Rugir Pickups 'England Custom' Alnico 6 7 String Set

• Thread starter lost_horizon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Back when I was building my custom 7 string I had just finished using the Bare Knuckle Juggernaut pickups and I wondered what would these sound like if they were Alnico 6? EDIT: I'm such an idiot, I ordered Alnico 6 NOT 8!!! Must have been drunk...

Not wanting to blow $500 to find out, I contacted the guy from Rugir Pickups Japan to make a custom set which cost about $165 USD delivered

I was planning on putting them in my RG7420 for testing.

Specs were:
Bridge: 10.72 kohm
Neck: 9.34 kohm
7 string, neck / bridge set, no cover,
4 conductor
11.5kohm or so bridge
9.5kohm neck
Alnico 6 for both
Gold screws and slugs.
Brass baseplate
Single Formver 42 wire,
Clear and crispy sound, each strings' sound is separated.

Took only a couple of weeks to arrive. This guy builds crazy stuff like custom Wide Range, 33kohm 7 string pickups etc..

First time the bridge pickup had one dead side. Had to mail it back to get it fixed.
Second thing was the wiring colours, it wasn't the Dimarzio colours of the original so there was some confusion around that.
Thirdly, the screws were too long for an RG7420 which has a really shallow pickup route. Had to cut them with a fret nipper. I've always loved pickups with short screws (Steve Morse, Double Whammy etc) and ones with long screws ('59, Seth Lovers, SH-5 Custom) so I wonder how different they would have sounded?

I have tried most Alnico 8 pickups (Alternative 8, IGNO) and I always thought whilst the palm mutes, distortion and harmonics were great, they sounded thin in the mids.

I think by choosing a low wind it kept the mids in there. With a single coil, as you add more wire it loses the mid range.

How do they sound? Pretty amazing. I love the string separation and the solo sound. Isn't as cold as ceramic and sounds almost PAF like clean.

I love low wind pickups and slightly overwound. Whilst I set out to create an Alnico 6 Juggernaut, what I got was an Alnico 6 mule, which isn't half bad.

If you like the sound you can order a set. They were dubbed the 'England Custom' set by the winder. Would I do anything different next time? Maybe go Hex screws/double screws and see if they are slightly different in sound.

The RG7420 is for sale now with these pickups. My next 7 string will be another custom build through String Pluckery and I will probably order another set for them. Can't wait. Maybe will change to Alnico 8?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Latest posts

')