Ron Jarzombek "Oscillation Cycles" instructional DVD preview...

• Thread starter vontetzianos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
^^
exactly... saying that it's just diminshed, completely misses the point.

i think he lays it out in a way, that just reading/listening to his examples is enough to get a decent grasp of it... not much studying required, i'd think of it as more of a basic tool or guideline (like circle of 5ths.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
I really admire the way the way Machinations was written. It seems to give an order to writing music, and Ron has proved along with many others that you can achieve some cool results.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
mucho Excellant!
I love Blotted science so it's really cool to me to see how
he thinks this shit out.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
Does anyone know what he's playing through? I know he uses Marshall amps but I've seen him use a number of others as well.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know what he's playing through? I know he uses Marshall amps but I've seen him use a number of others as well.

For the Blotted recordings all I used was a Johnson J-Station pod set on 'Rectified', which I think is a model of a Mesa-Boogie '94 preamp. The cabinet setting is 4 30W Celestion speakers, I think. I’ve also used this setup on ‘Ink Compatible’ and ‘SSoTC’. On just about all of my CDs, I record totally dry, then add fx on computer with Sony’s Sound Forge.

I now have a custom built 7 string guitar, but for Machinations recordings I used 2 different tuned 6 string guitars. Actually, I used about 5 guitars, but mainly my purple and yellow swirl strat for the high stuff (tuned normal E A D G B E), and the Ink Complete blotted guitar for the low A material (tuned A E A D F# B). I am now relearning everything on the 7 string, which is tuned A E A D G B E.

For playing live (which right now is just local stuff) I had been using Line 6 pods and pedalboards. I just landed a Digitech endorsement and am going to be using their new GSP 1101 preamp (also used by the Megadeth guys, Michael Wilton, Roy Z, and a few others) along with my Mesa-Boogie power amp, which I’ve had since the WatchTower days.

Ron

Thats from his forum... I remember seeing a marshall (not sure which one) on one of their blotted science rehearsal vids.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
For the longest time, he recorded at home with a Johnson J-Station.
He got hooked up with Digitech about a year ago & now he uses the GSP1101! I've talked to him about it & he loves it. :yesway:

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
For the longest time, he recorded at home with a Johnson J-Station.
He got hooked up with Digitech about a year ago & now he uses the GSP1101! I've talked to him about it & he loves it. :yesway:

how does that compare to something like axe-fx or maybe the g9.2tt (i just ordered the later recently, and have never head of the gsp1101 until today)?

vontetzianos

Reaction score
On his website theres one or two pics of him using engls as well. I think it was the SE IIRC.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
He's also got two other forthcoming DVD's - one on scales, one on time signatures afaik...

DO WANT :D

No idea how the GSP 1101 stacks up to the Axe-Fx as I've not heard the former. Time to investigate I think....

Given the axe-fx is 4 or 5 times the price I would guess that its unwise to strictly compare the two. The GSP looks as if its designed to function specifically for folks who already have their tone via other amps/preamps - more like a super configureable effects unit even whilst it does have amp modelling of its own.

cycloptopus

Reaction score
Ron Jarzombek is sick. I think his writing style is cool as hell. While technical, it is also musical. It certaintly isn't David Gilmour chills on the back of your spine style, but it flows real well and he has alot of really cool phrasing.

')