Robbed of My Tone...

• Thread starter WayneCustom7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, I mean I didn't think you guys were this deep. I am fucking impressed. If anything, my problems have brought out the best in you guys...yeah I guess you are right, I'm just an impatient fucker, I guess I'll just go with the flow...however I am the type of player that plays a hell of a lot better when I am 'into it'...hopefully time will heal all of this. I appreciate all of your comments and words of advice, I really have nobody else to turn to...thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
damn dude... 5 pages of replies and 60 more threads to read... so I'm just replying.

Tell the bass player to shove it. That's partially why I like working ALONE and doing all instrumentals, or srhed. You get full control of what you want. I always use my neck pickup, and usually don't have much treble, and have a ton of bass. I like my leads and riffs to sound like notes, not ODing the system with distortion. So shit, show him the recordings, and get input from the other band members. I remember a while ago about you saying that you write the material, record the demos, and send it out, that's more than any of the others can say... so you have priority. If you wrote the song, then yout ake control over it.

Good luck! and nice playing!

SHREDDER

ShredAholic
Reaction score
Maybe you should get ahold of James Hetfield and find out the name of metallica's therapist. He should be able to help! :nuts:

:wallbash:

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, ok I just got an email from the bass player, I haven't read it yet, I just sort of skimmed over it. I guess he felt since he couldn't punch through the keys and my guitar tone, he felt that perhaps he was left out of the jam...I guess I can understand that. He's been studying some online documents about my gear, I guess he wants to fix my tone. I don't know, I guess it's either fit in or get the fuck out!

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Fire your musicians (because if you do all the work, and they just play they ARE your musicians...)

Sorry, but seriously try talking it out calmly with them...

Kinda obvious....only advice I can give though.

ephrion

Reaction score
"Thanks Dave, ok I just got an email from the bass player, I haven't read it yet, I just sort of skimmed over it. I guess he felt since he couldn't punch through the keys and my guitar tone, he felt that perhaps he was left out of the jam...I guess I can understand that. He's been studying some online documents about my gear, I guess he wants to fix my tone. I don't know, I guess it's either fit in or get the fuck out!"

He's been studying online documents about YOUR gear?

and he uses guitar gear?

He's an idiot, you need to kick him in the head and show him to Guitar Center, have him pick up a bass rig

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Heh. He can't punch through the mix and he wants to fix your gear?

LOL

What a wanker! He obviously feels he's god's gift to bass.

Politely suggest to him that the reason he's having difficulty cutting through the mix is that he's trying to amplify a bass signal with guitar gear, which was not designed for the task, and that he might have more success with his sound in a band situation if he were using a bass rig instead.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess that's where I stand...either I conform to their settings, and play along, or i go back on my own. I don't know if he's into getting new gear. His suggestions in his email were that we get together and work on a tone together, both of our tones. Of course I responded to his email, outlining the difficulties and challenges we'll face with not only his rig but also my decision to play a seven string. I mean I wasn't an asshole in my response, but I did stand up for myself, including all of your comments in there :lol:
I just can't figure something, I am giving him the opportunity of a lifetime...we had discussed this and agreed that when I play those low rythm parts, that he would be free to explore the full scale of his bass (and I mentioned this in the response BTW), then we would exchange parts, its called working together, enjoying a little freedom and not being shoved into a one dimensional corner. There shouldn't even have been a discussion about frequency competition...

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Your bassist definitely sounds like a frustrated guitarist. Most 'true' bassists I've known have been quite eager to fit into the overall sound around them. Of course, they generally haven't been playing through guitar gear.

Actually, I take that back--in my old old band the bassist played through my Carvin 4x12 rig because we were all broke college kids and couldn't afford new gear. But I was playing guitar through a 1x12 combo, so it wasn't a problem. Of course, we sounded like ass no matter what gear we were playing through. :lol:

In your situation, it sounds to me like either your bassist needs to get a new 'tude or you need to get a new bassist.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
jacksonplayer said:
Your bassist definitely sounds like a frustrated guitarist. Most 'true' bassists I've known have been quite eager to fit into the overall sound around them. Of course, they generally haven't been playing through guitar gear.

Actually, I take that back--in my old old band the bassist played through my Carvin 4x12 rig because we were all broke college kids and couldn't afford new gear. But I was playing guitar through a 1x12 combo, so it wasn't a problem. Of course, we sounded like ass no matter what gear we were playing through. :lol:

In your situation, it sounds to me like either your bassist needs to get a new 'tude or you need to get a new bassist.
'tude'
I like that. Fuck that'd be a killer name for a Glam Rock Band...TUDE! :lol:

')