RGA8 Bridge bad reputation?

• Thread starter MrPepperoniNipples
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
Hey gang!

I found an RGA8 on reverb with SD Blackouts for $600. Mid-range guitar that's not too pricey, after market pickups already installed, and right in my budget. It seems like the perfect guitar.

I've heard some horrible things about the guitar though, namely about the bridge and the double-locking system. I haven't really heard anything substantial, though, no reasons as to why people don't like it or what it's issues are.

So what are its issues?

Other options I've looked into are just an RG8 that I can upgrade, but I'm worried about the playability of those. Other option is a used iron label.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
The bridge is a love/hate thing. I've had my rga8 for a few years now, and I definitely prefer the Gibraltar on my iron label S8. But the tone of my rga8 is beefier (both with D-activators). My fixed edge system currently needs some work, so right now I'm not a fan.

All that aside I wouldn't spend a dime over $400 for an rga8. And it would have to be in impeccable condition.

n4t

Reaction score
I've had mine for 4 years. No problem with the anchor screw.

The bridge is fine. I play on everything from my Jackson's kahler to floyd to individual saddles. The bridge on the RGA8 is as or more comfortable than anything else. And massive. Some ppl just like to complain about stuff on forums.

The only awful thing about the RGA8 is the stock pickups. They are god-freakin-inexcusably-awful.

markw1313

Reaction score
I've had mine for 3 years. No problems with the bridge apart from a brief problem with the tone on the high G string - I tune GBEADGBE - changed to a different brand, that solved it.

The only awful thing about the RGA8 is the stock pickups. They are god-freakin-inexcusably-awful.

I couldn't agree more, they're bloody dreadful. The first thing I did was replace them with a set of Bare Knuckle Emeralds.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys!

I actually ended up buying an RGA8 on Friday, with Seymour Duncan Blackouts already installed, haa

yuoshie

Reaction score
My fixed edge system currently needs some work, so right now I'm not a fan.
MlWpzF

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just got a used RGA 8 about an hour ago believe it or not haha... I believe it is one of the older ones, and the screw in the back of the bridge looks great. It has never been ripped out and the bridge has been set just right.

The pickups are pretty :poop:, but I also placed an order for a set of Seymour Duncan Retributions when I picked up this bad girl! So excited; I haven't had actives in quite a while.

NGD will be up soon!

Latest posts

')