Roundwounds on fretless

• Thread starter welsh_7stinger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

welsh_7stinger

7=best number
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning on putting a epoxy layer on my fret less bass's fretboard once i have the cash for it. I was wondering would i be able to use round wound strings on the bass without the worry of extensively damaging the fretboard with the epoxy layer?

I'm asking this on here because i trust the members on here for advise.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rew

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. My fretless is rosewood without epoxy and I've had no problems. That said, I play with a moderately light touch with 105-45 strings. Be sure to only use vibrato parallel to the strings like a violinist/cellist! the only real time rounds are damaging is when players use guitar-like side-to-side vibrato. If you're still really worried about it, you could use elixer or some other coated strings for a little more protection.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I play rounds on my fretless. I just think they sound better. I have some almost negligible snail trails on the board, but nothing to write home about. :shrug:

With epoxy you'd have nothing to worry about for sure. I hear the epoxy also makes it sound a little different.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
I've been playing fretless for going on ten years now, roundwounds forever. My two fretless basses have a tiny bit of fretboard damage, but it's barely noticeable visually and not at all noticeable sonically.

I kind of want to epoxy my fretlesses, I just need for it to be summer again so I can open the windows in my front room and avoid stinking out the whole flat with the stench of epoxy.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I *want* to epoxy my board(s) but can anyone confirm whether or not there's a difference in sound? I hear the epoxy gives it a different attack. That may or may not be better on at least one of my fretlesses.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I must be the only one who finds roundwounds to sound worse on a fretless :)

welsh_7stinger

7=best number
Reaction score
K thanks for all the advice. Looks like once i get the epoxy I'm buying a set of roundwound stainless's. What i can tell from videos there is a tonal difference. i don't know how to describe it tho sorry.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, I absolutely adore roundwounds on a fretless :wub:

But be you might need to re do the fretboard over the years depending on touch. My Zon had some wear on the really heavily used parts. Man, I miss that bass (now crying)

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Btw, what I never had the pleasure of trying were "ground" or half rounds. Back in the mid nineties, if a store didn't have something, you were pretty much screwed. Would love to hear what people think of those!

')