RGT-7 QL RBB XL

• Thread starter RGGR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RGGR

Reaction score
See my work is being advertised here, so thought it was best to shine some light on the matter.

Some 2-3 years ago, after listening my whole life to metal/hard rock....I decided it was time to start playing the guitar. And without a guitar in the house, it would never happen, so I bought a RG2550GK, and started learning to play. Damn difficult that is!!!!!

I got intriqued by 7 strings guitars and got the urge for a JS-7.
Rumors were Ibanez was bringing one out.....and I decided to roll my own.
I spend days reading up on stuff on projectguitar.com, and one day I took the plunge.

Picked up Limba body blank from local woodsupplier, order Ebony fretboard from Lmii....sourced all other parts and got going.

My JS-7 guitar is the guitar that started it all. It took me almost 2 years to get to stage it started to look like a guitar.

JS7_primed.jpg

Currently she is at the painter getting dressed up in a Candy Apple Red 50s flame job.

As the project took some time (sourcing parts, figuring out how to do stuff, making mistakes, covering them up again, blablabla....) Ibanez brought out the RGT320QM RBB.

P1010078.jpg

What can I say,.... I was in love.

Trip to the woodsupplier brought home some more Limba, some Maple, some Wenge......Edge Lo Pro off the net..some awesome quilted maple..and we were off again. Reading up about 7 strings and extended scale lengths I thought it was cool to do something like that. So there it was 27", 24 fret RGT-7 QL RBB XL.

Quilt1.jpg

While adding an Ibanez 540P tripple bucker, and a Maxxas to my collection, I got the urge for a 540Pii. Hard to find......impatient as hell.......woodworking skill improving. Darn....were off again...but with a twist.

540Pvii, 7 string version of 540pii with tripple bucker set-up. While making templates based on 540pii from other 540pii owner, I got hold of my own 540pii.

Twins.jpg

With proper body in the house, work progressed nicely.

CIMG3235.jpg

540pvii_controlcavity1.jpg

Currently waiting for custom pick-up ring and neckplate.

I'm not very good at waiting, so next project was dreamed up. A Zebrano RG-8 with fanned frets. Something like this, but then with 25,5-27,5 fanned frets. Not sure what to do with all these strings.....but fanned frets is challenge to create, and is something different. My body looks like this

CIMG3281-1.jpg

Then I spotted K7 on the net for cheap, thought of turning it into this (right guitar):

both1.jpg

But realized it would be easier to roll my own again. It ended up being two RG-7's. One will be black with white binding (body,neck, headstock), one will be all black. The one with the binding will be called Cocaine. Alder and Mahogany bodies currently completed.

CIMG3300.jpg

So there you have it......all projects in the works.

Oh, wait.....and there there is 6 stringer ESP Axxion type copy for my brother. He was so fed up seeing all this wood being turned into guitars that he demanded his own. What could I do. New Mahogany body blank brought home, left over neck blank from JS-7....and some sweat and tears, and tata...

Axxion_primer.jpg

More pics:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v466/rggr/

As you can see nothing fancy, no CNC, no frills,.....just some cheap tools, and occasional date with local bandsaw and planer.

Oh, and project that is currently in the "dream" stages is a 7 string Maxxas in Candy Lizard Green.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
that black and white LACS Ibanez is owned by one of our members Nikt. I really dig your work, are you looking to build for other people in the future?

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
Yeay Dan,I think he knows, we talk about his concept on jemsite

RGGR: great to have You here. I think that Your projects look awsome. Many people wanted to own those models in a seven string version but Ibanez never made them. Cool that You have talant and You're working on such a beautiful instruments. I'm waiting to see them finished. Can't wait.

cheers

RGGR

Reaction score
I build as a hobby......to get away from daily BS (demanding job, the wife, the kids....etc.) It's a great pleasure turning piece of wood into something that sings and screams. To realize that a dead piece of wood is never dead. That in works, lives, breathes......that only when you ask it politely it let's you shape it in the desired form.

I want to create guitars I wished Ibanez would build for me. But they don't.

Picking up another body blank is easy. $100 worth of wood, $100 worth of hardware.......some primer and paint (when painted properly it can be $$$).....and lots and lots of hours. These hours can't be calculated. It can never be your worth while. That JS-7 is hunderds and hunderds of hours.

I would never do this for a living.

And I hope one day my kids, kids play them and drive their neighbors mad. LOL!

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I like your attitude towards your hobby, I play guitar to get away from Daily BS personally. I'm gonna buy a 7421 and turn it into a black and white Hardtail like the one you want to do. Can't wait to see your work done.

