Rgd7421: pup advice

• Thread starter jimbean5006
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jimbean5006

Reaction score
played one and liked it, didnt love the pickups. Going with a 6505 amp, cant remember the marshall model i tested it on. but my question is this, im looking for a pickup to give me that punch i want( ie. whitechapel, tas, etc). there are a million threads on this with no exact answer. just wondering if someone is out there that knows what i need fropm experience due to similar taste.

ps. this site is awesome and the community here is very knowledgable and your info has taught me a lot in the short time i have been here. thanks a lot

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
its a fairly new guitar. pretty sure many folks havent had a chance to test one out. That being said its basswood like the old rg7421 the only difference being the extra scale so you can start by researching whats best for that model.

for basswood bodied guitars i see a lot of people here recommending: dimarzio crunch lab liquifire combo, blaze, x2n, bkp miracleman set, and aftermath set. hunt down those and see which suit your style. :)

jimbean5006

Reaction score
well all the bands i like to play and listen to play emgs.... but they are esp endorsed bands most of the time. i just dont want to swing that way and run into problems as far as sound or recording goes. my choice is an i banez basswood and we all know esp is mahogony. just dont want there to be issues. of course there is a million youtubers with emgs playing the music i like lol.... it makes it an easy choice. im just sayin someone stop me if im making a mistake and wont get the sound i need from them

jimbean5006

Reaction score
any input on bare knuckle war pigs or painkiller sound pretty good on the samples, but the samples arent rly deathcore or hardcore so....

jimbean5006

Reaction score
ok, emgs? blackouts? bare knuckle after maths?
down to three, someone help mmmmeeeeeeeeeeee!

jimbean5006

Reaction score
i did watch the video on the site for those, but id rather here those pickups playing a 7string, and something heavier

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
I have Blackouts in my mahogany RGA7 and to me, it felt as if my guitar came to life after hearing it for the first time. In your case, it seems that your budget isn't limited if you considering BKP's. If that is the case, then cool :). If you are looking at BKP's, based on tones you're looking to replicate, I'd suggest the Miracle Man set since they are voiced similar to the EMG 85/81 set with more dynamics.

27duuude

Picky about tone
Reaction score
whitechapel uses emgs most of the time but since you're using basswood emgs are out of the picture. Blackouts have the chug tone for whitechapel but they don't have that much punch compared to passives but still more than emgs. I'd go with something passive by dimarzio. the only bkp I've tried is the aftermath and with enough gain you can get some chug tones. Do some research into dimarzio and bkp. On both sites they have sound clips that you can listen too.

jimbean5006

Reaction score
thanks guys! zimbloth froim theaxeplace suggested aftermaths or mm i beleive. i like the aftermaths better. but yeh i didnt think emgs would give me that bounce and the tone i wanted with basswood so i was looking for someone who listens to the shit i do that hopefully plays a basswood ibanez. and just use the pups they usew to get the sound i need. so then its down to two, dimarzio and bkp. i like bkp but dam the shipping and finding it seems to be a hassle lol. ill try to find some dimarzio clips of someone playing my kind of music

jimbean5006

Reaction score
any clips on here you could link me, unfortunately i work in a hospital and IT banned youtube or video sites. anyone on soundcloud u could link me to. i can pull that up fortunately. thanks again

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
your fuckin useless... next
Oh my... That's certainly not how you make friends... :nono: :lol:

By the way, I've never played the CrunchLab, but I have played the Evo7, Blaze Custom, X2N7 and Blaze Bridge in the bridge position. The BC seems to have the most "punch" to it as far as I can tell. And it has a nice meaty grind on power chords in the lower registers. The Liquifire I just threw in there bc the EQ curve looks VERY close to the Air Norton 7 and I know a lot of folks seem to enjoy the Air Norton 7/Blaze Custom combo.

I have been told that the Liquifire is slightly smoother than the Air Norton, but I cannot confirm this. However, I do find the Liquifire to be a very smooth neck pup for what it's worth.

jimbean5006

Reaction score
haha sry man, just seemed to be a one way conversation without a broad spectrum of advice. i dont need a hardcore "this is it and nothing else" kind of person giving advice. unlike you polite gentlemen with experience and offering more knowledge on a variety of things. another thing, any diff in recording quality from active or passive? harder? easier? bout to put a pod farm on order or just buy reaper, undecided at the moment. or maybe just torrent the reaper lol

i know emgs are "sterile" sounding. didnt know if there would be a big diff in controling that with passive

jl-austin

Reaction score
I am curious about this guitar as well. Also, just like you, I am not sure what I would put in it. I know one thing is certain, I am not throwing $500 in pickups in a $600 guitar, that just ain't gonna happen (for financial reasons).

')