RGD7321 or stick with Interceptor 727?

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice everyone. I've decided to forget about the RGD7321. The effort required to get one wouldn't be worth it, especially since in many regards it would be a downgrade. I'm gonna start saving for a 2127 but tbh I'm hoping something with a fixed bridge comes along before then.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Here’s my stance on the RGD7321, based partly on wanting one for what it has to offer, and from trying out the 6 string RGD’s that are available here in Canada.

On what it has to offer, it’s what you’d probably expect from an Indo made Ibanez RG7321, Same Neck, same feel against your body while sitting or standing, good quality bridge. From what I have heard about the distance of the bridge pickup to the bridge itself, apparently it doesn’t really affect your tone all that much. Benefit of having a 26.5 inch scale allowing you to use thinner string, but it won’t be a MASSIVE difference.

Now from what I know about RGD’s personally, is that sexcellent arm rest cut and upper fret access cut. It really does help you access the upper frets better, allowing you to bend you your wrist more, would only be more accessible if the horn wasn’t there at all, but then it wouldn’t be an Ibanez. The Arm cut I find is miles beyond RG or RGA, it’s comfortable as hell, and I actually found myself preferring it to my Apex 2, my arm rests a little higher up where the beginning of the bend is located, and does feel uncomfortable to me, didn’t have this issue with RGD’s.

Other than fret access and the arm cut comfort, this is generally just a longer scale RG7321.

So in other words you are playing a more comfortable longer scale RG7321, so it’s your call.

Personally I will gun for the RGD2127z, and I will definitely block that trem, if I can, apparently the zero point system makes that hard to do apparently. But prestige level neck, fine tuning via the bridge, and sexcellent build quality all around means I’d rather have this than a remodeled RG7321.

Now I’m not saying forget the RGD7321, just my 2 cents mate. I’ve tried Agile and I wasn’t really impressed. So balls in your court brother

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
There is always the Ltd sc-607b. It has a fixed bridge, 27 inch scale. The neck is thicker than Ibanez by a little bit, but it is very easy to play on. It's not that much thicker, it's more rounder really, that's what it feels like. The only problem is that it has emg pickups, and an odd pickup placement. If you know what youre doing, it would be easy to install bkp's (I.e. Emg dc-35 covers, same size as the 707, just fit the pup in so the guitar looks the same. Or pickup rings) into it.

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
@Sepultorture

Thanks for that post. Great info and advice. My wrist majorly rubs against the side of my Agile and fret access, even with it being neck-through and all, isn't great. I like to have the guitar slung low so being able to get a good grip on the neck and overall comfort is HUGELY important to me. At the moment I've got a guitar that neck dives and leaves my wrists and hands sore...very frustrating considering it is otherwise fantastic. The RGD shape and neck dimensions really appeal to me as a result. I think I'll save for an RGD2127z and block it off as you say. Then I'd probably have my ideal 7.

There is always the Ltd sc-607b. It has a fixed bridge, 27 inch scale. The neck is thicker than Ibanez by a little bit, but it is very easy to play on. It's not that much thicker, it's more rounder really, that's what it feels like. The only problem is that it has emg pickups, and an odd pickup placement. If you know what youre doing, it would be easy to install bkp's (I.e. Emg dc-35 covers, same size as the 707, just fit the pup in so the guitar looks the same. Or pickup rings) into it.

Yeah, that's an option too. I already changed the 707s in my Agile for BKPs so I know what to do (although it was a bodge job last time :D) but as you say, the middle pickup is just weird. I'd have to play one to really make my mind up. That said I would have to really play a 2127 too, but the only seven at my local guitar centre is an old RG7321. Plus whenever I mention to the people who work there "got any prestige sevens?" they respond with "this is the only seven string Ibanez make" which is just a pathetic tactic to make me buy the damn thing. Either that or they're idiots :D

Hybrid138

Reaction score
My Septor doesn't have neck dive... At least that I've noticed...

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
My Septor doesn't have neck dive... At least that I've noticed...

Hmmmm...well my Interceptor dives like a champ. Not as bad as when I tried out a Xiphos a while back, but still pretty bad. If I have to consciously shift it up with my left hand whilst playing, then it's a problem. Compared to my RGA it's awful.....and yes I know that comparing 27" scale to 25.5" is unfair but then the guys at Rondo should have thought about that. I mean they marketed it as a shredder yet if I even try to go near the top frets, the neck ends up horizontal due to lack of leverage and I have to twist my wrist painfully to get to the lower strings. That's my experience with it at least.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I used to have a xiphos and I completely agree about that neck dive. I'm guessing I must hold my guitar differently or something?

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
Anyone got anything they can add about the RGD2127z? Did a search and very few people seem to have one. I mean, it's £1200 over here, is it really worth that?

