RGT-7 QL RBB XL

• Thread starter RGGR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Tomorrow morning I'm gonno pick-up my JS-7 from the painters. :scream:

It has been there for ages.....but finally I will be able to finish the guitar that started my love affair with building guitars.

Yessssssssss!!!

In mean time I have been slowly finishing the Axxion I'm building for my brothers. It's almost ready to be dropped off at the painters.

RGT-7 RBB XL and 540Pvii will be next on the list.

Just pick-up my newly painted JS-7

CIMG4096.jpg
Very nice! That looks awesome. :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leec

Woopah!
Contributor
Reaction score
Those are some truly gorgeous guitars you're building there, dude. If you do decide you'd build for other people, I'm sure lots of people here will be knocking your virtual door, and I would certainly be one of them.

Top stuff!

RGGR

Reaction score
Are the insides of the cutaways not soft and sculpted?
They are nice and rounded, it's how the light breaks in the picture.

Here are some more:

CIMG4095.jpg

CIMG4099.jpg

CIMG4093.jpg

Those are some truly gorgeous guitars you're building there, dude. If you do decide you'd build for other people, I'm sure lots of people here will be knocking your virtual door, and I would certainly be one of them.
This is my first guitar I have ever build. It took all in all almost 3 years to complete (almost one years it stayed at the painters, though!!!) Lots of hours sanding, shaping, correcting mistakes, etc. It's simply not possible to this on commission basis.

I'm building the Axxion for my brother, right now. Just because he has been nagging for a while, about his own guitar. Some of my other (guitar playing friends) also have asked me to build them their own custom.

And although I'm getting better (read: quicker) at this building guitars thing.....it's still easily 400 hours.

400 hours of escaping stress, work, wife, kids......etc.

Maybe that's why I love building so much.......it's the process of creation that is worth more then the actual guitar.

Although it's pretty neat to see a vision turn into reality. Building something truely unique. Cause when finishing the whole bunch, it will be some guitar players heaven.:hbang:

:shred:

220BX

Reaction score
wow , that looks amazing!! very nice work ...

i am eager to see the finished product!!

Leec

Woopah!
Contributor
Reaction score
CIMG4095.jpg

CIMG4099.jpg

CIMG4093.jpg

This is my first guitar I have ever build. It took all in all almost 3 years to complete (almost one years it stayed at the painters, though!!!) Lots of hours sanding, shaping, correcting mistakes, etc. It's simply not possible to this on commission basis.

I'm building the Axxion for my brother, right now. Just because he has been nagging for a while, about his own guitar. Some of my other (guitar playing friends) also have asked me to build them their own custom.

And although I'm getting better (read: quicker) at this building guitars thing.....it's still easily 400 hours.

400 hours of escaping stress, work, wife, kids......etc.

Maybe that's why I love building so much.......it's the process of creation that is worth more then the actual guitar.

Although it's pretty neat to see a vision turn into reality. Building something truely unique. Cause when finishing the whole bunch, it will be some guitar players heaven.:hbang:

:shred:

Fantastic paintjob, man. Must have been great to get it back and see such a great result.

If you love building them so much, wouldn't it be ace to do that for a living, or at least more often and cut back on 'normal' work time (although admittedly I've no idea how difficult it is to actually turn a profit as a luthier)?

But I don't want to labour the point, it's just great you're able to do something that you like so well. And judging from your pics, it looks like you must be pretty darn close to achieving the results you have in mind. And if I could play as well as I'd like to be able to play, I'd be very pleased.

Congrats, man :)

RGGR

Reaction score
If you love building them so much, wouldn't it be ace to do that for a living, or at least more often and cut back on 'normal' work time (although admittedly I've no idea how difficult it is to actually turn a profit as a luthier)?
As a lurthier I simply don't see the economics work. The hours, the materials, the time......and true custom at least should rake up $1500-2000. And that for lousy $200-300 profit. It's a process hardly scalable. You need CNC's, cheaper materials, etc.....that kinda stuff.

