Roberto-Venn project builds

Which pickups would you choose for a seven/ eight string?

• Total voters

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Cool. I love these RV build threads. Wish I could go there myself since I'm local, but alas, I already have a full time job and RV doesn't offer evening classes >.<

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlexV

Banned
Reaction score
I love it!Your wood choices will be so varied that youll have a very difficult time deciding what you want as a veneer and as for body woods, your choices are mahogany or alder.The wood at rv will be some of the finest youll ever encounter in your entire life (You wont see better quality wood than theirs, and then you'll die).

Like the wood, youll get to choose from a very long list of pickup brands and designs but Jim Prater orders them; RV doesnt stockpile pickups because theres no way of fortelling what people wil or will not choose and itd be financially draining to the school.You can choose them but they wont be ordered immidietly as you wont need them until a few months in.You cant bring your own either because theres the risk that whatever you bring into the school wont work and nobody wants to wait for their pickups to ship from Brittain a few months down the line when the deadline MUST be met.Deadlines are everything
at Roberto venn.

As for your wacky design, as long as it doesnt look "silly" and isnt impractical then itll probably pass.However, it was mentioned by Kris Olsen that this will be the last semester that were allowed to go "crazy" with our designs and more stringent guidelines are being discussed for what can and cant be done(maybe templates will be the future of first instruments?).But the good news is that youre graded after five weeks and if you maintain a B average then you can build a third guitar and you can do anyhing youd like.

Hope this helps meat-kun, and CONGLATURATION.

"All your base is belong to us"

AlexV

Banned
Reaction score
Im actually the only local in attendance this semester. Theres a kid from japan and another from Ireland,
O _ O.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I voted for Aftermath's. But you really need to go for Juggs, because since they're the newest pickup that means all older models instantly suck. It also helps that the majority of the people voting for Juggs in your poll have likely never played them, so that way you're getting the true hype, unbiased by actual trial. But hurry up, because if a new model comes out you will be stuck with an older model. After all, the technology in passive pickups changes very fast, and makes older ones unusable.

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
I voted for Aftermath's. But you really need to go for Juggs, because since they're the newest pickup that means all older models instantly suck. It also helps that the majority of the people voting for Juggs in your poll have likely never played them, so that way you're getting the true hype, unbiased by actual trial. But hurry up, because if a new model comes out you will be stuck with an older model. After all, the technology in passive pickups changes very fast, and makes older ones unusable.

From sound clips, the Juggernauts are actually my least favorite by far. They're pretty much just the War Pig but less of it.

The acoustic is looking pretty nice, the electric should look great when the finishing is done. The contours look pretty good.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It's my dream to one day take a course like this. I would LOVE to learn to properly build a guitar. I'm totally jelly of you guys doing it.

AlexV

Banned
Reaction score
It's my dream to one day take a course like this. I would LOVE to learn to properly build a guitar. I'm totally jelly of you guys doing it.
There's no need to be jealous, hollowway.Its a fantastic program sure but graduating Roberto Venn just means youre officially a beginner. Youll be able to do it one day if you really want it ;).

You might as well try to follow whichever dreams you have while youre still alive since well all be nonexistant one day anyways.

TheHumanMeat

Reaction score
So if your a local you might have a good recommendation. I live in far North Scottsdale/Cave Creek area and was calculating that the cost of the living down by RV would be the same as living up here and driving all the way down. What would you personally prefer?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
There's no need to be jealous, hollowway.Its a fantastic program sure but graduating Roberto Venn just means youre officially a beginner. Youll be able to do it one day if you really want it ;).

You might as well try to follow whichever dreams you have while youre still alive since well all be nonexistant one day anyways.

Yep. I agree. I will be doing it. (Actually, I'm hoping for the weeklong Ormsby gig). It's just a matter of when. I can't wait!

AlexV

Banned
Reaction score
So if your a local you might have a good recommendation. I live in far North Scottsdale/Cave Creek area and was calculating that the cost of the living down by RV would be the same as living up here and driving all the way down. What would you personally prefer?

Im not sure if I can recommend anything.I live with my parents, if I had to live alone in some dilapidated, human infested apartment complex amongst the worthless whores and degenerates that call themselves human beings, Id have an existential breakdown and shoot myself in the head within the first two days.It gives me stress-nightmares to simply contemplate it.

You shouldn't live in the housing provided, people are terrible,terrible things and that part of town is aweful.

L'enfer, c'est les autres

Eliguy666

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is insensitive of me, but reading that post actually scares me.

I hope sincerely that you wrote in jest, or are currently in an awful mood from some recent event, because I cannot imagine a reason to intentionally dehumanize an entire neighborhood of people.

I've struggled with anxiety and depression for most of my life, I always feel isolated, I will go entire nights awake afraid that if I fall asleep the person who wakes up won't be me, but I've found that, no matter who I talk to or where I go, it is always other people who reassure me and try to make me feel at home in my own life.

AlexV

Banned
Reaction score
I wasnt kidding.May I ask why this scares you?

I despise human beings almost as much as I despise myself, and that hatred only grows as I continually witness examples of how callous, compassionless, and abhorrent they are.Its other people who unsettle me, depress me and make me feel so hopeless, so worthless.It doesn't matter how kind you are to them or how much you try , theyll always tear those attempts to shreds and spit in your face just so they can laugh as they watch your resolve shatter into peices.I can tolerate them to a certan degree, but Id rather be alone.

Its a beautiful word, "Alone".

"Life is the slowest way to die"

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
I really do hope he is over exaggerating the kind of people there because I had been really considering staying near RV (I find RV more appealing that MI's Guitar Craft Academy), since I live in SoCal.

Edit: Okay so this sounds more like an existential kind of hatred towards man kind, kind of thing, and I shouldn't be worried because they way you described them is probably obesely wrong.

Eliguy666

Reaction score
Your post scares me because you're obviously, by your work, a capable person, but you are openly misanthropic with implied misogyny/racism ("whores and degenerates that call themselves human beings"), openly judged XxJoshxX for his location and cartoon preferences, and punctuate posts with completely unrelated emo-grade quotes.

AlexV

Banned
Reaction score
Misogyny?Racism?The word "whore" isn't exclusive to women and the word "degenerate" isnt exclusive to any one hereditary grouping or culture despite what any brainwashed sjw on tumblr will tell you.I do hate people though, but for good reason.

The word "emo" is just a lazy rhetorical device used to both mockingly dismiss a certain viewpoint and discredit the person stating it without making a single attempt to understand what that person is trying to express either vocally or in writing.Ipso facto, its nothing more than gimpy language.

Then again, what would I know.

Eliguy666

Reaction score
Deleting that post was probably a good idea, as it was in direct contrast with rule two.

Keep building, you're doing decently with it. I hope that you can become a healthier person in the future.

Eliguy666

Reaction score
If anyone is curious, this is the post that AlexV deleted. I wasn't going to post it, but, upon further consideration, I have reached a state of "he typed it, it's his fault."

N7sy5sl.jpg

')