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Anyone got anything they can add about the RGD2127z? Did a search and very few people seem to have one. I mean, it's £1200 over here, is it really worth that?

many prestige RG's fall into that price range

the build quality you KNOW it will be top notch, as they pay extreme attention to detail, there have been a very few ones with minors flaws but they will swap yours for a mint one asap. it really comes to the quality of the build, and the neck, the carve of the prestige necks a find are a little more contoured, where the indo made 7's have squarish shoulders, the prestige guitars feel rounder in the shoulders, when your thumb moves over the contours you feel a good transition fron middle of neck to right up to the fretboard, extremely fast, smooth and comofortable. i vastly like the prestige necks more than the standards. also you won't have to worry about faulty wiring, shitty setup, although i would still get one seup to my liking. i have played prestige guitars before and they feel like a vastly better instrument. not LACS level of quality mind you, but definitely a huge leap above the standard guitars.

sadly the pickusp still need to be changed out with something mroe of your choice

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Hmmmm...well my Interceptor dives like a champ. Not as bad as when I tried out a Xiphos a while back, but still pretty bad. If I have to consciously shift it up with my left hand whilst playing, then it's a problem. Compared to my RGA it's awful.....and yes I know that comparing 27" scale to 25.5" is unfair but then the guys at Rondo should have thought about that. I mean they marketed it as a shredder yet if I even try to go near the top frets, the neck ends up horizontal due to lack of leverage and I have to twist my wrist painfully to get to the lower strings. That's my experience with it at least.

Might it have something to do with the amount of wood removed to install the trem?

Perhaps the body on the Septor is heavier? :shrug:

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
@Sepultorture

Thanks, that really sums it up I guess. The overall quality plus the feel and comfort of the neck are the true selling points. I think up until recently I bought guitars based on their 'on paper' specs rather than their actual merits. I mean, I couldn't possibly try out an Interceptor before I bought it, which is what put me in this situation. Truth is, now that I know what I like, I won't make the same mistake and I'm willing to pay the premium for something that is really good. Not hating on Agile, but I genuinely think that if I was gonna get used to the feel of their guitars, it would have happened by now. My theory is that it's whatever your first guitar was. If it was a Les Paul or whatever, you dig something a bit chunkier whereas Ibanez people will always crave that speed and comfort. Agile just doesn't quite cut it IMO.

Might it have something to do with the amount of wood removed to install the trem?

Perhaps the body on the Septor is heavier? :shrug:

Maybe. Although my tremolo cavity has some wood packed in to block it off. Plus I tried stacking some lead weights under the bridge but it did nothing. The whole guitar is definitely disproportionate though. The headstock and tuners are like a brick on the end of a maple pole. Makes me wonder why headless never caught on :D

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
Could be I got a naff bit of wood. I mean the mahogany body of my old RGA is smaller but weighs more than my Agile.

Tbh, I could probably eliminate the neck dive with a less slippery strap, but I shouldn't have to. Every manufacturer should design their instruments to balance. My friends RGA8 feels luxurious in comparison and I'm not even used to playing 8 strings, plus in theory it's headstock should be heavier due to the extra tuner. Not only that but on paper it's neck is similar in girth yet I can shred right up to the 24th fret...and it's a bolt-on too! Something ain't right :)

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
The only non japanese ibanez I've played that has played ALMOST as good as an MIJ is my vbt700. Every non painted neck Of theirs I've tried has always felt pretty rubbish compared to my lovely MIJ models :)

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
The only non japanese ibanez I've played that has played ALMOST as good as an MIJ is my vbt700. Every non painted neck Of theirs I've tried has always felt pretty rubbish compared to my lovely MIJ models :)

aye, you have to ware those bastards in to get it to your hands liking. the prestige 7's though have that satin feel that is just tits, it wears but when it does wear your hands have adjusted to the ware it still feels fast.

Ewan

Reaction score
From normal playing position to pointing at the ground in about a second if I let go. Maybe it's the way I carry it or my strap.
That sounds extreme. I've only ever noticed neck dive if I have a really slippery strap and it's pretty much the same on any guitar I've played. Most cheap straps are made from a weave which is pretty slippery. I'd say that getting a strap with felt on the underside, or other reasonably sticky material would do the job. Unless you play topless, in which case you may need to find a way of getting the strap to stick to your skin??

Check out some decent straps.

Acre

The Gent in Djent
Reaction score
That sounds extreme. I've only ever noticed neck dive if I have a really slippery strap and it's pretty much the same on any guitar I've played. Most cheap straps are made from a weave which is pretty slippery. I'd say that getting a strap with felt on the underside, or other reasonably sticky material would do the job. Unless you play topless, in which case you may need to find a way of getting the strap to stick to your skin??

Check out some decent straps.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will. The strap I have now is made of cheap, slippery nylon so literally anything will be better than this.

I LOLed at your thing about playing topless. For all you know I'm a chick! (Ah, just noticed my tagline is 'The Gent in Djent', busted). But yeah, I don't do that much so something made from quality leather or suade would work fine :D I'll try one out and see if my neck dive disappears.

Latest posts

')