No matter how much I love building.....I don't see myself quiting my day job. Especially when making a serious nice income.

I rather spend it on quality tonewood and most best hardware money can buy.

But I don't want to labour the point, it's just great you're able to do something that you like so well. And judging from your pics, it looks like you must be pretty darn close to achieving the results you have in mind.
For a first guitar I think I did a very decent job. And that with $9.95 workbench and $39.99 cheap chinese router. ;-)

And if I could play as well as I'd like to be able to play, I'd be very pleased.
My collection of guitars and customs in the works makes you think I can play a decent tune......but gosh....do I make the neighbors cry. :scream:

FortePenance

Reaction score
only reason they're crying is because they don't have a JS7.

hell, i sure know, that's why i'm crying. ._.

DetunedLoon

Reaction score
Some guys build cars, some guys build choppers, some guys build boats, some guys build patio decks,
heck,...I know a guy in Carmel, California who buys nearly flawless vintage surfboards and turns them into magnificent works of art, but guitar building IS artwork in my mind.....

Kudos, and congrats to you for your unbelievable patience and living your enjoyment.

Guitars can be the most beautiful pieces of art.

RGGR

Reaction score
Kudos, and congrats to you for your unbelievable patience and living your enjoyment.

Guitars can be the most beautiful pieces of art.

Buying a guitar is so much easier.....but building one is so much more fun.

RGGR

Reaction score
For all you impatient buggers, I will give you a status report.

JS-7: Back from painters. Need to polish the body to showroom specs. Need to buy a polisher and get up to speed with polishing. So current reading up on the subject. The Flex XC 3401 VRG will be my new polisher.

Axxion: Body and neck are ready for paint. Could send off to my painter, but wanting to paint this one myself. More reading up on the subject. SATA - MINIJET4 HVLP, will be the tools for the job. In process of setting up paintbooth.

RGT-7 QL RBB XL: Working on fretboard install.....after this I need to router pup and tremolo cavities. Then I can get cracking on staining job.

540PVII: Body 90% done, neck needs bit more work. Is project lower on the priority list. Project will use templates from RGT-7, so rest of routing on body will be minor job.

RG-8 Fanned frets: Body blank sanded to thickness. Today I bought a Wenge slab to be my new Wenge/Zabrano/Wenge/Zabrano/Wenge laminate 8 string neck. Neck will mirror the body. (Meaning: Wenge neck with Zabrano stripes.) When neck blank done I need to order custom fanned bridge parts.
Started this whole project to play around with building a fanned fret guitar, and laying out the custom 8 string bridge.

CIMG3281-1.jpg

RG-7's: Then I have two RG-7's in the works, and while the bodies have been cut, they are just gathering dust for now. Neck blank is bought....just need arrange date with professional woodshop to get everyting squared and cut.

RGA-7 J. Custom: Then I have bought an awesome maple top that will be turned in pinkish stain like below. More on this one later. Will be RGA type body, partly hollowed, with purper heart accents. Neck will be maple/purpleheart laminate.

CIMG3737.jpg

WRB: Want to add one of these to my collection, but they are rarely for sale. So will grab myself a S540LTD (or so) off the net, and swap neck and hardware with newly custom build body. Currently working on body template. Should be an easy project with paintbooth in place.

WRB10.jpg

Future projects:

Ibanez 580T copy.
Ibanez Maxxas copy (Probably 7 string version).
Ritter Jupiter copy. (Always wanted to build a badass bass.....)

0530-jupiter.jpg

FortePenance

Reaction score
Haha so many projects. :D

Man, we want pics. They must be sextastic lookin' by now.

RGGR

Reaction score
Man, we want pics. They must be sextastic lookin' by now.

Pics will follow when I have something to show for.

For now f:scream:ing stop bugging me.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
You have a lot of projects dude. We want to see more pics of those RGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')