RGA121 Gibraltar Plus Bridge Problem

• Thread starter abswisher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

abswisher

Reaction score
I currently have my RGA121 set up pretty nicely in C# standard. However, it appears that the bridge posts are pulling forward slightly. My gut tells me somehow the holes have enlarged, so the posts are a bit loose. The tension from my .13 strings probably aren't helping. What is the best way to go about refilling the holes or fixing the problem? I have a feeling the toothpick trick won't suffice this time. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drill them out, fill with hardwood dowels, redrill the holes.

Lost of All Reason

I lyka to pleh
Reaction score
Ack! The posts are pulling forward? Is this something that got worse over time? Has anyone else had an experience like this on their 121? What do you think took it over the edge to the point that this started happening? The 13s? Or just wear over time? Or?

sluggo88

Reaction score
I think all RGA121's were made with inherently loose-fitting posts that don't screw tightly into the studs. The string tension locks them forward (which actually helps), but it doesn't look good cosmetically. If there is a replacement post/stud made that has tighter specs as to fit, that would be a huge plus.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^Basically all normal screw-in posts wiggle in the bushing, it doesn't matter if it's Tone Pros, ABM or no-name Chinese junk parts. That's why I wrap my posts in teflon tape and screw them back in. (You'll wanna dump a little semi-crumpled wad of aluminium foil and a biro spring* in there too if you wanna keep your guitar's ground connection intact)

Both the 121s I've seen up close (one of them being my personal darling) actually have the bushings pressed in at an angle for some reason. They're absolutely rock solid and won't budge, but they do lean forward noticeably. I had a theory that this was to somehow lessen the amount of retuning/reintonating that you'd have to do after adjusting the string height, but I never did any tests to confirm or debunk that theory.

*) You can go without the aluminium foil if you're pretty sure the bushing has a bottom, but most don't.

Latest posts

')