RGA8 Discontinued?

• Thread starter anthonylbest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anthonylbest

Guitarist, Youtuber, Collector
Reaction score
Ok.. so I bought an RGA8 at what thought was a pretty sick price... sub $500 on black friday. However now I am looking around and a few stores are marking this as not available.... which makes me think this line has been discontinued.. can anyone comment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Johnathan

Gearhead
Reaction score
It's still available in most stores in Europe, I would not be surprised though if it is going to be discontinued to be honest. It will probably be surpassed by the Iron label 8 string which lands around the same price range.

collywolly

Reaction score
Musician's Friend and Sweetwater aren't just sold out, the RGA8s are marked unavailable and they won't be getting more shipments in. They usually will still let you buy one if they're expecting more :/

anthonylbest

Reaction score
Well my RGA8 showed up today. And even if it is being discontinued... this thing is MEAN! For 450 shipped. It blows away the RG8 I played the week before.

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
I think it's just sold out the RGA offers an arched top body and they don't have a model other than that that's an arch top so, I'm pretty sure it's just sold out.

ratm2020

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me with all the options they have now...plus all the deep discounting...

anthonylbest

Reaction score
I just had someone at Sweetwater tell me it's been discontinued. And the black friday closeout was a one time offer.

Broken_Hyren

Reaction score
I think it has to do with the bridges.

While I really do wish I had gotten an RGA8 instead of a RG8 (for the tuning stability).. ah If only I'd known!?) I think that they are perhaps more costly for Ibanez to produce

Plus they weren't very popular with most people. So I think they thought, why bother? People mostly want passives and they don't like the costly bridges.

(hence perhaps why the new TAM 10 model doesn't have the wizard III either, a shame, honestly. )

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
I'm not surprised its discontinued. All the ones I've played have felt like garbage. The other Ibby 8s in that same price bracket have consistently out performed them.

s2k9k

Reaction score
All of the RGA line has been discontinued. Which sucks since it is such a cool body design. They never really had enough RGA options IMO.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
I'm not surprised its discontinued. All the ones I've played have felt like garbage.

I usually try to refrain from bashing on guitars in my posts, but at least from my personal experience, this is just how it is. My friend got one right when they came out, and I got to do some playing on it, and it really did just feel really cheap, and absolutely 'meh' in every sense of the word, almost like the whole thing was made of balsa wood or something.

I can't really comment on the sound of it, as I played it through a Line 6 combo that I think may have been built as the Ten Commandments were being drafted, but I couldn't get into the feel of that guitar at all. :ugh: I got an RG8 a few months after this, and that one feels way more solid than the RGA, by miles, at least to me.

')