Ridiculously good 10 year old guitarist covers Gilbert

squid-boy

Reaction score
Like all of us, or at least most of us, they'll probably stagnate somewhere with their abilities to play or progress, or at least slow down the progression of their playing greatly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MJS

Reaction score
Like all of us, or at least most of us, they'll probably stagnate somewhere with their abilities to play or progress, or at least slow down the progression of their playing greatly.

It's not really a problem when you're already that good when it happens. :D

Plus if he's learning all the Gilbert, etc... stuff by ear, he's probably already at a point where he can play anything he'll ever want to. So, I'd imagine that any changes in his playing (if any) will more likely be linked to his musical taste changing with age, rather than skill increasing or decreasing.

If that happens, it's probably good that he reached that level while being into the hard stuff because wherever he goes from here, if his tastes change, will probably be a lot easier to play than what he's already doing. The bad thing about that is that if he chooses to play slower/easier stuff instead, a lot of people will call that getting worse.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
you mean it Isn't getting worse? nah jokes aside,

I knew this was an older video, but one of the better ones I've seen of him playing (not that there weren't any that were amazing).

wayward

Banned
Reaction score
Some of his quickness in learning could be due to the fact that his parents seem to be loaded. I would have learned some of my techniques a little faster if I was playing on an Ibanez Prestige or a Custom of some sort through some tube stacks and god knows what effects or racks in a professional-grade studio at the age of 13 instead of practicing on a 150 dollar fender telecaster and a marshall mg15 like I did at the age of 13.

Reaction score
Fantastic player no doubt. I try and not be bitter about young talent, but some of his "stage moves" on the later videos are a little vulgar. I suppose that is a bit harsh, considering his age; if I was in his position at that age I'd probably have been a little narcissistic in my performance. So scratch that, good luck to him. Guitar music is difficult to make a living out of regardless of how talented you are.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
some of his "stage moves" on the later videos are a little vulgar.

I hear that. The 4 minute guitar solo in the NAMM video where is copying Yngwie's licks and moves is pretty cringe-worthy, especially by the end when he is flapping his arm about to get some reaction from the crowd, who by that point sound pretty bored, much like the musicians standing in the background waiting to play!

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Prodigies such as Anton often stagnate in terms of musicality, that much is true. Those that don't, however, mature to be absolutely amazing. You have fine examples of this in guys like Shawn Lane - he was already a beast at 15 / 16, and we all know what legacy the man left us.

Time will tell what Anton has in store for us, but I'm confident his ability is being well nourished and guided, judging from his steady evolution. :yesway:

MJS

Reaction score
Some of his quickness in learning could be due to the fact that his parents seem to be loaded. I would have learned some of my techniques a little faster if I was playing on an Ibanez Prestige or a Custom of some sort through some tube stacks and god knows what effects or racks in a professional-grade studio at the age of 13 instead of practicing on a 150 dollar fender telecaster and a marshall mg15 like I did at the age of 13.

:lol:

None of that has anything to do with learning or improving your technique.

That's like saying you can't be a good driver if you learn in a Toyota while your friend is learning in a Mercedes his parents bought him. :D

Goro923

Spanish Thrasher
Reaction score
Videos like this make me want to sell my guitars and move to the North Pole, to never be humiliated again.
I'm sure he has A LOT of natural talent, but it seems to me that a lot of these "young prodigies" are just trained monkeys. This kid seems to know what he's playing though, but I'm still not 100% impressed.

And yeah, when that blues kid was all over the news I wanted to break the TV. I love a good blues player, he just wasn't one. He was (just barely) average and happened to be 8. :wallbash::wallbash:

Bonus round: (Typical high rated youtube comment) "OK, now play it with soul." :lol::lol:

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
:lol:

None of that has anything to do with learning or improving your technique.

That's like saying you can't be a good driver if you learn in a Toyota while your friend is learning in a Mercedes his parents bought him. :D

I agree, there are plenty of rich kids out there who are barely in their teens that have demo videos for expensive gear on youtube like Mesa/Engl rigs, Les Pauls whatever, you name it, and they SUCK donkey balls...with poor tone too!

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score

Just because you have better gear (and how do you really know what gear that kid started out on) that will not make you a better player.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Just because you have better gear (and how do you really know what gear that kid started out on) that will not make you a better player.

This.

Regardless of how he started, what he may or may not have been provided with, he rips shit up.

A good example, my good friend is from a very poor family, he learnt on crappy cheap guitars, at the age of 14 he was playing at a similar level to this kid. Now he is 18 and bought himself a JP7, but he worked super hard to get that (especially here in australia where they cost over 3k)

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
it just clicks for him. he has the resources to learn it and he's able to do it. if you watch the movie rock prophecy you'll see some good advice for prodigy kids.

it's not so terribly uncommon. i knew a couple of kids that played this well, but they were more like in their early teens.

pretty neat. :D

and it's nice to see the interest in this style. i can remember in the 90s when shred couldn't get arrested.

Kamin

Reaction score

This is true. BUT, what can help is a really good teacher who the loaded parents are willing to pay. The kid is obviously talented to a very high degree, but proper training certainly helps. Most people who never have formal lessons end up forming bad habits and then must discover them on their own and fix them on their own. Normally the discovery and fixing never occurs.

emperor_black

Reaction score
Ridiculously clean. :yesway:

Not to discredit this young man in anyway but I always think it is funny that we are surprised when a young kid is great at guitar but there are literally dozens of even younger prodigies sitting behind pianos, violins, etc......
This beats the hell out of that annoying ass blues playing 8 year old that is all over youtube.

Yup. My kid who's 5 is learning the piano for the past few months and had her first recital in front of an audience. The teacher was always telling us about another kid who is couple of years or more older than my kid and who can play terrific piano and I witnessed that first hand during the recital. He was playing such a complicated piece! He was putting the bigger kids to shame.

Kids' minds are like sponges. They absorb so much so quickly. It all depends on what and how much you can throw at them.

')