RGGR

Reaction score
Lots of in-progress stuff, can't wait to see some finished guitars!!
In-progress is the best state to be in. When finished it's just another damn guitar.:hbang:

RGGR

Reaction score
Trouble is I can dream-up guitars faster then I can build them. :wallbash:

Reaction score
Dream less... build more... :D:D:D Dude, I cant wait to see that RGT-7 done. Its gonna rule. BUilding guitrs is my dream and your story makes it look so damn easy. :metal: Ill just have to rep you for being so cool. :)

le_ackt

Le-ackt
Reaction score
AWESome STUFF ~ !! a rep for you and the effort of home guitar enginerring

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
To realize that a dead piece of wood is never dead. That in works, lives, breathes......that only when you ask it politely it let's you shape it in the disered form.

That's absolutely awesome. :yesway:

RGGR

Reaction score
Dream less... build more... Dude, I cant wait to see that RGT-7 done. Its gonna rule. BUilding guitrs is my dream and your story makes it look so damn easy. Ill just have to rep you for being so cool.
All these projects in the work are built with a cheap $39.95 Chinese router, $25 jigsaw, a $9.95 workbench, some rasps, some files, and tons of sand paper.

Building a guitar is not rocket science. And you don't need fancy dandy equipment. (more about that later)

Step 1. is signing up with Projectguitar.com and read all the tutorials while asking 400 million dumb questions. The guys out there are very willing to help any newbie.

Step 2. Dream up your dream guitar....and get going.

From Mirc-net (and the likes) I downloaded "illegal" copy of Autocad, and that helps me with laying out exact paper drawings. I have a JS and RG Autocad drawings. The 540Pvii templates I copied from my actual 540pii guitar. The Axxion template was created from Axxion pic of the net, printed out on 4-5 sheets of paper stiched together.

The paper body drawing I copy those to 6mm MDF (glued up sawdust pressed to very easy sandable sheets). I spend some time sanding the body template perfect. With template bit and router I copy the mfd template to the body blank. With solid color on the guitar I use a router, when I want to stain or use natural wood color on guitar I'm more careful with router as there is always chance of tear-outs (and that f*cks up the whole project). So on RGT-7 no router was used. (Robosander and elbow grease.)

I glue up the neck blank. And let neck blank have date with local woodshops planer. Then I beg for access on bandsaw (6 pack always helps in this), and cut the neck to shape (rough). I route trussrod channel. Install pre-radiussed and preslotted fretboards from lmii.com.
Shaping the neck is most pleasant part of the build. As dumb piece of wood suddenly becomes a guitar.

With neck done, I concentrate on the body. Create templates for control, pup and bridge cavities.....route the necessary holes, install the neck.......

Then comes putty, primer, paint stage. I bring guitars to smooth primer stage and then bring body and neck to a pro to have 'm painted. JS-7 is currently being done.

Next up is installing the frets, and installing all hardware. String-up and make some noise.

It looks like an impossible road.....but when you part the whole project out in 100s small projects it's very managable. That's maybe why I have so many projects going. It's so cool to finish one of these steps in road to awesome new guitar.

The building is almost more important then the actual guitar.

Cause if I can do it....anyone can. Honestly.

PS. Axxion is getting black finish. The white is just the primer.

Here some pics to show you some of the steps:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/rggr/Axxion/Axxion_template.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/rggr/Axxion/Bodyblank.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/rggr/Axxion/Roughcut.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/rggr/Axxion/Halfwayroute.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/rggr/Axxion/Axxion_mockup3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/rggr/Axxion/Body_neck_mockup1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/rggr/Axxion/Axxion_primer.jpg

A shortcut to all this is e.g. buy old beat-up RG7620 of ebay (unfortunately the prices are rising on those), and have Christpher Woods CNC you a new RG-7 type body, use neck and hardware from your RG7620 and have awesome LACS copy. There are guys on Projectguitar that do awesome bodies but always order their necks from USACustomGuitars, or Warmoth.

There are soo many ways doing this.......

Reaction score
Thx for the tips man! you're cool. :) My first project will be repainting an old squier body this summer though. I dont really have access to a real workspace... But Ill figure that out.

jtm45

Reaction score
Trouble is I can dream-up guitars faster then I can build them. :wallbash:

I have this problem and i'm not as motivated as you seem to be so very little gets further than the dreaming stage with me unfortunatley.:lol:

I've got a few projects on the go but they're more customisations than actual builds.Still fun though.
I've got a nice quality router here (DeWalt) so i'm gonna' have to get my ass in gear and build something.

Where do you source your timber from RGGR, and do they ship to the UK ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
')