Rings of saturn's lucas mann's guitar ability described by recentlydeparted guitarist

redstone

Reaction score
From 1:27 to 1:33. The obnoxious sweeping section (which in and of itself looks suspicious)

Sweep ? It's legato and tapping on penta positions.

So how are you able to compare Lucas technique to RoS ? Nothing in RoS is special but the composition and note/note recording. The licks are basic shred. Maybe Lucas should explain it publicly but I doubt you would listen to him since you're too busy acting like guitar experts on the internet.

Why playing it legit when the licks are actually nothing special, nothing worth bragging about ? You're the ones who started the whole "RoS is impossible to play" drama. :nuts:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
No one said it's impossible to play....just that Lucas himself can't play it and therefore shouldn't have a made a video where he was clearly faking it and then asked everyone for $20,000 for a bedroom album of faked bullshit.

He's also a tremendous douche whenever he gets called out and just says "wahh the internet is wrong and I'm right, give me more money to fix the band I broke up by being a douche and fund my shit."

Anyway I'm out of this thread now because theres no point in me staying.

redstone

Reaction score
No one said it's impossible to play....just that Lucas himself can't play it and therefore shouldn't have a made a video where he was clearly faking it and then asked everyone for $20,000 for a bedroom album of faked bullshit.

Lucas can play that video. It is clearly synced and within his ability. Moreover, the only suspicious part, first half of the 1:27 lick is easy to play in pure tapping, there's no reason to make it harder but being able to play it that way. And there's no reason to think otherwise if you're able to tab and play it.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Lucas can play that video. It is clearly synced and within his ability. Moreover, the only suspicious part, first half of the 1:27 lick is easy to play in pure tapping, there's no reason to make it harder but being able to play it that way. And there's no reason to think otherwise if you're able to tab and play it.

My problem was not with his guitar skills or the fact that he overdubbed his video with a pre-recorded track, but that his guitar tone was so homogenized that it didn't matter if he got the dynamics or inflections right, which casts suspicion on the whole thing.

For instance, I'm working on a Marco Sfogli song and if you took a video of me playing it synced to Marco's rendition, I would look like a stud because you wouldn't hear all the timing imperfections and differences in dynamics, that separate a great performance from one that is barely there.

However, even if Marco syncs his video to a prerecorded song, its not suspect because the guitar sounds real, there is no doubt he performed it.

The guitar performances are in question here because they don't sound real to begin with, either they are a VSTi playing midi or so highly processed/edited/autotuned that they were never a real performance. Even if he can move his fingers to make it look like he is playing the track, that doesn't mean it wouldn't sound amateurish (if we could hear what he was playing) or that he could even perform it in a single take.

But the door is open for him to proove himself. If he sees this thread, and I'm sure he has, he can simply record a live version of the song in a single take to silence the haters. Bonus points if he can do it with a real amp. He could just set up an amp in room and record the in room sound playing against his backing track in the computer.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
The track doesn't reflect it because the track is clearly not actually him playing. :lol:

That's a shame he made such an ass out of himself, that song is kinda nice, the start of it sounds just like the music they used to play during the EuroNews weather a while ago (not saying he stole it though). But that video is just ridiculous, what a mong.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Joel is just confirming what the majority of musicians already knew. Whatever skill he may actually have has been overshadowed by his complete douchenozzlery and ego. I remember back when the mayhem festival (I think it was mayhem, but could've been another one) was having people vote for bands to be on the bill and RoS was one of them. They got slightly edged out at the last second, and instead of being gracious about having lost, Mann took to facebook to whine and bitch and complain until the promoters put THEM on the bill instead of the other band that won. (I believe it was Thy Art Is Murder)
That was Summer Slaughter 2013. Yeah, Lucas whined and bitched until RoS was added to the bill. TAIM was still on the tour though, and actually played after RoS (which I got a kick out of).

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score

lol wut?

Are you unaware that the velocity of his picking doesn't change? You can clearly see he's 'playing' certain notes harder by the movement of his picking hand yet it doesn't sound like it.

:spock:

redstone

Reaction score
My problem was not with his guitar skills or the fact that he overdubbed his video with a pre-recorded track, but that his guitar tone was so homogenized that it didn't matter if he got the dynamics or inflections right, which casts suspicion on the whole thing.

@maliciousteve

He could have really synced it perfectly and used true guitar sounds if he really wanted to play dirty. It's not the purpose of that video .. Why do you want to know if he can play like a machine ? You can hear on other vids that he can't, it's not a secret. So what would it change ?

