RIP John McCain

• Thread starter Bentaycanada
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
^^ And I now I understand the need for the quote tags even when it's a non-member speaking ;-)

But a great farewell. It's been a while since a politician made me feel patriotic again.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
John McCain said:
Do not despair of our present difficulties but believe always in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here. Americans never quit. We never surrender. We never hide from history. We make history.

:metal:

Damn.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
OK, so are there actually legitimate sources about the more controversial "facts" that have been thrown around about McCain/treason/giving up locations that got other Americans captured/killed? I've doubted it the whole time I've heard these accusations, but there are folks who really have dug in their heels on the issue. "He'd be in prison for treason, if Nixon hadn't pardoned him.", etc.

narad

Reaction score
OK, so are there actually legitimate sources about the more controversial "facts" that have been thrown around about McCain/treason/giving up locations that got other Americans captured/killed? I've doubted it the whole time I've heard these accusations, but there are folks who really have dug in their heels on the issue. "He'd be in prison for treason, if Nixon hadn't pardoned him.", etc.

Yea, that's fake.

It basically boiled down to:

~ "They tortured me until I read a statement saying that I'm a war criminal that killed innocent women and children."
-- McCain

~ '"I'm a war criminal that killed innocent women and children." -- McCain' -- Internet Assholes

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, that's fake.

~ "They tortured me until I read a statement saying that I'm a war criminal that killed innocent women and children."
-- McCain

~ '"I'm a war criminal that killed innocent women and children." -- McCain' -- Internet Assholes

Pretty much this. Americans do love a good conspiracy theory, especially when it suits their political agenda.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Yeah, this one stung a bit.
I wasn't even really a big supporter of his, but McCain was definitely one of the ever-declining number of what I call "real politicians." He was a man that really, really cared about his country and dedicated literally his entire life to try and make it better. That level of commitment seems to be a rarity these days and it makes me sad to see another one gone.

At least he had some kind of say in when and how the curtains closed. Hope he went out satisfied with his accomplishments.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yea, that's fake.

-- McCain

Taking partial statements without the remainder that gives them important context, like this, is kind of a classic move of the modern GOP. If you ever get the chjance and haven't read it, Al Franken's "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair And Balanced Look At The Right" has an amazing take-down of one of Anne Coulter's books called "How To Lie With Footnotes" where they take the opening chapter and trace every single endnote ("step one: use end notes, not foot notes, to make it more likely readers won't even bother with them") back to its original source, and sure enough, it's a whole bunch of this. And that book is like 18 years old now.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
At least he had some kind of say in when and how the curtains closed. Hope he went out satisfied with his accomplishments.
From what I know of McCain, while I'm sure he was satisfied, I'm sure there was a lot more left undone he wanted to do (some of it I would have even supported), and I'm sure he died wishing he could have done more to promote bipartisanship.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Meh, I prefer my heroes not captured.

4d

vs

4d

Which one is the real despicable tweet? :coffee:

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
Yea, that's fake.

-- McCain

I'm curious as to how you concluded this with such certainty. I'm not saying it isn't right, I'm saying how do you know for sure? I reckon you weren't actually involved so....CNN?

Pretty much this. Americans do love a good conspiracy theory, especially when it suits their political agenda.
On the flip side, some may say people love a good propaganda story and gargle it down with an obedient smile.

Here's what we do know....this guy gets giddy with the idea of bombing.

Last edited:

narad

Reaction score
I'm curious as to how you concluded this with such certainty. I'm not saying it isn't right, I'm saying how do you know for sure? I reckon you weren't actually involved so....CNN?

Because it's not about the reality of the situation. Whether McCain was a Dr. Manhattan-like presence in Vietnam or was a complete pacifist, the internet idea of McCain admitting he's a war criminal stems from quoting an interview with him out of context.

Of course I think commonsense should dictate that he was not pardoned for war crimes, the thought of the US charging him for war crimes, or the thought of presidential pardons being used to get him out of it. There was very little in the way of convicting US soldiers who actually had committed war crimes in Vietnam, as judged by international policy and oversight.

narad

Reaction score
^^ Basically the whole "Butcher of Bakersfield" subplot of "Running Man" btw.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
Unless he knows you know the Running Man plot and could be a Butcher under the guise of...oh nevermind RIP you could be war mongrel-er/hero!