RGA8 worth it?

• Thread starter Bramerstein
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really want an 8 string. I feel like my creative abilities and songwriting are being held back by a lack of strings. Im low on cash and i want to know if the RGA8 is worth the money + the extra cash for new pups. Or should I wait for newer models to come out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
Not from what i have heard. id wait for a modle that will bridge the gap between the RG8 and the RG2228. or get a ATX8 or agile from what other folks on here have said.

Djent

Obviously!
Reaction score
Get a Schecter Damien Elite 8. It has everything that the RGA8 really lacks, like a quilted maple top, EMG 808s, Grover tuners, and a "conventional" hardtail bridge (I've heard that the Fixed Edge bridge on the RGA8 isn't really that good). The only things that the RGA8 has and the Damien lacks are the mid-freq. boost switch, the half-inch longer scale, and the thinner neck. And, the Damien is around $70 cheaper, plus the $200+ you'd save with the 808s.

SpiritCrusher

Reaction score
well of ur on a real budget u could go for a schecter omen 8.
and like the others mentioned the damien elite is good to, but the baseball bat necks kinda makes me not want one

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
well of ur on a real budget u could go for a schecter omen 8.
and like the others mentioned the damien elite is good to, but the baseball bat necks kinda makes me not want one

I wouldn't really consider them "baseball bat" necks. Play with a Gibson 50's profile or a Fender Boatneck...those are baseball bat necks.

The Schecter's have a nice gradual C. Thicker than Ibanez but definitely not super chunky.

splinter8451

Reaction score
If you can't write stuff you are proud of with 6 strings... I do not see why 8 strings will make it better :lol: :flame:

RGA8 is worth it if you get good pickups, but then you are in the range of a used RG2228 almost.

I would just look around for a used 2228 dude :D

JamieB

Reaction score
I own a RGA8 and its awsome to play.

stock pickups are terrible not going to lie to you

bridge dont have a clue what everyones issue is with it i think its fantstic and set up properly its a dream.

If you want to buy a guitar thats ready to play get the damien elite 8

but if you want something thats is a dream to play but needs a bit of work with pups ect

RGA8 for the win!

hope this helps bro

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I thought that between all of the 8 strings I've played, the RGA8 felt the cheapest. By a lot. For the $100 more, the Schecter Hellraiser and Blackjack ATX 8 strings, I thought, were much better guitars, and also come stock with much better pickups :2c:

Also, I think that people exaggerate a little when they say "baseball bat" neck. I thought the Schecter necks were very comfortable. A little thicker than my SC-608B, but I still really liked the way they felt and played.

Reaction score
Shecter is out of the question. The worst necks ive ever played.
I guess im gunna lurk around and splurge for a used 2228 on the interwebs. Or wait till ibanez offers more 8 string models.

I AM AHAB!!!!
Reaction score
schecter necks are baseball necks and theyre larger than the ibbys? good god id hate to feel how thin the neck on the 2228 is

Reaction score
Shecter is out of the question. The worst necks ive ever played.
I guess im gunna lurk around and splurge for a used 2228 on the interwebs. Or wait till ibanez offers more 8 string models.

I own an RGA8 and I happen to like the neck. I think its very comfortable to play. I played a Schecter Damien Elite and I didn't care for the neck at all. The pickups on the RGA8 need to be replaced at some point but oh well. Finding a used RG2228 is a good idea as well.

rekab

Reaction score
Having owned a Damien elite 8 I'd say skip it. I didnt care for it much at all. The emgs are the only thing good about it in my opinion. I did not like the neck, the finish is nice but the black one is borderline glittery gray, and the scale could definitely be longer. Overall it plays ok but for a long time ibanez fan like myself, the feel just wasn't right. I currently have an agile 828 that shipped out yesterday so hopefully it will satisfy my needs for an 8. Only reason I don't have an ibanez 8 is the cost.

Reaction score
Ibanez necks are the biggest selling point for me, theyre just amazing. I was thinking agile but ive never felt or played one. In my band I play in drop Ab on 7 and 6 string guitars. I was thinking just tuning my 7 down to an 8 for the time being, but the strings arent readily available. Anyone have a place where I could order an 8 string set?

Weimat01

Reaction score
I have an RGA8 and the neck is really good, not that ive been able to compare it to any other 8 string. And i agree that the pickups aren't great. I am considering swapping them out myself. I would definitely factor that in when deciding what is best value. Good luck man :)

baconbag

Reaction score
I would go with the Ibanez but DEFINATELY switch out the stock pickups.

bigchocolateman

Reaction score
The neck is really the selling point for this guitar. Compared to my friends damien elite I enjoy the feel and comfort of the Ibanez much more.
New pickups and you are good to go,
although saving up a few extra and going prestige definitely isn't a bad idea.

TJV

Reaction score
I got my RGA8 today and it's just what I've read.
I can't even remember when I've played guitar with that poor pick ups. Maybe 17 years ago with my first electric guitar.

I'm not using higher range much but that cutaway isn't deep enough. My hand stumbled on it very soon I started playing it. Neck feels good though. Fits like a glove. Like any other ibanez. With some modifications or whole new body that guitar would be awesome. Pick up change would turn that guitar into another level.:shred:

')