RGA8 Horn mod

demigod

Reaction score
I've just bought an RGA8 and love it to bits, but unfortunately the 24th fret access isnt all that great. So i got the bright idea of cutting away a chunk from the horn :D
Only thing is I'm worried that it will comprimise the strenght of the guitar and neck joint (and if the neck will start flexing)
from this:
RGA8BK.jpg

To this :lol::
RGA8BKHornmod.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

idunno

Reaction score
Do it! Go slow and check your work often and anything can be achieved!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Also make sure to set up a guard or template if you are going to route. If you are just gonna start sanding/filing away at it then yeah don't get too crazy. Should look really cool though!

demigod

Reaction score
Ok cool thx just worried about the strength. I'm gonna try beveling it first and after that if that isnt enough i'll do away with those parts.
Other problem, how do i paint it black (lol) again with it looking like 2 different paint jobsafter the wood is routed away?

pathos45

Reaction score
Ok cool thx just worried about the strength. I'm gonna try beveling it first and after that if that isnt enough i'll do away with those parts.
Other problem, how do i paint it black (lol) again with it looking like 2 different paint jobsafter the wood is routed away?

would be easier to strip the entire body then just repaint it once you have the work done, plus that way you could paint it any colour you want and it will be a even more custom guitar for you.

demigod

Reaction score
Lol the idea wasnt to make acustom guitar but thx. I really like the black finish that it has now, very....black. And i want to stay as far away from stripping the guitar of all its paint. Its not even a week old yet XD

vansinn

Reaction score
Methinks it'll look very neat if executed like in the photofinish.
I don't think a little extra recess would weeken the joint with a mahogany body like that.

I do believe you'll have a hard time getting the paint work to match. Don't forget it isn't jsut about the black, but rather also the filler, primer, base coatings, and then the final layers.
Note layers in plural..

demigod

Reaction score
hahahaha agreed. Speaking of paint, how many layers of what and what kinds of paint should i use on guitars?

')