Ridiculously underrated masterpieces in the Metal genre

• Thread starter FrancescoFiligoi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
Rune - The End Of Nothing as mentioned before is a masterpiece.

Also: Spektr - Near Death Experience. Taking black metal so far beyond anyone else.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Yeah Scott Stine and Derek Taylor.

They are just some sick shredders from Texas that no one knows about.
Pretty much legends in their own right.

(Scott)

(Derek)

(Scott & Derek)

shellbound

Reaction score
Aborym - Generator. Such awesome atmospheric/industrial black metal.

Also, I feel like Mirrorthrone doesn't get enough love. Amazing one-man symphonic black metal. I would consider Carriers of Dust to be a masterpiece:

So fucking epic!!!

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
I forgot about Kvist...awesome bm album

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Vehemence+-+God+Was+Created.jpg

31914.jpg

død

Reaction score
Covenant.

Vulture Industries

Leprous

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
Samothrace are absolutely incredible. Their debut album, Life's Trade, is one of the heaviest doom albums I've heard.

They just came out with a new album this year, which I didn't even know about until I went looking for vids for this post.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yes, I know it has a big name attached to it, but you seldom hear it mentioned, and it's one of the top ten metal albums of the '90s.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
Alienation Mental - Ball Spouter
Capharnaum - Fractured
Car Bomb - w^w^^w^w
Concealment - Phenakism
Despised Icon - Consumed By Your Poison
Disavowed - Stagnated Existence
Discordance Axis - The Inalienable Dreamless
Gigan - Quasi-Hallucinogenic Sonic Landscapes
Ion Dissonance - Breathing Is Irrelevant
Irepress - Sol Eye Sea I
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Mare - Mare
Martyr - Feeding the Abscess
maudlin of the well - Leaving Your Body Map
Pyrrhon - An Excellent Servant, But A Terrible Master
Severed Savior - Servile Insurrection
Starring Janet Leigh - Spectrum
Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire
Wormed - Planisphaerium

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Probably my favorite band going right now, both of their albums are brilliant. I've tried pimping them on here before, with mixed results. The just have such a unique style; it's unpretentious prog!

East Of The Wall: If You Build The Riff, They Will Come : All Songs Considered : NPR

East of the Wall - "False Build" from the album "The Apologist."

East of the Wall - "Whiskey Sipper + The Underachiever" from the album "The Apologist."

East of the Wall - "Ocean of Water" (as opposed to.....?) from the album "Ressentiment."

EDIT: Had a hard time picking, so I'll post both;

"Wisp of Tow" also from "Ressentiment"

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
Some amazing underrated/unknown albums have been listed on this thread, thanks guys! :)

wankerness

Reaction score
I was going through my old cds today and came across a few great CDs that might qualify as fairly unknown on here:

Zero hour - towers of avarice. These guys were the most manly prog metal band out there, their riffs were almost Meshuggah-ish, ten tons of chug and metallic 5 string bass. Very complex rhythmically, not much going on harmonically. Their singer is remarkably masculine for someone that sings that high also. They made Evergrey sound like the Flower Kings.

Beyond Dawn - Pity Love. This was a doom metal band that was much more melodic than many of their contemporaries. The trait I always saw used to identify them was that they had a trombone player, but there's so much more to them than that. This is one of the most beautiful doom metal cds I ever heard. They supposedly turned into some kind of electronica act later on, so I can't vouch for any of their other material, but this album is great.

Novembre - Novembrine Waltz. These guys were my favorite band for a while. They were often held up as the closest thing to Opeth back in about 2001, but they were really not very similar at all. They have an entirely different style of songwriting, they're much less riff-driven and the way the vocals are treated is really different. All of their albums are great but Novembrine Waltz remains my favorite. Materia is more "poppy" with far less showoffy drums and more verse-chorus song structures, but it's almost as good. Here's two of the best off of that one:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^"The Towers of Avarice" may be the most tense metal album ever recorded. It's also a personal fav. If you haven't heard it, hunt it up. It's worth it.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Discordance Axis "Jouhou"
Mors Principium Est
First two Omnium Gatherum albums
Destinity is an easy one to forget, but there's no reason. They've got some solid and amazing albums.
I generally feel like Decrepit Birth never get quite the props they deserve.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Fuck the Facts. Hands down, but kind of their fault for choosing a shit name.

This video should have like a million views on youtube for being equal parts really sick song and amazingly wretched, yet hilarious lyrics. The God Dethroned curse.

dax21

Reaction score
+1 for MPE. The Unborn is a god tier melodeath album, perfect balance of melodic songwriting and fast, aggressive riffing.
On the other hand, I don't really agree about OG. I like them a lot, but they have huge inconsistency issues on every single record. I would suggest Noumena instead, very similar kind of mdm yet they are way less known than OG.

Since we are talking Finnish melodeath, Diablo are tremendously underrated. And it's some really groovy stuff.

')