KFW

Reaction score
@maliciousteve

He could have really synced it perfectly and used true guitar sounds if he really wanted to play dirty. It's not the purpose of that video .. Why do you want to know if he can play like a machine ? You can hear on other vids that he can't, it's not a secret. So what would it change ?

That's kinda what I think--I don't really see the evidence of this guy trying to make it sound like he can play exactly like that. I have no reason to believe he doesn't just write that music, and then likes that type of aesthetic for his recordings.

It's so blatantly obvious, that I don't see why there needs to be some disclaimer. Has this guy flat out said that his recordings aren't done note for note, and aren't altered? Has anyone SEEN this guy say it (link to an article maybe?). I'm not some huge RoS fan that's looking to argue...I legitimately don't see much of a problem with any of this. And I can't fault him for asking for 20k either, maybe he wanted to record it in a high end studio, which factoring in travel costs and a top producer, that can be pretty pricey. Not far off from $20,000 for a whole album. Maybe he just wants to try and make money only from music, and saw that as a good route. You know everyone that donated would have done it voluntarily...

Darknut

Reaction score
Has this guy flat out said that his recordings aren't done note for note, and aren't altered? Has anyone SEEN this guy say it (link to an article maybe?)
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/3759705-post114.html
Like seriously, read that whole thread.

@maliciousteve

That "wanted to play dirty" part is a bit backwards. Maybe if he wanted it to sound clean he should learn to play it as clean as he edits his recordings to be. Maybe if he doesn't want people giving him shit, he shouldn't lie about his recording methods to the people he is asking money from.

KFW

Reaction score
Huh, weird.

And the thing is, if he completely owned up to it I don't think anyone would really care. He could just say "Yeah, I like to record note by note because I think it sounds cool."

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
@maliciousteve

Why mime over the video? Why not just post a soundcloud link or just a youtube video with just audio? :scratch:

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Huh, weird.

And the thing is, if he completely owned up to it I don't think anyone would really care. He could just say "Yeah, I like to record note by note because I think it sounds cool."

People wouldn't, the guy behind Sol 2183 was pretty open about the fact that he can't actually play the stuff he's writing from beginning to end at the tempo the final versions are at. To paraphrase him, some of it was recorded with the tempo reduced by 20% (or more or less, he said an average of 20%), and some of it was even tracked note by note and stitched together to get things to sound how he wanted them to and no-one cares.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Huh, weird.

I would care, actually. The world is full of enough shit musicians to have the airwaves clouded by more guys who are pretending they can really play. This is a youtube + entitlement phenomenon. If I could record my songs at 10% speed and use Melodyne to quantize and move the notes around, I would be a rock star. Seriously.

This is where the rubber meets the road, either show you can play your stuff or gtfo.

This is worse than lip syncing because at least pop artists who lip sync live were able to capture the performance in the studio and they are usually lip syncing because they have to dance and perform. You have to put your foot down somewhere and this guy has been exposed. I think we should all forget about him and find something better to listen to. I think the reason he was able to find some notoriety is that teen listeners probably couldn't tell it was fake because they don't know enough about guitar music.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
I agree that if he was upfront about what he was doing, then very few people would've cared. It's the fact that he is so blatantly lying while trying to weasel money out of people for a substandard product/service that was being passed off as professional.

When I try to show new songs to people and I haven't had much time for pre-production or anything like that, I'll write it out in gpro, export the midi of it, then convert it to .mp3 with some edits. The difference is that I'm upfront with the fact that it's midi-based, and I don't take people for complete suckers by claiming to be anything other than midi-based.

Darknut

Reaction score
He deserves the hate.. if he wasn't joking that is. Anyone could have say that for the lulz and tell the truth afterwards. Or maybe he thought the question was a joke, since it's obviously not him playing.

@hehasthejazz :shrug: for the lulz ?
At that point, why hold anyone responsible for any action or statement of theirs if they can just claim they are joking? The guy is going to be held accountable for his actions whether or not he finds them to be humorous.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
This is a youtube + entitlement phenomenon. If I could record my songs at 10% speed and use Melodyne to quantize and move the notes around, I would be a rock star. Seriously.

You wouldn't, silly. That's very naive of you.

redstone

Reaction score
At that point, why hold anyone responsible for any action or statement of theirs if they can just claim they are joking? The guy is going to be held accountable for his actions whether or not he finds them to be humorous.

Alright, then give equal punishment to Shawn and Paul

http://youtu.be/FQkAP-FyT48
Paul Gilbert - Get Out Of My Yard - YouTube

-- edit --

Interview of Paul Gilbert for "Get Out Of My Yard" release

"did you play all the instruments by yourself" -> "most of the guitar was recorded in my studio, I played everything" LIAR LIAAAARRRRR :mad: :lol:

Latest posts

')