Rowing Anyone?

• Thread starter JSanta
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JSanta

Reaction score
After gathering dust for a couple of years, I took my golf clubs to a local used/new fitness shop and bought a rowing machine. It's nothing special, but after an hours use this weekend, it seems to be plenty good enough.

I lost nearly 50 pounds from this time last year, and now I need to add some exercise into my changed diet. I used to be in the military, and after I got out, went back to school and was working full time, really let my fitness go. I also tore a few ligaments in my knee, which stopped me from going back to running as the stress, even all of these years later, still hurts.

Anyone into rowing? Other than needing good form and taking my time with it, any suggestions?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I have a cheapish rowing machine at the house, but it's gotten to collecting dust for time now unfortunately as I did a number on my back just setting it up; and then maintaining a 3 run/2 row exercise schedule became a nightmare with my workload, so I dropped it altogether.

I'll probably start using the one at my gym on one of three days I go, as it definitely was a good workout.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Huge fan. I actually like to set the damper pretty high, I feel like I get better pulls and meters that way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Rowing is the only form of cardio I can stand in the gym.
I set the damper to max and just let er rip. My goal is always to keep my average pace at 34+ m/s or faster for over 30 mins and it's pretty hard to maintain towards the end.
Good form is definitely the key to longevity, if you have shit form then you'll either end up with t-rex arms, or a tweaked lower back (or a combination of the two).
Basically the row is more about leg drive and a little bit of lower back/lat engagement ime.

JSanta

Reaction score
Any particular workouts you recommend? All I did this weekend was spend 35 minutes both Saturday and Sunday and averaged around 8300 meters each time.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Any particular workouts you recommend? All I did this weekend was spend 35 minutes both Saturday and Sunday and averaged around 8300 meters each time.

I personally like the quick burners (i.e. going all out on a 250 or 500) broken into 4 sets. I'm trying to pull this at a pace right around the 1:30 mark which for me is going all out. They would be incorporated in to other lifts. A 5k or 10k chipper might not be a bad try. If you're gettign 8300 meters in 35 mins that's not too bad at all. Shoot for a 10k.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I think that's the other aspect of rowing that made it easy to fall out of, I have zero idea of what constitutes a good time or distance; whereas everyone can relate to running in terms of how fast/slow you are.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I think that's the other aspect of rowing that made it easy to fall out of, I have zero idea of what constitutes a good time or distance; whereas everyone can relate to running in terms of how fast/slow you are.

Sub 2 minute 500 m is a good start.

JSanta

Reaction score
I personally like the quick burners (i.e. going all out on a 250 or 500) broken into 4 sets. I'm trying to pull this at a pace right around the 1:30 mark which for me is going all out. They would be incorporated in to other lifts. A 5k or 10k chipper might not be a bad try. If you're gettign 8300 meters in 35 mins that's not too bad at all. Shoot for a 10k.

I did a 10k in about 40 minutes when I came home from work. I am not sure if that's a good time or not, but I'm proud of myself for having been able to complete that.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I do it as well. I started maybe like 4 months ago or so. I have zero idea how much I’m doing, as I do it based on heart rate, and watch Netflix, lol. But I DID read that most people crank the resistance way too high. The machine I’m using goes to 10 (insert spinal tap joke) and apparently 2-3 is the sweet spot. Olympians never hit 10. Supposedly it actually inhibits your ability to get a good workout at that high of a resistance. But, that’s just based on what I read when I started.

JSanta

Reaction score
That is stellar.

Thanks! I am feeling it this morning, that much I can say! My machine isn't anything special, and doesn't have a damper (https://staminaproducts.com/product/stamina-x-air-rower/), but it's so far it's been good. I bought it not really knowing how much I'd enjoy using it as my primary cardio machine. I figure, if I can keep up to 4-5 workouts a week on it, then within the next couple of years, I'll upgrade to a more "professional" rower. My buddy bought a Concept 2 D rower, but I don't have that kind of money to throw around.

JSanta

Reaction score
I did a 15k in 58.54 minutes yesterday after work. That was really rough for me, but other than a bit of soreness, I feel great today. I signed up for the Concept 2 daily rowing workouts, and they suggested a full marathon yesterday, but that's more than I can do, at least for now. Good workout for today: Row a 5000 meter piece at a sustainable intensity, varying your stroke rate as follows: row 1000 meters @ 25 spm, 1000 meters @ 22 spm, 1000 meters @ 25 spm, 1000 meters @ 28 spm, and 1000 meters @ 25 spm.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Yeah, I do it as well. I started maybe like 4 months ago or so. I have zero idea how much I’m doing, as I do it based on heart rate, and watch Netflix, lol. But I DID read that most people crank the resistance way too high. The machine I’m using goes to 10 (insert spinal tap joke) and apparently 2-3 is the sweet spot. Olympians never hit 10. Supposedly it actually inhibits your ability to get a good workout at that high of a resistance. But, that’s just based on what I read when I started.

Makes sense. Rowers are ripped and they row in actual water. No way that’s as resistant as the upper levels on a machine.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I can get a way better workout on the tower than I can on a stationary bike, but running is still better for me. I have a much easier time getting into a higher heart rate zone running. But I enjoy rowing WAY more. So I’m basically using rowing for my lower heart rate workouts, and running for my higher heart rate workouts. And eating nachos while watching Forensic Files for my really low heart rate workouts.