Rumor - Megadeth completed their line-up

• Thread starter OmegaSlayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
People have always seemed rather mixed on Broderick from what i've seen.

^ This. I am a huge Megadeth fan and I was underwhelmed when he came on board. The kid can play, but he can't write a memorable solo. Maybe that is different in his other bands, but he was a flop for me with 'Deth.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Funny how everyone is dissing on Broderick now.

U3ZBVHA.jpg

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
Yeah Chris is cool. Endgame was their best album since Youthanasia. Maybe that was beginner's luck because the two after were shite lol

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
Yeah Chris is cool. Endgame was their best album since Youthanasia. Maybe that was beginner's luck because the two after were shite lol

I think it was part ditching Sneap and replacing him with that Johnny K jerkoff, and part Mustaine getting lazy (ThOnertThreeen was half old songs re-recorded for ....'s sake.)

Reaction score
...if the drummer isn't Gar or the guitarist isn't Marty or Chris, I really am not interested. Those three are the benchmark, and sadly, most completely miss the mark.

Pretty much agree with this, although I'd happily accept Menza in place of Gar, given that Gar's sadly not an option. All the people they've had in the lineup since the RIP set dissolved are really good players, but those first two stable lineups had chemistry and attitude that has never been adequately replaced.

I thought for a long time that it was to do with time of life and situation - Mustaine and the gang being happier, healthier, parents etc etc - "happiness is the death of ambition" and all that. I thought that until I heard Poland's leads on "The System Has Failed" and I got those old, familiar chills...

Rosal76

Reaction score
Funny how everyone is dissing on Broderick now.

I love Chris Broderick. He may not be as popular and/or have memorable solos like Chris Poland and Marty Friedman but he definately has his own thing. I have the guitar tablature books for Endgame and Thirteen and some of his solos can be hard to play perfectly. Ex. "Head crusher", "How the story ends" and "Sudden death".

To be fair though, difficult solos to play shouldn't equal memorable solos. If anything, I will state that Chris Broderick has technically demanding solos.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it was part ditching Sneap and replacing him with that Johnny K jerkoff, and part Mustaine getting lazy (ThOnertThreeen was half old songs re-recorded for ....'s sake.)

Off-topic... but there may be something to that. I certainly haven't liked the production on anything Johnny K has done in a really long time, including Sevendust's Cold Day Memory - a seriously great album with (IMO) some seriously questionable production decisions. Hard to argue with the sales numbers he's put up, but... I dunno... :scratch:

Now, I'd be interested to hear what Jamie King could do for Megadeath :idea:

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
Off-topic... but there may be something to that. I certainly haven't liked the production on anything Johnny K has done in a really long time, including Sevendust's Cold Day Memory - a seriously great album with (IMO) some seriously questionable production decisions. Hard to argue with the sales numbers he's put up, but... I dunno... :scratch:

He can get "big" guitar sounds, I'll give him that. But he doesn't know a thing about "clear", and Megadeth needs to be clear.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The sound that Sneap gave them for United Abominations and Endgame were spot-on for modern-day Megadeth, IMO.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Chris Adler is one of my favorite drummers.

I'd never really heard Kiko play before tonight, but he seems promising. I despise power metal for the most part, so it's not surprising that I've never heard him play before.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Pretty much agree with this, although I'd happily accept Menza in place of Gar, given that Gar's sadly not an option. All the people they've had in the lineup since the RIP set dissolved are really good players, but those first two stable lineups had chemistry and attitude that has never been adequately replaced.

I thought for a long time that it was to do with time of life and situation - Mustaine and the gang being happier, healthier, parents etc etc - "happiness is the death of ambition" and all that. I thought that until I heard Poland's leads on "The System Has Failed" and I got those old, familiar chills...

:agreed: Menza was no Gar, but he was perfect for the RIP lineup. He was an animal behind the kit and you can really tell that he was pummeling those drums right down to the ground. Not many Deth drummers had that intensity.

The only other person that reached Gar's talent was Vinnie Colaiuta during The System Has Failed. And him joining Megadeth is just not gonna happen.

To be fair though, difficult solos to play shouldn't equal memorable solos. If anything, I will state that Chris Broderick has technically demanding solos.

Broderick was the right choice when the band was basically just playing the classics while touring. His technique was great when recreating the solos note for note. But yeah, as skillful as he is, I can't think of anything he's done that's as memorable as either of Poland or Friedmans work. Then again, I only listened to Endgame... didn't bother with the last two.

varjao

Reaction score
Look I'm brazilian so I follow Kiko's work for a long time, we are from the same city, I used to be a Angra fan (first 3 albuns with the old formation), attended many shows, and many guitar clinics in a school Kiko used to teach.

As some people have said he didn't stick forever with heavy metal, he's a hard worker, always studying even after getting some status he kept studying with guys from Jazz and Fusion and his solo albums are pretty much a mix of everything, rock, fusion, some other regional brazilian styles. Technically he's up there in the top. I'm not a big fan of his solo albums but when a guy like Greg Howe says a lot of good things you have to shut up and maybe reevaluate in a few years.

BUT, I don't think he is a good fit for Megadeth, he's so technically good that he plays too clean, without some necessary punch for Megadeth stuff. His tone is awful, studio or alive, I know it's a personal thing but too many people complain about his tone, nobody likes, very weak tone for metal stuff. Moving from Tagima guitars to Ibanez didn't change that. I know Dave would take control of the whole thing,anyway. Well just my 2 cents, I would rather see Marty back, he's the lead guitarist Megadeth has been missing for years, his music was a perfect fit, melodic and powerful.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Look I'm brazilian so I follow Kiko's work for a long time, we are from the same city, I used to be a Angra fan (first 3 albuns with the old formation), attended many shows, and many guitar clinics in a school Kiko used to teach.

As some people have said he didn't stick forever with heavy metal, he's a hard worker, always studying even after getting some status he kept studying with guys from Jazz and Fusion and his solo albums are pretty much a mix of everything, rock, fusion, some other regional brazilian styles. Technically he's up there in the top. I'm not a big fan of his solo albums but when a guy like Greg Howe says a lot of good things you have to shut up and maybe reevaluate in a few years.

BUT, I don't think he is a good fit for Megadeth, he's so technically good that he plays too clean, without some necessary punch for Megadeth stuff. His tone is awful, studio or alive, I know it's a personal thing but too many people complain about his tone, nobody likes, very weak tone for metal stuff. Moving from Tagima guitars to Ibanez didn't change that. I know Dave would take control of the whole thing,anyway. Well just my 2 cents, I would rather see Marty back, he's the lead guitarist Megadeth has been missing for years, his music was a perfect fit, melodic and powerful.

Two things:

First, too clean? That's certainly not a problem.

Second, tone? Dave will tell him what to play and dial in the settings himself before Kiko even takes out a pick.

:lol:

DXL

Reaction score
So it's been announced that Megadeth is going into the studio as a three piece. While I'm extremely hyped for this album (Megadeth was the first band i was ever into and still to this day remains my favorite) I'm kind of worried about Dave taking over lead guitar completely. The guy has his great shredding moments but is never anything compared to the lead guitarists they have worked with

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
If that's true, that kinda sucks tbh. Dave mostly sticks to the standard pentatonic licks and not much else.

')