River KTRE?

• Thread starter kazE
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kazE

Reaction score
After much research I'm pretty much certain my next head will be an ENGL Powerball. However I recently read some really good things about the Rivera KTRE, how does that compare?

Thanks.

EDIT: I have upwards of $2000 to spend, looking for my best option.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
So far as i'm aware, they don't compare really.

The ENGL's in general (though my experience with the Powerball is limited) are supposed to be oretty saturated sounding amps, whereas the Rivera has a more open sort of roar to it. I also believe the mid-range focus is slightly different.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
After much research I'm pretty much certain my next head will be an ENGL Powerball. However I recently read some really good things about the Rivera KTRE, how does that compare?

Thanks.

They're completely different animals.

Gainwise, they're about on par. Both have infinite gain. Basically the Powerball is ultra compressed, very sterile and somewhat processed sounding, albeit tight and clear. It has a somewhat scooped character to it. I just really dont like the Powerball, especially the thin treble characteristic. I owned it and was not impressed one iota. It's loud, tight, and clear, but it lacks a lot of balls, meaty midrange, or lead tones that are thick and 'sing'. It has a stiff feel to it which I really don't like as well, solid-state-ish in a way.

The K-TRE is tight and loud as well, but it has a much more massive 'wall of sound' vibe to it. Huge, thick, tight brutal distortion with great clarity but much more organic sounding than the Powerball. It also has a great clean channel. Its an amp that sounds pretty good scooped which is rare, but when you crank the mids it's just as ferocious as it gets.

It really depends on the sound you're going for. If you're after a clinical 'djenty' sound, get the Powerball. If you want something thats got tons of gain, soundshuge, aggressive, and a bit more natural sounding then I'd get the K-TRE. The K-TRE would be really good for death/melodic death metal styles among others.

I'd warn you the K-TRE is a somewhat limited amp though. It pretty much has its sound and then thats it. You can't dial in a lot of tones, it pretty much has a distortion sound and a clean channel and you're done. It's a lot like a 5150 but with a different vibe and much better cleans.

Personally, as a Rivera dealer I prefer the K-TRE Reverb and KR7 to both the K-TRE and Powerball, but I definitely like the K120TRE over the Powerball easily. Great amp at a reasonable cost. I know I could be considered a biased source, but I strongly recommend the Rivera over the Powerball. It really blows it away IMO.

kazE

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply zimbloth.

Well I am somewhat new to tube amps (this next purchase will only be my second). I mostly play heavy stuff, my price range is $2000 or less. Overall the Powerball has been the #1 suggested head to me.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ If you can, by all means try it dude. Amps aren't as cut and dry as they can seem at times, and just because one person hates one amp, doesn't mean you will too :)

That being said though, i think Zim's description is pretty spot on :yesway:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply zimbloth.

Well I am somewhat new to tube amps (this next purchase will only be my second). I mostly play heavy stuff, my price range is $2000 or less. Overall the Powerball has been the #1 suggested head to me.

Well could you be more specific about the style of music you play and the tone you're after? I can definitley point you in the right direction based on that, I have experience with most high-gain tube amps out there.

If the Powerball is the #1 amp being recommended to you, theres a good chance you've been talking to a lot of questionable dudes...because that amp is fairly mediocre as far as tube goes, IMO. Just sounds kind of boring I think, there are better ENGLs.

If anything the Fireball model may make more sense for you. Although if you want the Rivera, it's $2099 but I could probably fit it in your price range if you're interested.

kazE

Reaction score
Yeah I understand.

Well I mostly play metal so that would be the #1 determining factor in choosing. I don't want a one trick pony per say but I am looking for a heavy, tight distortion with that really nice definition. I'm looking for the best overall amp in the >$2k range.

Trying to think here, August Burns Red has a really nice sound IMO.

I don't have a lot of experience with tube amps so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah I understand.

Well I mostly play metal so that would be the #1 determining factor in choosing. I don't want a one trick pony per say but I am looking for a heavy, tight distortion with that really nice definition. I'm looking for the best overall amp in the >$2k range.

Trying to think here, August Burns Red has a really nice sound IMO.

I don't have a lot of experience with tube amps so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I know you play metal, I meant more specific than that. As in the style, your desired tone, some band's tones you like, etc.

If you're into stuff like August Burns Red, I'd stay away from the Powerball. Their tone sounds nothing like that. I've read they use 5150 and VHTs. The Rivera is going to be much closer to this sound than the ENGL. Both in terms of tone and feel.

I personally think you'd dig the K-Tre a lot. It and the Fryette (VHT) Pittbull 50/CL & Sig:X models are the best high-gain tube amps I can think of that retail for $2000 and under. Of course you could always just get a used Peavey 5150 for around $800 and call it a day, but those are pretty one dimensional amps with no usable cleans - which sounds like its not for you.

If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me directly as I'm going to head to bed in a minute. I'm happy to talk tube amps with you anytime.

Cheers :cheers:

kazE

Reaction score
More specific huh? I guess a majority is melodic metal and stuff similar.

So you're saying the best overall choices are either a VHT, KTRE and possibly the Fireball?

We can PM from now on if you want, I don't mind either way.

yacker

Reaction score
Let me just chime in on my Engl experiences since you've been recommended the powerball. As you can see from previous comments they definitely have their issues and probably aren't the best amp out there in the 2k price range. That said, I think the Engl Invader and Steve Morse signature are both amazing. Invader being my favorite and the Morse being a very close 2nd. Both are a decent bit above the $2,000 price range though. I have no personal experience with the fireball though, so I can't comment on that one.

There's a good chance one of the amps Zimbloth mentioned would make you more then happy though. It's just always best to try out as many amps as possible in the same place at the same time so you can judge their differences. If you are looking into Engl though, I'd check out the two amps I mentioned.

kazE

Reaction score
Yeah decisions, decisions. I'm definitely leaning toward a VHT/Fryette atm but I'm still open a ENGL or Rivera.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
I would go for the K-tre. Also check out Brunetti Amps. They have some on ebay with pretty good prices. The XL-Revo looks pretty awesome. Mesa boogie roadster is great too IMO! :yesway:

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
So far ive owned a Dual Recto, Fireball, Diezel Einstein, VHT/Fryette Pittbull UL and now a Rivera KR 7 and my honest opinion is that the Rivera and VHT blow the other ones away. The Einstein was good but the UL and KR 7 for some reason just destroy it. So if i were you, i would look into the K Tre or a used Pittbull UL. Both can be found for around the 2k price range.

kazE

Reaction score
Yeah I think based on zimbloth's recommendation I will be going with the KTRE Reverb.

Going to be getting a Vader 2x12 cab to go with it as well.

')