Roberto-Venn builds: Acoustic, Blackmachine, Strandberg content

• Thread starter 9voltchicken
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riley

Reaction score
Whats up with the string spacing at the bridge of the blackmachineish one?

They look pretty darn good for your first builds(assuming these are your first).

jemfloral

Reaction score
So, how much are you going to sell me that strandberg copy for? ;)

...but for serious, let me know

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
The finish on that acoustic is great! What kinda polishing did you do?

Thanks, We use good o'l nitrocellulose lacquer. It's fairly nasty stuff but it's relatively easy to work with compared to poly. I think I've spent a total of 3-4 hours wet sanding and 2-3 hours of buffing on that guitar.

Whats up with the string spacing at the bridge of the blackmachineish one?

They look pretty darn good for your first builds(assuming these are your first).

I used a bridge with a variable string spacing that enables me to use standard spaced or F spaced pickups. It's made by schaller. Black Non-Tremolo Bridge | Allparts.com
Thanks for your compliments, I've built a grand total of one guitar before this.

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
Welp, I graduated with flying colors. I ended up finishing 4 guitars with one needing a final wet sanding and buffing. It's been a wild ride and I wouldn't trade the experiences and stories obtained at Roberto-Venn for anything. If you have any interest in building and/or working on guitars for a living, you could do a lot worse than this school.

I'd like to thank those of you watching this thread for your support and encouragement. It means a great deal to me when people like my work. I do try.

Incoming massive bombardment of pictures!

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
OP, I'm guessing that you are not new to wood-working, and these aren't the first guitars you've built? These are seriously good quality and do not look like beginners work at all, they look like the sort of thing a serious luthier-in-training would make. You've obviously got a lot of talent and I wish you the best of luck in your career.

9voltchicken

Aspiring Luthier
Reaction score
OP, I'm guessing that you are not new to wood-working, and these aren't the first guitars you've built? These are seriously good quality and do not look like beginners work at all, they look like the sort of thing a serious luthier-in-training would make. You've obviously got a lot of talent and I wish you the best of luck in your career.

I've only actually built one guitar before these which I also documented on this forum. As far as my past woodworking experience, the only woodworking project I can recall (that I built mostly by myself) is a fish tank stand build because I refused to pay nearly $200 for one. I do however have a couple years experience in a machine shop using various milling machines and CNC stuff.

I do plan creating a shop in the near future and building on the side with the possibility of becoming my primary focus if I can find the means to sustain myself through building alone. The rough plan is to use primarily (not exclusively) reclaimed hardwoods from the massive groves of fruit and nut trees in the central valley in CA.

Thanks for all your support. I hope to be able to say that I build guitars for a living someday.

Levi79

Reaction score
Those are all really slick dude! I really like the Oroborous inlay, I was planning to do one on my second build but changed my mind last minute. That tele finish came out a lot cooler than I expected honestly! Flaxwood influence?

')