RGD7321 or stick with Interceptor 727?

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
Getting a little tired of the neck dive and general chunkiness of my Interceptor and thinking of ditching it for an RGD7321. It seems like my perfect guitar, all the good bits from the Agile (baritone scale, looks awesome) plus the uber playability and super fast neck of an Ibanez which I've always loved :shred:

I don't think there's anywhere that sells them in the UK so I don't want to set my sights on it only to be disappointed. Really need someone to give me some advice and sway me one way or the other. I still like the Agile but it's a bitch to play standing whereas I really need something that is comfortable.

As I said, the longer scale is not an issue, but the neck thickness is. Is the Ibanez really that much thinner? On paper it's barely 1.5mm difference :scratch:

Bridge pickup placement sucks, but dunno if it's a deal breaker. Basswood isn't ideal either but I'll be loading this sucker with BKPs just like my Agile so I'm not worried about tone.

Really I want someone who has owned both to let me know if the difference in comfort and playability (especially when standing) is significant enough for me to switch.

EDIT: Don't mean to patronise, but to clarify, I'm talking about this. NOT the old 25.5" RG. Sorry if that was already obvious :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I'd say get an RG7621 or RG7421.

As for neck thickness, if a neck is thick with a round cut and small radius, like a Gibson, it feels big...if it is 1.5mm thinner, with a large radius, and D shaped, it will feel thin. Fret size also matters.

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
I'd say get an RG7621 or RG7421.

As for neck thickness, if a neck is thick with a round cut and small radius, like a Gibson, it feels big...if it is 1.5mm thinner, with a large radius, and D shaped, it will feel thin. Fret size also matters.

Thanks but it really does have to be a baritone for me. I tune down to A and I like the feel of a tight low string. 64 gauge on a 27" is pretty much perfect at the moment so I'd rather not rock the boat if I can help it.

As for the other thing. Are you saying that the difference between the feel of the two necks is significant? As far as I can tell the frets are the same (Dunlop 6100 if I had to guess) and the radius is at least 15" for both.

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
Save up and get the RGD2127.

Looks like the exact same guitar but costs twice as much because of a trem that I wouldn't use and would likely block off. Sorry, should have mentioned before, I stick to fixed bridges. Blocked the floyd on my Agile with wood blocks but it still gives me grief occasionally...never again!

The RGD7321 is a step down from the Agile quality-wise.

How so? Because of the woods? Remember, I'm putting a pair of Aftermaths in this thing...I won't be left wanting for tone or versatility, regardless of the basswood. From my experience Ibanez fretwork and general quality is good. I have an RGA42 and the whole thing is flawless. That's what got me considering the RGD actually.

Reaction score
Thanks but it really does have to be a baritone for me. I tune down to A and I like the feel of a tight low string. 64 gauge on a 27" is pretty much perfect at the moment so I'd rather not rock the boat if I can help it.

As for the other thing. Are you saying that the difference between the feel of the two necks is significant? As far as I can tell the frets are the same (Dunlop 6100 if I had to guess) and the radius is at least 15" for both.

RG7421XL

Made in Japan, 27" scale.

If the radius is the same, and the frets and the same, and the neck carve is the same, 1.5mm thicker will be slightly noticeable. Just imagine your guitar with low low action.

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
RG7421XL

Made in Japan, 27" scale.

Looks good, but aren't they uber rare? It's hard enough getting a recent Ibanex here in the UK, let alone something that obscure.

It costs that much more because it is made in Japan, with noticeably better wood.

I hear what you're saying but to be honest, I've put a great deal of emphasis on tonewoods in the past when in reality, good pickups and a decent amp seem to make a sweet tone out of almost anything. I can't help but think of all the guys out there who buy crappy RGs for next to nothing, stick a good set of pups in and they're playing Chaosphere covers and all sorts of other cool stuff. Not downplaying the importance of good quality materials, just saying...it isn't my number one concern :)

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
The Prestiges always play a lot better than the Indo counterparts. The neck on the 2127 is like sex and it rings out like crazy because of the titanium truss rod.

I must admit. That sounds sick :D But it's like £1200 here and then I'm getting £200 pickups, PLUS I'll almost certainly end up blocking off the tremolo. So it's $2300 for something that I still have to modify myself. Not sure if a sexy neck and a little extra sustain will justify that. But thanks...I'll definitely look into it :)

Reaction score
I must admit. That sounds sick :D But it's like £1200 here and then I'm getting £200 pickups, PLUS I'll almost certainly end up blocking off the tremolo. So it's $2300 for something that I still have to modify myself. Not sure if a sexy neck and a little extra sustain will justify that. But thanks...I'll definitely look into it :)

IMO sustain is one of the most important things.

