Rings of saturn's lucas mann's guitar ability described by recentlydeparted guitarist

starslight

Gimme that wheat!
Reaction score
I decided to check out some live ROS vids to see if they really could pull these parts off live....after sorting through a bunch where I couldn't hear shit but kick drums and mush, I found this one-

http://youtu.be/EubEb73l-B0

Maybe these Bose speakers I'm listening on really suck, but to me, 95% of those sweeps he went for, I didn't hear shit. He hits all the main notes and the chord stuff, but it looks/sounds like he's just miming a sweep and landing on the last note of it.

Joel's very good in that clip. I hope he puts this behind him and makes some good music.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Darknut

Reaction score
:agreed: Exactly. A GREAT musician doesn`t really need to be cocky. He lets the music and the performance do the talking. A guy like Shawn Lane for example was very humble. If someone is being cocky, but cannot back it up, what``s left ? Insecurity and immaturity a.k.a. Lucas (no)Mann.
I don't mind it when a good musician walks a fine line of arrogance, or I guess I could say confidence. Behavior that is reminiscent of guys like vai or yngwie etc. Its a preference of mine but I like seeing guys go up on stage and be sure of themselves, idk. Your post really does apply to this situation though, so I can't say much to the contrary here. Lucas' behavior isn't very comparable to that of vai or ynwgie at all. I really hate to even have to use names like vai or gilbert in the same thread talking about lucas. I think it is kind of crazy that they got brought up under lucas' heat in the first place.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Being confident and sure of yourself is a far cry from being cocky. One does not necessarily follow the other.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
And about the douchebag hunts, I think it is not reasonable to expect someone who write that type of music to be super humble. It's obvious that the composer will be cocky , that's part of the RoS creative process.

Watch interviews with any of the famous shred virtuosos. Jason Becker, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Guthrie Govan, Yngwi….well, not so much Yngwie. But regardless, 99% of them are the most humble, down to earth guys around. Your argument holds no water. There's no place in being cocky, which is modest in this guy's case. To me, he's a full blown asshat.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
george-castanza-eating-popcorn-seinfeld-animated.gif

redstone

Reaction score
Writing music like that gives you a right to be a cocky douche? As part of the "process"?

Weird.

It's not the point. I just say : don't expect him to compose brutal tech death that sounds like video games and says humans are shit die die you weak humans and be Shawn Lane 2.0. That's all.

The 300bpm and scorched videos are legit. And 8th triplets at 300bpm = 16ths at 225bpm. It's not superfast.

Ok I move on, merry christmas guys :metal:

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Watch interviews with any of the famous shred virtuosos. Jason Becker, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Guthrie Govan, Yngwi….well, not so much Yngwie. But regardless, 99% of them are the most humble, down to earth guys around. Your argument holds no water. There's no place in being cocky, which is modest in this guy's case. To me, he's a full blown asshat.
To go along with redstone, I write pretty technical music (tech death), and I'm an arrogant spick about it because all the other local players around me suck. So I've kind of earned bragging rights. (Of course, I'd never brag here online because I know many of the players on here are WAY better than me.)

But first, a little announcement...

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
I had no idea who these guys were (I only knew of that ridiculous Kickstarter video) and decided to check them out.

Not gonna lie, their guitarist may be a douche, but I'm ignoring that because this shit is freaking phenomenal.

loqtrall

Banned
Reaction score
It's not the point. I just say : don't expect him to compose brutal tech death that sounds like video games and says humans are shit die die you weak humans and be Shawn Lane 2.0. That's all.

That is not a good trait to have for a musician.

See: Michael Keene and Al Mu'Min, and how both of their bands are falling apart because of them being controlling douches. Though, Keene is capable of playing what he writes, but his band has 16 former members and now Keene is the sole member of The Faceless (my guess, because he's a douchenozzle). As for Al Mu'Min and The HAARP Machine, that was just doomed from the start because of his inability to play what he writes. Seems RoS is headed in the same direction.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
To go along with redstone, I write pretty technical music (tech death), and I'm an arrogant spick about it because all the other local players around me suck. So I've kind of earned bragging rights. (Of course, I'd never brag here online because I know many of the players on here are WAY better than me.)

DynpkGc.jpg

You just bragged saying everyone in your area sucks. Online.

Helstormau

Reaction score
I decided to check out some live ROS vids to see if they really could pull these parts off live....after sorting through a bunch where I couldn't hear shit but kick drums and mush, I found this one-

http://youtu.be/EubEb73l-B0

Maybe these Bose speakers I'm listening on really suck, but to me, 95% of those sweeps he went for, I didn't hear shit. He hits all the main notes and the chord stuff, but it looks/sounds like he's just miming a sweep and landing on the last note of it.

Bleh, that was painful to watch. Shit sounds so sloppy

Jackzaa

Reaction score
Naw, man. Just old blues players who have been playing for "20+ years" but are stuck in their ignorance of only knowing 3 basic chords (G, C, D...maybe an E-chord if you're lucky) and don't know how to even restring their own guitars.

I'm jealous. I live in the same town as Sam Bell, so even on a local scale my guitar skills get wrecked.

OT, though, Lucas Mann is probably among my most hated people ever. Don't think he's really done enough to warrant that, yet I find every aspect of him totally offensive. Poor ROS band members.

')