ROTER FANNED FRETS prodyction model ??? Go buy an AGILE instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
You guys are gonna kill me, I just noticed something else :lol:

Is it just me, or are the neck pickup polepieces seriously widely spaced? The outside poles line up with the outside corners of the fingerboard, as opposed to where the strings will actually be!

DSC00050.jpg

I doubt it'll cause tonal problems, but it does look a little strange. Definitely something to correct in the next batch of Merlins.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
^^ No, you're right about that. As to whether they'll cause tonal probs, I don't know enough about pups to know that, but I do know that F-spaced pups exist for a reason. Unfortunately I think if those are the actual pups they'll have to go back to Merlin to be redone. Unless the string spacing at the bridge/nut is crazy narrow, which I would hope it's not. I don't remember who, but someone on here had a pickup made by someone for their guitar and it had to go back because the pole pieces didn't line up under the strings. Maybe it was Adam's crazy 11 stringer?

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
You guys are gonna kill me, I just noticed something else :lol:

Is it just me, or are the neck pickup polepieces seriously widely spaced? The outside poles line up with the outside corners of the fingerboard, as opposed to where the strings will actually be!

DSC00050.jpg

I doubt it'll cause tonal problems, but it does look a little strange. Definitely something to correct in the next batch of Merlins.

Lethe already pointed that out a few pages back, but didn't get a reply

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
^^

this "problem" was discussed many months ago :)
I was asking that do you want 2 pickups exactly matching the string spacing what will force us to make the neck pickup smaller than bridge pickup (prototype is made that way) and you wanted "easy swap" so I was forced to make standard pickups for that possibility. Neck pickups anyway have normal size, but pole pieces are more narrow than in "production" pickups on the market to match the spacing without any problems as much as possible

Lethe

Reaction score
So how about the fret alignment? Is it a template problem or does it only occur in that particular guitar?

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
^^

this "problem" was discussed many months ago :)
I was asking that do you want 2 pickups exactly matching the string spacing what will force us to make the neck pickup smaller than bridge pickup (prototype is made that way) and you wanted "easy swap" so I was forced to make standard pickups for that possibility. Neck pickups anyway have normal size, but pole pieces are more narrow than in "production" pickups on the market to match the spacing without any problems as much as possible

thanks for the clarification, I must have missed that discussion.

shredfreak

Reaction score
Defintaly going to put one of these on my "want to buy list".

Fanned 8 with maple fretboard would be pure sex :scream:

Jeepers

Reaction score
Its strange, looking at the other photos of the necks, some look like the fret is misaligned but others dont lol. i hope its just the photo XD

DannabisAx

Reaction score
What a guitar.

The features seem incredible and the price is quite nice.

Excuse my incredulity but,

Is this for real?

I would get one of these suckers 8 string style as my main guitar.

Something that seems this special and accessible is hard to believe.

Are orders still placable?

Anyone get one shipped to them far from where these are made? Any issues with shipping damage or primary set-up or anything?

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
59 page thread with plenty of input started by a Luthier who has a website and a good reputation? Yes this is real, orders are still placeable as far as I know seeing as it will just become a full production model, and no one has received one yet, these ones being built will be the first batch going out. (Unless someone bought the prototype, I don't know)

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
so? any updates on the frets?

it was bad template for 7 strings, one of the slots is to wide and miss lined and some 7s are ok and some are not :noway:

bad fretboard are replaced right now :yesway:

8, 9 and 10 string templates are ok :)

Jeepers

Reaction score
the fretboards are already replaced? :O
man that was fast lol

how far off are they from being done now?

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
it was bad template for 7 strings, one of the slots is to wide and miss lined and some 7s are ok and some are not :noway:

bad fretboard are replaced right now :yesway:

8, 9 and 10 string templates are ok :)

can we see a pic of the templates you are using? i´m interested in seeing what type of templates you guys are using, since there are so many different ways of doing fanned frets :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
')