Right arm/biceps get really tired while playing

• Thread starter Slavocracy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slavocracy

Reaction score
I've been playing about 2 and a half years and I've noticed whenever I'm playing anything fast or with a lot of palm mutes, especially continuous breakdowns, my right arm/biceps get really tired.

I have my guitar strapped on where the top is at about my belly button, and I feel as if I went a bit lower that my arm would stop hurting a lot, but I have a lot of trouble playing down low because my left hand just can't reach notes or play nearly as fast.

I can't rest my arm on my guitar or anything like that either because it's uncomfortable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
You are too tense. Practice on relaxing your arm while playing, because it could also lead to playing related injuries. In my opinion, something more important then playing fast is playing relaxed. :2c:

Dvaienat

Reaction score
I've also been playing for 2 1/2 years, and I have encountered similar problems, but only on tremolo picking. I've solved this by relaxing my arm. I still pick back and forth using my arm, but it is relaxed and not tense.

In short - I reccomend relaxing your arm. It should help.

Kemono

Reaction score
I've been playing about 2 and a half years and I've noticed whenever I'm playing anything fast or with a lot of palm mutes, especially continuous breakdowns, my right arm/biceps get really tired.

I have my guitar strapped on where the top is at about my belly button, and I feel as if I went a bit lower that my arm would stop hurting a lot, but I have a lot of trouble playing down low because my left hand just can't reach notes or play nearly as fast.

I can't rest my arm on my guitar or anything like that either because it's uncomfortable.
Right handed guitarists playing strat style guitar should rest the guitar on their left leg.

Classical players practice technique with attention to detail, starting from holding the guitar. For example, see Jamie Andreas "chair and the pillow" -- GuitarPrinciples Students Play - The Chair & Cup: Davey

You'll most likely want to eventually play in different positions such as standing or getting fancy, dancing around, playing with teeth, etc. Keep the sitting practice as a basis for being relaxed and carry that over to other positions.

turbo

Reaction score
could also be stress from trying to play faster. like not playing guitar for a year and then picking one up and trying some tapping techniques. hands get pretty tired pretty quick.

and mostly body tension as previously stated.
im much more relaxed on my ibanez rg220 than on my ibanez k7. I can play my 220 for 2 hours with not even a hint of fatigue. but my k7, after an hour, im done.
and thats also partly because of the neck differences as well.

kaanman36

Reaction score
I have heard it said many times . . .

If you want to play fast, you need to learn to play relaxed. You will develop better speed (and more importantly accuracy) when the muscles in your arm are relaxed.

It may seem slower at first, but in the long run, you will be faster and better.:hbang:

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps you're using too much of your actual arm when playing. If you're constantly flexing your biceps/triceps/forearm while playing, they will definitely get tired and you will hurt after a while.

A lot of fluidity and comfort comes from playing more with your wrist, and I would advise that you see if you could incorporate more of that into your playing. A palm mute should be more of a "flick" motion with your wrist rather than an entire arm movement. Also, if you notice that you tense up your entire arm when you are alternate picking really fast, try to relax and play more with your wrist.

You should use your arm more for stability, positioning, and anchoring rather than for picking.

Also, perhaps you should try raising your guitar...if you have it too low, you can really limit the motion of your picking hand, thus possibly straining your entire arm.

Hope this helps yo :metal:

bonethug

Reaction score
play through it. Dont focus on the fact that your arm is fatiguing. If your playing a show use your wrist until your arm muscles are good again. Thats my best advice.

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
As a drummer/Percussionist and someone who has marched and been playing for years now. You need to relax. I tell all my students and aspiring musicians that the most important thing you can do is relax. It actually takes practice and focus but once you get it...you got it. It will prevent injuries and make you look more controlled.

You know how experts make it look easy? Cause they are relaxed.

Also, I sit sometimes like I'm holding a classical guitar with it resting on my left leg at an upward 45 degree angle with my leg slightly elevated. (Right handed).

You can try to strengthen your muscles but if you overdo you could permanently damage your body. Hope this helps.

Slavocracy

Reaction score
Thanks all! I'll try to relax more, any tips on relaxing?

also: my arm just kinda feels like it's too long to play up high, it always just wants to go lower, but I can't due to my other arm not being able to reach for shit.

Blake1970

Reaction score
Thanks all! I'll try to relax more, any tips on relaxing?

also: my arm just kinda feels like it's too long to play up high, it always just wants to go lower, but I can't due to my other arm not being able to reach for shit.

This might help!

turbo

Reaction score
play like you dont care what people think.

relax with some deep breaths. clear you mind. play what naturally falls into place.
warm up exercises for like 30 minutes before you actually try playing anything at all.
a nice warm up is very helpful. have a tv or radio on in the back.

and dont grab it like you want it, you should actually hold the guitar. find a position thats comfortable, and and let your hands work around the guitar.

so say youre sitting down, find a position thats comfortable for you and your guitar...then place your left arm on the neck and the right arm into picking position......does this feel ok? and then move your arms away.....does the guitar stay put or move? if it moves, find a different position. if it stays, put your hands into position and play something. if it goes smoothly and youre not repositioning the guitar around every 5 seconds, then thats the position you want. and if you notice while playing in this position, your hands and arms wont be tense because your playing around the guitar, not with it.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Shift positions while playing. I have to move around and shift my weight as well as changing axe position at points in the song. It's not something I think about really, just kinda happens when I'm zoning out in the music. When I'm in a tremelo pic'n melody section I often put the guitar body on my right hip and my left arm holds the neck out in front more(like holding a machine gun). Obviously for intricate left hand work I have to come back to a more traditional form. For sitting down, I prefer to use a regular armless kitchen style chair and lean back while crossing my shoes with straight legs, or sit up straight and let the guitar hang naturally straight down.

rvoteary

Cocaine Enthusiast
Reaction score
REEEEE-LAAAAXXXX

Pretty much what everybody's saying, if you're tense then you arm is gonna get tired

Slavocracy

Reaction score
This might help!
hahah true

I took kemono's advice of playing on my left leg instead of my right and found that it's much more comfortable. I'm still trying to find the sweet spot, but nevertheless it's getting much better and I am trying to relax more :p

Thanks again for all the advice everyone

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
play through it. Dont focus on the fact that your arm is fatiguing.

:nono:
Sorry but this its just plain terrible advice and following it is a sure fire way to get carpal tunnel and end your ability to ever play again.
Listen to what your body is trying to tell you and stop if you start feeling pain/fatigue in your arms. As someone that trem picks constantly and at warp tempos, trust me on this. Relax your whole body. Find a position that is most comfortable for you. Grab a metronome and set it at a slow tempo and practice your trem picking. Pay attention to how you are playing when you practice trem picking. Are you tense right before you start? Then take a deep breath. Chill. Is your picking ergonomical or is it weird and ineffecient? Change your pick grip and how you make each stroke. Im almost 100% sure that that last bit is what is causing you to tire and hurt easily.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
1) Take a guitar lesson to see if you hold your guitar properly, and to have someone help you find a comfortable position.

2) Beginners playing teh brootalz often have equipment...that is ill suited for it. They have a tendancy to strum harder to get a bigger sound. Try playing with lighter gauge so you will *have* to strum less hard.

-Your arm practically shouldn't move except to position you hand at the proper height, most of the strumming actually comes fro the wrist. (Imagine your arm as an old fashioned record stereo arm)

')