RG8 Truss Rods

• Thread starter Chox
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chox

Reaction score
I think maybe it's a generic manual for all Ibanez guitars.

I've owned an RG550 and an EDR470EX, both of which came with the same manual, and both of which adjusted in the direction shown in the manual.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chox

Reaction score
Wow, that sucks to hear. MY RG 7321 and the RG8 were new, and fine out of the box. I actually didnt need to adjust the truss rod with the 10-74's I put on but everything looked fine when i popped the truss rod cover. It did have fret buzz out of the box bad and the action was pretty high but oddly the 74's play way better, no fret buzz and NO adjustments, truss rod, action, or setting intonation needed to be adjusted after the thicker strings

All of my Ibanez guitars have been new, all have played terribly out of the box and required quite a bit of set up, aside from my second RG8 which wasn't great but a lot better than previous Ibanez guitars.

Maybe Ibanez just aren't for me? :scratch:

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I don't know what the manual said for my rg8 (in fact I don't remember getting one), but my truss rod adjustments are the same as every other guitar I've had... Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty. I guess maybe they changed truss rods at some point?

Chox

Reaction score
I don't know what the manual said for my rg8 (in fact I don't remember getting one), but my truss rod adjustments are the same as every other guitar I've had... Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty. I guess maybe they changed truss rods at some point?

Maybe they did, they should update the manual accordingly though.

Once the RG8s are set up they're really nice guitars.

Chox

Reaction score
My m80m was lefty tighty, righty loosey, but you just never know. If it's still under warranty take it back to the your place of purchase.

M80M owner here, and the manual is opposite to how it should be adjusted.

Aprillia - I assume your manual told you lefty tighty, righty loosey?

tom_8s

Reaction score
I'm starting to noticed some *issues* with mine. I did some to-the-right adjustments to straighten the neck out since the relief was quiet high; seemed to do the job. I stoked the bridge and such and it seemed good.

Two weeks later after it's been sitting on a stand, the action has crept up and I'm noticing a ton more fret-buzz and some dead spots on the upper frets. Not so happy. Maybe it just needs setting up by a luthier or something? I can't seem to get the action down any further without causing unplayable fret buzz...

Any thoughts?

Ibanez RG7321

Reaction score
All of my Ibanez guitars have been new, all have played terribly out of the box and required quite a bit of set up, aside from my second RG8 which wasn't great but a lot better than previous Ibanez guitars.

Maybe Ibanez just aren't for me? :scratch:
Maybe just a bad string of luck? Like I said, I have not had any problems with either of them, though Ive notice after a day of adding the last 4 strings ( I changed just the first 4 when I restrung it and left the last 4 stock strings) that fret buzz is back. Im going to take it to my uncles house and have him check it over and maybe adjust the truss rod. I think maybe i should have just left the last 4 on, it felt a tad bit better with the 9's on. Overall they played nice and felt great. I havent been able to put the 8 down since I got it. I havent even looked at a 6 string since.

Shub-Niggurath

Wish it was the 80s
Reaction score
My RGD2127FX was listed incorrectly as well - I had to turn it opposite to the way listed in the manual. I actually took a photo of the page when I discovered it but never got round to doing anything with it (It's a huge photo so I didn't embed it):

Imgur

Chox

Reaction score
I'm starting to noticed some *issues* with mine. I did some to-the-right adjustments to straighten the neck out since the relief was quiet high; seemed to do the job. I stoked the bridge and such and it seemed good.

Two weeks later after it's been sitting on a stand, the action has crept up and I'm noticing a ton more fret-buzz and some dead spots on the upper frets. Not so happy. Maybe it just needs setting up by a luthier or something? I can't seem to get the action down any further without causing unplayable fret buzz...

Any thoughts?

Maybe take it a luthier or back to PMT dude? I toyed with the idea of taking my first one to a luthier, but I didn't want to potenitally be spending so much money on set up/fretwork/neck shimming etc etc on what is a fairly cheap guitar by most standards, especially when it comes to ERGs.

Take it back to PMT and swap it for one of the new Schecter C-8 Deluxe ;)

Maybe just a bad string of luck? Like I said, I have not had any problems with either of them, though Ive notice after a day of adding the last 4 strings ( I changed just the first 4 when I restrung it and left the last 4 stock strings) that fret buzz is back. Im going to take it to my uncles house and have him check it over and maybe adjust the truss rod. I think maybe i should have just left the last 4 on, it felt a tad bit better with the 9's on. Overall they played nice and felt great. I havent been able to put the 8 down since I got it. I havent even looked at a 6 string since.

Maybe it is just bad luck, but I can't ignore the fact that I've owned 4 Ibanez guitars, 3 of which were complete lemons and one of which was very poorly put together and QC got lazy :p

Still, people tend to love Ibanez, there must be a reason.

Did you adjust the truss rod after changing the string gauge? This could be your culprit.

My RGD2127FX was listed incorrectly as well - I had to turn it opposite to the way listed in the manual. I actually took a photo of the page when I discovered it but never got round to doing anything with it (It's a huge photo so I didn't embed it):

Imgur

That's the exact same manual page from the RG8 manual.

Ibanez RG7321

Reaction score
Maybe it is just bad luck, but I can't ignore the fact that I've owned 4 Ibanez guitars, 3 of which were complete lemons and one of which was very poorly put together and QC got lazy :p

Still, people tend to love Ibanez, there must be a reason.

Did you adjust the truss rod after changing the string gauge? This could be your culprit.
Nope, havent had it adjusted yet. It sits in a closet which is cold, so I think thats what the deal is. She plays great, just had her out last night though. I still need to take it over to my uncles house and have him look at it, but i looked at the neck the other day and it looks like its fine. I have only owned the RG8, and 2 RG7321's, and yes, I do love these guitars!! One is new and for sale, other one i play and I havent had any problems with the 7 at all. The new one seems fine as well. Overall, not any problems and it scares me to keep reading all the problems others are having. And I paid $240 shipped for the 8, brand new

takotakumi

Reaction score
I was actually debating the same thing with my new RG852 yesterday. Neck was a bit off so I decided to adjust he truss rod using the manual (you know,just in case) and yeah the diagrams seemed off. I adjusted as the manual said but it seems to went opposite so I did they way we all do. I also own another prestige (Rg2550) and checked the manual and they both say the same thing. On the 2550 Im definitively sure its wrong in the manual since I did the adjustment prior to taking a look.

How come Ibanez messed this up? -2 points for incorrect diagrams and excessive use of EMGS on prestiges on my book (I still love Ibanez though hehe)

')