Rosewood Fretboard Help Needed

• Thread starter slay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slay

Reaction score
hey everybody. On my schecter i lightly sanded my frets with a very fine sanding sponge. I then applied dunlop lemon oil to it twice. It looks healthy and dark but the problem is the fretboard doesn't have that nice feel to it anymore. My fingers dont slide on the fretboard like they used to.

What i mean is before i sanded the fretboard it was like it had some sort of finish on it(wax maybe?) that made my fingers slide really easy on it. Now my fingers get kind of get stuck on it.

I know i should have probably used steel wool but i have used the same sanding sponge on other rosewood fretboards and i didn't even have to apply oil to them after in order for my fingers to slide easily across the board.

any tips/solutions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Well you aren't supposed to sand your fretboard for one.....

Put Mineral Oil on it or linseed oil and let it soak for a good 10min or so than if it sucks it up pretty good add more and wait a bit. Than brush lightly over it from low e to high e using fine steel wool. Wipe excess off with clean cloth dampened w/ either of the above and than wipe clean with dry cloth and you're good to go.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Well you aren't supposed to sand your fretboard for one.....

well he did say he sanded his frets, which is fine with some very light sand paper or a sponge as he used. so I hope he did sand only the frets and not the board!

slay

Reaction score
thanks guys

i think it is from the oil making the board moist because i notice it is starting to go away.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
the fretboard takes a while to fully soak in the oil. the board will be a little sticky until that happens.

i usually let the guitar sit for a day after giving the fret board an oil treatment.

Wi77iam

Ibanez fanboi
Reaction score
yeah, its probably just sticky from the oil, you'll have to wipe it down after you're done with the oil, let it soak for about 5- 10 minutes, and then wipe off excess thoroughly.

')