Right tools to file a guitar nut (Mega thick strings)

• Thread starter Intellex222
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Intellex222

Reaction score
Hi guys, i recently bought a 6 string that came with 10-46 strings. Now i wanna play some architects and tune to C# standard with the lowest string dropped to g#. 11-56 + a 70 instead of the 56. All i find is custom sized nut files or super expansive ones and if anyone could suggest good ones or a good tutorial video that help much be much appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Go slow and use the string to file it. I've done it a thousand times and never had an issue. Lay the string in the slot and pull back slowly with your finger putting pressure on the string over the slot and pull back, rinse and repeat until it sits in the slot nicely.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
In a pinch you could rig something up by affixing a portion of the string to something thin like a dowel, popsicle stick, pencil, etc to create a very questionable file. Not recommended but will get the job done.

')