happy I got the relief adjusted to be honest. I've heard horror stories of people getting truss rods that don't do anything, and also people with stripped heads on their truss rods!

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
^ ok...

i had to send one back because of a big gap the neck pocket.

why did you have to send your first one back?

Chox

Reaction score
My first one went back cause of bad fret work, dead notes, huge fret buzz, even at high action, I couldn't fix it so I sent it back. I think maybe the neck wasn't seated right either.

Wish I'd just bought a Schecter C-8 Deluxe. Nice budget 28" scale guitar. Shame I bought the RG8 pre-NAMM ;) haha.

Chox

Reaction score

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
My Truss rod is a little stripped when i got it. Is pretty lame.

Got it used and didnt have to use it till recently :(

Chox

Reaction score
My Truss rod is a little stripped when i got it. Is pretty lame.

Got it used and didnt have to use it till recently :(

That sucks :( I wouldn't have had to use mine had I not put heavier strings on it. The stock strings they put on these are such a joke.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
I've experienced a horror story with my RG8.

It first started with the fact that the nut was completely worn out. I even tried the Stewmac stripper rod wrenches, but to no avail. Since I already had started modding the guitar, and I didn't need to adjust the relief when I got it, I choked on my losses and I left it to a local friendly luthier for repair.

After the luthier was forced to dig out half of the first fret in order to reveal more of the rod nut, he discovered that the nut was welded on the thread, which means it would never budge not in a million years.

The only course of action left was removal of fretboard and old rod, and replacing both with new ones. I've known the luthier for some time and he gave me a good price for that kind of work, so I agreed.

When the luthier removed the old rod, it immediately bowed like crazy. In the wrong fvcking direction.

So the rod was both constructed and installed the wrong way, and the worn rod nut was just the tip of the iceberg, presumably caused by whoever person tried to set it up in the factory or thomann.

Moral of the story: check the truss rod when buying a new guitar :lol:

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
My RG8 came with the completely wrong size allen key for some reason. Luckily I have plenty, so I was still able to adjust it.

Chox

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of people have had some serious issues with their RG8's.

Definitely taking my custom elsewhere when I'm in the market for a new guitar.

badhabit

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, my RG7421 is the same. Needs adjusting opposite of what the diagram in the manual says.

Chox

Reaction score
I know the RG8 and RG7321 are low end models, but really you'd expect better from such a well established brand as Ibanez.

Maybe that's half the problem, they're well established and therefore don't care as much.

Ibanez RG7321

Reaction score
Wow, that sucks to hear. MY RG 7321 and the RG8 were new, and fine out of the box. I actually didnt need to adjust the truss rod with the 10-74's I put on but everything looked fine when i popped the truss rod cover. It did have fret buzz out of the box bad and the action was pretty high but oddly the 74's play way better, no fret buzz and NO adjustments, truss rod, action, or setting intonation needed to be adjusted after the thicker strings

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
Truss rod on my RG721 is also adjusted vise-versa from the pic in the manual. I think it's just a mistake in the manual.

')