RIP Sean Malone

• Thread starter DiezelMonster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

brector

Reaction score
I was always curious about the Chapman stick largely because of him and the cool stuff he did with it on the Gordian Knot albums (way beyond what John Myung and the Dave Matthews guy dabbled in). And Aghora's Formless was in my car for a while the last couple years.
Check out Tony Levin and Trey Gunn for some good chapman stick/touch guitar stuff

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the band or the people in it or this situation at all, but that update bummed me out. (I don't remember seeing this thread when it first popped up.) So tragic.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wait, WHAT? Emergent is one of my go-to albums for "production heavily undermining the music." I love the songwriting on it, but UGH, that distorted guitar tone sounds like cardboard and always put me off the music (ex Muttersprache). The first album sounds far better IMO.

Sean Malone was great, definitely have tried and failed to play many Cynic bass songs over the years. I was always curious about the Chapman stick largely because of him and the cool stuff he did with it on the Gordian Knot albums (way beyond what John Myung and the Dave Matthews guy dabbled in). And Aghora's Formless was in my car for a while the last couple years.
I forgot he was dead until this got bumped. :(

And I have similar thoughts as you but for different reasons - there's some really pronounced audible clipping which could have been the master but probably occured during tracking - I suspect these guys were working on this, remote, at their hime studios, but I don't know if that's based on something I read, or was just a hunch.

But, overall, idunno.. It's sort of a dark, sludgy mix, but it's also really thick and warm. I found their first album kind of sterile and thin. I dont think I'd hold it up as an example of a great mix, or a great guitar tone, but there's a lot of depth to it that I think really works with the songwriting and source material. It's not a high budget sounding album at ALL... but it, to me, works. Especially something like the closer, Deep Singing Mountain... I think the fairly dark, low-end-heavy, warm mix feels very appropriate.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
I just read the update and I'm really having a hard time with this. I'm so lost for words.

As for the recording process for Emergent, I remember following it closely and it indeed was all done remotely and the majority if not all of Sean's work was recorded via his rackmount Pod Pro that he always used.

The digital clipping that is audible was always something that I hear as character because the music speaks far greater to me, so I can look past that stuff.

Singing Deep Mountain and Some Brighter Thing are pure genius to me, as is every song on both records.

Rest in peace Sean...

And I have similar thoughts as you but for different reasons - there's some really pronounced audible clipping which could have been the master but probably occured during tracking - I suspect these guys were working on this, remote, at their hime studios, but I don't know if that's based on something I read, or was just a hunch.

But, overall, idunno.. It's sort of a dark, sludgy mix, but it's also really thick and warm. I found their first album kind of sterile and thin. I dont think I'd hold it up as an example of a great mix, or a great guitar tone, but there's a lot of depth to it that I think really works with the songwriting and source material. It's not a high budget sounding album at ALL... but it, to me, works. Especially something like the closer, Deep Singing Mountain... I think the fairly dark, low-end-heavy, warm mix feels very appropriate.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No idea, but you have some great stuff to listen to for the first time.

They've also announced a remaster of Traced In Air and... it's pretty bittersweet. Not only because half of the band isn't with us anymore, but while they put Sean's bass higher in the mix, they completely removed the harsh vocals.

mastapimp

Reaction score
No idea, but you have some great stuff to listen to for the first time.

They've also announced a remaster of Traced In Air and... it's pretty bittersweet. Not only because half of the band isn't with us anymore, but while they put Sean's bass higher in the mix, they completely removed the harsh vocals.

This has been out for 2 years dude, before anyone in the band was dead.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just read the update and I'm really having a hard time with this. I'm so lost for words.

As for the recording process for Emergent, I remember following it closely and it indeed was all done remotely and the majority if not all of Sean's work was recorded via his rackmount Pod Pro that he always used.

The digital clipping that is audible was always something that I hear as character because the music speaks far greater to me, so I can look past that stuff.

Singing Deep Mountain and Some Brighter Thing are pure genius to me, as is every song on both records.

Rest in peace Sean...
Yeah, honestly... it's got this, idunno, "world music" vibe to it but one that doesnt seen to be tied to any real culture, like it's world music from some other world and all we've got is just this music. Some artifacts in the recording process almost, and I can't believe I'm saying this, add to the feeling of thayt album being an artifact from somewhere else. I'm a ninja about that shit in my own work, for the most part... but I think sometimes you just have to work with what you have, and as I'm writing this I'm thinking back to a proect I did with my dad and uncle and how on a soft acoustic guitar part for one of the songs there's some barely audible birds singing in the background towards the start of the song, and listening today I wouldn't change that if I could.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I already knew this from some mutual friends, but it still sucks reading it. I will have to spin the two GKs along with some Cynic...

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, honestly... it's got this, idunno, "world music" vibe to it but one that doesnt seen to be tied to any real culture, like it's world music from some other world and all we've got is just this music. Some artifacts in the recording process almost, and I can't believe I'm saying this, add to the feeling of thayt album being an artifact from somewhere else. I'm a ninja about that shit in my own work, for the most part... but I think sometimes you just have to work with what you have, and as I'm writing this I'm thinking back to a proect I did with my dad and uncle and how on a soft acoustic guitar part for one of the songs there's some barely audible birds singing in the background towards the start of the song, and listening today I wouldn't change that if I could.

Here's an interview with Jason Gobel (the fourth member of the "original" Cynic) about working on the GK albums, among a lot of other stuff:
https://toughriffs.weebly.com/interviews/interview-with-jason-gobel-cynic

Rosal76

Reaction score
Here's an interview with Jason Gobel (the fourth member of the "original" Cynic) about working on the GK albums, among a lot of other stuff:
https://toughriffs.weebly.com/interviews/interview-with-jason-gobel-cynic

I read that interview a few years ago and love it. Excellent questions and answers. I really liked the part where Jason answered the questions regarding the time he was in Monstrosity. You normally don't see interviews from members of the Imperial doom lineup/era. On occasion, I'll see/read something from Lee Harrison and George Fisher but not from the other members. After I read the interview, I even told Jason Gobel on his Facebook page that I really enjoyed reading what he had to say in that interview. :hbang:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
... but it, to me, works...
+1:agreed:

To me, it always seemed intentional - Like a reverse-sear steak. Frying a steak is not the best way to cook one, but if you "get it done" on the grill and then sear the outsides on a cast iron skillet, you've got something great.

fps

Kit
Reaction score

Emergent is such a great record. I wouldn’t have it sound any other way.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
So am I the only one that feels Paul releasing new Cynic material now outside of a tribute is just not right? I saw the update today plugging something new tomorrow and cringed.
Cynic has basically been Paul's metal output for 15 years now anyway. Just the difference is that now they'll have a worse drummer and bass player to help with the writing. Seems like Malone was meant to be part of this album.

')