Rogue STR-1 Pro Electric Sitar Guitar

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-STR1-Pro-Electric-Sitar-Guitar?sku=519273

275770.jpg

For $300, it's almost worth picking up just for the sake of curiosity alone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Again, further evidence that many of the people on this board have zero knowledge of anything prior to 1983. ;)

Those things have been around since the '60s. But a cheap Asian knock-off for $300? That could be fun. But it also has a tentency to get overused. I strongly disliked Vai's practice of layering electric sitar under almost anything clean he played back in the late '90s.

fathead

Cranius Deformus
Reaction score
Yeah, I've eyeballed one of those a few times in the last couple of months. Wonder what it would be like with a bunch of effects and feeding back. But at the same time if I were to try sitar I think the traditional one looks pretty cool.

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
Again, further evidence that many of the people on this board have zero knowledge of anything prior to 1983. ;)

I think Jerry Jones first made them in the 60's...

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
I've always wanted to get one of these to noodle around on, but getting an electric sitar that's a bit more authentic would definitely be cooler:

e-sitar1.jpg

:metal:

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think Jerry Jones first made them in the 60's...

:lol:
This is an almost identical copy of the Coral Electric Sitar, which was quite popular in the late 60's - 70's, with Danelectro lipstick pickups and a really odd, crinkled finish. I've played a couple of old ones, and they really sound good. Lots of fun, but the novelty wears thin fast.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Yeah, it's true, it's very strange, but i love to have one to play some space metal.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I've always wanted to get one of these to noodle around on, but getting an electric sitar that's a bit more authentic would definitely be cooler:

e-sitar1.jpg

:metal:

Now THAT is what I call a scalloped fretboard.

I've been kind of looking at that Rogue for a couple years now, but I just haven't had it in me to spend the cash to try it out. I'd imagine you could put some good aftermarket lipsticks in there and have a pretty cool instrument.

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
This is an almost identical copy of the Coral Electric Sitar, which was quite popular in the late 60's - 70's, with Danelectro lipstick pickups and a really odd, crinkled finish. I've played a couple of old ones, and they really sound good. Lots of fun, but the novelty wears thin fast.

D'oh!

I'd forgotten that Jerry Jones made the reissues and that the originals were Corals...

I will go and listen to a copy of "Concert for Bangladesh" by way of self-punishment...

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score

Those things have been around since the '60s. But a cheap Asian knock-off for $300? That could be fun. But it also has a tentency to get overused. I strongly disliked Vai's practice of layering electric sitar under almost anything clean he played back in the late '90s.

HAHAHAHAHAHA Well put. Those things have been around for a long ass time. There is a video of metheny using one and its very delicious sounding!

You can hear that thing on ever album Vai did up till Sex & religion.

He used it big time in Zappa others of prevention all the david lee stuff, and its all over Passion & Whorefare.

nogg

Reaction score
I spoke with the guy who designed the Coral Sitar .. years ago ..
He worked with Rogue to correct some of the flaws the Coral's had
and gave it his Blessings.. fyi

Status
Not open for further replies.
')