Ron Jarzombek "Oscillation Cycles" instructional DVD preview...

• Thread starter vontetzianos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
EDIT: this may be the wrong forum section, so if a mod happens to see this feel free to move it the appropriate section. Cheers.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Ron Jarzombek is a freakshow genius. Cheers for the link, definitely awaiting this DVD.

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
Kudos for him playing on a 7 but as with Blotted Science i just can't get into it. :(

Anyways great chops (abeit calculated randomesque) and a 7 in an instructional vid. :yesway:

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Holy Crap! :holy:

We studied 12-tone music in school, I even know a guy that composes nothing but... but this was actually almost coherent! :lol:

Monster tone by the way... what is that guitar he's using?

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Holy Crap! :holy:

We studied 12-tone music in school, I even know a guy that composes nothing but... but this was actually almost coherent! :lol:

Monster tone by the way... what is that guitar he's using?

If I'm not mistaken he built his own custom 7.

vgguru39

Reaction score
The reason why this twelve tone music is interesting is because it's not truly atonal. It's split into three separate diminished tonal units with the notes jumbled around. It's a cool concept. I can't wait for this DVD, Ron is a rhythmic genius.

Reaction score
I dunno. Sounds like he's making something extremely simple--diminished chords--needlessly complicated. You could also fulfill the 12-tone scheme by moving them up by whole note increments instead of chromatically.

And you can do the same sorta thing with augmented chords.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks really cool- he's a great player, and if the rest of the DVD is like this, i may have to pick it up.

Reaction score
I dunno. Sounds like he's making something extremely simple--diminished chords--needlessly complicated. You could also fulfill the 12-tone scheme by moving them up by whole note increments instead of chromatically.

Pretty much what I was thinking, I love Ron as a player, but.....

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score

dude, check out his website., he has this detailed out pretty well... what was represented in this clip is just a single take on this (a single song)... he would consider this particular set of notes as a single "key". buy the blotted science album, then read his theory on his site and connect the dots. If I'm not mistaken, most of the music on the Blotted Science album was conceived using this method.

Heres an example of a key....
rjsynaptic4.jpg

now watch this...
http://www.ronjarzombek.com/rjsynaptic2.wmv

Or better yet, youtube the song REM by blotted science, based off of this...
rjrem2.jpg

http://www.ronjarzombek.com/rj12tone.html

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score

Agreed, to a point.

This is his method, and if you want to learn the method he's devised to write his material (from his perspective), follow the theory. For someone with a background in theory, this is fairly obvious. But I don't think this is for people who have actually studied twelve tone theory to a degree.

(Note: Listening and "reading about" does not constitute studying - Playing, and in depth analysis of score does)

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score

You're correct, it is only diminished chords. However, what is so genius about it all is how Ron Jarzombek arranged it, which as others have pointed out has everything to do with the twelve tone theory.

')