Rhodes/KSR Orthos 100 w/ Blackmachine & Ormsby & Pro Tone KM OD video

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window

I stumbled across this on Facebook. It's our currently absent forum member Leanoardo7 aka Alain. It's worth sharing because of the lack of Orthos clips out there, other than a couple awesome ones on here. I can't get enough of hearing this thing. Damn. And with a B7? Not even fair.

Rig Specs from the description:

Blackmachine Guitars B7
Seymour Duncan Distortion 7 pickup
Pro Tone Pedals Keith Merrow Overdrive
Rhodes Orthos 100 amp
Mesa 2x12 Cabinet with Vintage 30's

This is the first BM I've heard with a Duncan installed. No idea what mic or if anything was done to the recording, again, since it's not mine. Just thought everyone here would like a listen. I'd like to hear this again without the KM OD (which I own and is a sweet ass pedal) just to hear the raw amp by itself. He might be just clean boosting it. But for whatever settings he's running, this sounds facking noice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
Yeah, it might look like I'm posting this for the community, but that is really a byproduct of me generating GAS for myself...

I'll have to wait a month or two because Daemoness Guitars drained my bank account. You are very much correct though!

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
Shit that Hypemachine sounds phenomenal. Angry as hell, like Rick from "The Walking Dead" on a killing spree. The Orthos is stupid tight yet smooth, with just amazing distortion bringing out the snarl in that guitar. I think it has an A8 bridge humbucker.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Both videos are already posted over here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ge...ksr-orthos-100-w-b7-pro-tone-km-od-video.html

You hear about Blackmachine Guitars from time to time, but how often do you get a solid, quality recording of one in a basic simple metal setting, through a really good amp?

I made this short demo vid :metal:

Specs:
25.5"
Mahogany body
3 piece Ebony top
5 piece Rosewood with ebony fillets neck
Ebony Fretboard
Ivoroid binding
Massive jumbo frets
Offset abalone dots at 7th, 12th, and 17th frets
ABM saddles bridge
Sperzel locking tuners
Seymour Duncan Distortion bridge pickup

AboutBlank

Reaction score
Best sound I've heard on this forum here...

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
Brootz plebs

Seriously awesome, and you are correct, you don't see too many videos of them. Solid work, love the amp too.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
Sorry if I stole your thunder sharing this earlier in the week. It was too good to not listen to a zillion times! The Hypemachine demo is just sick as hell too. So damn angry, and the guitar and amp are just perfect for each other.

I gotta say, this is the first time I've seen/heard a Blackmachine with a SD Humbucker. It does pretty well! What made you try it in this guitar and what are your thoughts on it?

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry if I stole your thunder sharing this earlier in the week. It was too good to not listen to a zillion times! The Hypemachine demo is just sick as hell too. So damn angry, and the guitar and amp are just perfect for each other.

I gotta say, this is the first time I've seen/heard a Blackmachine with a SD Humbucker. It does pretty well! What made you try it in this guitar and what are your thoughts on it?

Im stoked that you like em! :hbang:

I do believe I am the first Blackmachine owner to put in a Duncan pickup. It originally had a BKP Coldsweat which worked in taming the crazy low mids of this guitar. I then tried an aftermath for year but never really thought it matched the guitar well. To really gain a full understanding of this guitars tone, I was curious how it would sound with the Duncan and Ive got to say that in all honesty, while the BKP Aftermath is one of my fav all time bridge pickups, the Distortion sounds better in this particular guitar. I think the Distortion is VERY well suited to thick sounding dark mahogany guitars.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Hey thanks for posting OP :metal:

Dear mod who closed my thread down. Its totally your call but I did not see this thread when I posted up mine. Mine got closed and not even merged. Is it possible to just open it back up and merge this one into mine since my thread was getting more action? Wouldnt it be better for the forum to have the thread thats getting more action stay open? Its totally your call. Thanks

Heres my thread that got closed:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/se...o-vid-w-my-rhodes-orthos-amp.html#post4184617

And this thread is titled B7 video, not Ormsby video. Does this mean that I cant start a thread for my Ormsby vid just because it was posted within this thread?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I merged the threads for you and added the Ormsby to the title of this one since both vids are in this thread already. I also added the Ormsby vid to the first post for you.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Awesome tone and playing dude! After listening to so many Axe-fx, kemper, amp sims clips you forget just how much fuller and tighter a mic'd amp sounds.

The Ormsby has a lot of thick low mids with a nice chunk to palm mutes while the B7 has more presence and cut most likely because of the SD distortion.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Awesome tone and playing dude! After listening to so many Axe-fx, kemper, amp sims clips you forget just how much fuller and tighter a mic'd amp sounds.

The Ormsby has a lot of thick low mids with a nice chunk to palm mutes while the B7 has more presence and cut most likely because of the SD distortion.

Yeah exactly! The real mics and real tubes do still make a difference.

The Tasmanian Blackwood body of the Ormsby is super thick sounding in the low mids for sure. Its a cousin of Koa and sounds very similar. Im not sure why its not used more often. It pairs well with an extended scale. I know I dont have a clip of it right now but the Ormsby neck pickup is a thing of real beauty. Its just a really phenomenal neck pickup.

I plan to toss in a different pickup for another BM vid. Which pickup should I try? Ive tried a Coldsweat and an Aftermath and dont want to do a vid with either of those. Im thinking either Nazgul, M7, or Ceramic Nailbomb, maybe even Holydiver. I think it would be cool to do the same riff with different pickups, then do an A/B vid with 3-5 different pickups.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
:agreed:

Yeah exactly! The real mics and real tubes do still make a difference.

The Tasmanian Blackwood body of the Ormsby is super thick sounding in the low mids for sure. Its a cousin of Koa and sounds very similar. Im not sure why its not used more often. It pairs well with an extended scale. I know I dont have a clip of it right now but the Ormsby neck pickup is a thing of real beauty. Its just a really phenomenal neck pickup.

I plan to toss in a different pickup for another BM vid. Which pickup should I try? Ive tried a Coldsweat and an Aftermath and dont want to do a vid with either of those. Im thinking either Nazgul, M7, or Ceramic Nailbomb, maybe even Holydiver. I think it would be cool to do the same riff with different pickups, then do an A/B vid with 3-5 different pickups.

I would absolutely love to hear that, as well as the Ormsby neck pickup. I think the Nazgul, M7, C-Bomb, and HD would all do well in there, and A/B'ing them with the same riff would be awesome. I'm always game to hear the Black Winter 7 in other guitars. Not many demos of that one yet.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
Sick videos, Al! Tassie blackwood is such a killer body wood and my Hype is similar for that killer low end and bitey palm mutes. Next one has a 3 piece Tassie and ebony neck.

Lookin' forward to seeing and hearing more.

Bearitone

Reaction score
:agreed:

I would absolutely love to hear that, as well as the Ormsby neck pickup. I think the Nazgul, M7, C-Bomb, and HD would all do well in there, and A/B'ing them with the same riff would be awesome. I'm always game to hear the Black Winter 7 in other guitars. Not many demos of that one yet.

+1

and a C-Pig as well!

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
Looked up your old NGD, Al. It will be a constant reminder of the sacrifice I made... so glad it's in good hands.

DSC04050_zps2c52563a.jpg

')