RGA121 Violin Finish Makeover

• Thread starter Deaderzombie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys, So I have this nice RGA 121 I got a few years ago. It's been through a lot and the insides are kinda dying on me. The bridge is corroded and the back is scratched up (That's an aesthetic thing I can deal with but I'll try to repaint it and get a new Gibraltar Plus bridge.)
So at some point one the screws start coming undone for the bridge pickup and weren't holding the pickup properly and even when I tried screwing it back in, it came undone. Younger me thought super glue should work great. So now I want to restore this guitar, repaint it, repup it, and rewire it. My questions are
1. How should I deal with the glue holding the pickup to the body and further how should I deal with the fact that the screws aren't holding the guitar to the body?
2. Is it worth salvaging or would the money go better towards a new guitar?
Any advice would be appreciated here, thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
Super glue will release with heat, so I'd hold a soldering iron on the glued screw and heat it up little by little until you're able to turn it. Once the bond is broken, it should come out fairly easily. Once you have the screws out, you can dowel and redrill new holes. If you want to go a step further, you can even get little brass inserts for machine screws and prevent this issue in the future.

As for the value, you have to decide that for yourself. If you like the guitar enough to spend a little bit of time fixing it, then go for it.

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
It's not worth it, obviously. He should sell it to me for a sixpack.

I see your six pack and raise you a bottle of jack daniels.

As for the build, try to be careful and thorough. These are getting difficult to find IIRC. Don't let that stop you though.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Id give it a good strip, a tung oil finish on the body, and send the neck out for ss frets, and keep her forever if I was you.

')