Ron Thorn's take on CNC and timeframes etc. (interesting read)

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Thought the same, but that's mostly because he doesn't seem to be a pro in the paintshop. If the guy that paints my guitars needed 30 hours of working time for one finish, he'd have to charge me something between 1000 and 2000 bucks...

ron thorn is one of the best and most meticulous guitar finishers in the business tho.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
ron thorn is one of the best and most meticulous guitar finishers in the business tho.
1. Might or might not be the case - I never heard of the guy.
2. Doesn't mean he's a trained painter. He'd be bankrupt if he needed to live of painting things if he takes 30 hours of working time for one guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So if I wanted a guitar with 5 coats of nitrocellulose that has a 4hr drying time, would he take 80 hours?

Considering final sanding the wood, prep-work, painting, wet sanding between coats, final wet sanding and polishing... 80 hours is maybe a stretch but I could see 20 - 40 hours going into a quality paintjob, absolutely.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. Might or might not be the case - I never heard of the guy.
2. Doesn't mean he's a trained painter. He'd be bankrupt if he needed to live of painting things if he takes 30 hours of working time for one guitar.

Ron Thorn has stayed pretty far under the radar considering how much work he's done for the big boys, Fender, Jackson, Ibanez, etc.

More recently he did the swirls for the Universe PAW Anniversary guitars.

He can paint.