It doesn't just effect how long notes ring out, but how palm mutes sound, and pick attack.

If a guitar is loud unplugged, you know it probably has good sustain.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

Why do you say that? I've gotten some pretty good sustain out of quieter guitars, too.

OP: What about shaving a tiny bit off the neck and refinishing? Or getting lightweight tuners like Sperzels?

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
IMO sustain is one of the most important things.

It doesn't just effect how long notes ring out, but how palm mutes sound, and pick attack.

Yeah I'm with you on that. My Interceptor rings out even when unplugged and I love the tone I get from the thing. I'm certain more sustain is always better...I just don't think it's £500+ better, if you know what I mean. Bareknuckles will offer me decent sustain regardless.

In a perfect world I'd have the money to buy the 2127 and tremolnos would be on sale in Britain. But since neither of those things appears to be the case, it's the RGD7321 or nothing :(

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
OP: What about shaving a tiny bit off the neck and refinishing? Or getting lightweight tuners like Sperzels?

It's definitely an option I've considered. The tuners would be a DIY job and inexpensive but there's no guarantee that it will solve the diving. The neck/headstock dimensions plus the strap placement and weight orientation is very poorly thought out IMO. When I say it dives, I mean it REALLY dives. From normal playing position to pointing at the ground in about a second if I let go. Maybe it's the way I carry it or my strap.

As for the neck shaving. I'm not confident doing it myself which means maybe paying somebody to do it. Truth is I prefer the feel of an unpainted neck so theoretically it only needs some sandpaper and a good eye then a refinish but without proper guidelines or dimensions that I thnk will be comfortable, it's just guesswork. I mean, how much would I shave off? Should it be reshaped? Will it affect the strength of the neck at all? Truth is I don't like the hassle involved or the potential expense or time for something that may have little noticeable effect. I'd much rather go with a finished product that I know and trust rather than go down the modification route.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Shaving won't help much with neck dive, but the tuners might help. I thought you wanted a thinner neck.

Maybe you could buy an old neck on eBay and try shaving it to see how it goes. You'll want to seal it with at least an oil finish or else the maple will brown.

EDIT: The shape of the neck will affect the feel more than the maximum thickness. As others said, a D shape will feel thinner than a C or V.

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
Shaving won't help much with neck dive, but the tuners might help. I thought you wanted a thinner neck.

Maybe you could buy an old neck on eBay and try shaving it to see how it goes. You'll want to seal it with at least an oil finish or else the maple will brown.

Tbh I'm pretty much decided on the shaving the neck option. Not the direction I want to go in. I really just want advice on the RGD7321 specifically. Thanks though :)

Eff the RGD and those hideous inlays...

That doesn't help me at all. Besides, the inlays are cool. Or do you prefer the boring white dots? Personal preference mate :D Is there any legitimate reason why you don't like the guitar? Have you played it?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, the RGD7321's are pretty okay in quality. I wasn't blown away with the one I tried, but it didn't have some of the more amateur-ish quality issues that the RD7321's have. I think the Agile is the better overall choice, but as much as I like super-fast Ibanez necks, they aren't a make-or-break thing for me. I've noticed that my hands get less tired jamming on a more moderately shaped neck like a Jackson.

It's all personal preference. If you want the Ibanez, then go for it. If you end up changing your mind, you can always trade it for something else. Only trouble is that you'll keep losing money if you buy new and sell used.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Tbh I'm pretty much decided on the shaving the neck option. Not the direction I want to go in. I really just want advice on the RGD7321 specifically. Thanks though :)

That doesn't help me at all. Besides, the inlays are cool. Or do you prefer the boring white dots? Personal preference mate :D Is there any legitimate reason why you don't like the guitar? Have you played it?

I simply think it's a really ugly guitar at least as far as the inlays go. I typically prefer to not have them at all actually but that's neither here nor there. If the neck is anything like the neck on the RG7321 it probably doesn't feel nearly as nice as the other MIJ Ibbys. I just don't think you'd be upgrading at all by switching to that guitar. You're better off w/ another Agile... :shrug:

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
...I just don't think you'd be upgrading at all by switching to that guitar. You're better off w/ another Agile... :shrug:

Agreed, the Agile you have right now is probably a bit better than the RGD7321.

Save up and get the RGD2127. The RGD7321 is a step down from the Agile quality-wise.

Also agreed. You'd be better off saving up and snagging an RGD2127. Overall a better quality guitar, and if you want to pup swap to something nice later on, may as well put good pickups in a good guitar, rather than good pickups in a mid-level guitar. :2c:

Latest posts

')