• Wank

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Music

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score

OK so I'm sure a lot of you guys have seen this before, but what's your opinion? Mindless wank or shreddy but cool?

I personally give it a :yesway: :metal: :hbang: :shred: and think it's probably better than his whole album "Rusty Cooley" combined.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Seven

Lucky☆Seven
Reaction score
I love him, but to be honest, my favorite Houston shredder (where I'm from) has to be Joel Gregoire. I didn't like this video that much musically, but his recorded music doesn't sound like this so I have nothing against him. I know a couple of his friends.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
I've listened to the whole thing maybe 20 times in the past few months and I think it slays War of the Angels.

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
This dude absolutely rules until he goes into warp speed, then he loses it.

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
This dude absolutely rules until he goes into warp speed, then he loses it.

i think short bursts of warp speed can add some great color to a solo, but mindless whir whir whir fwip fwip fwip is a bunch of shit.

edit: that being said, i don't mean that this video is a bunch of whir whir fwip fwip nonsense. its definitely more musical than other things i've heard rusty do.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
i think short bursts of warp speed can add some great color to a solo, but mindless whir whir whir fwip fwip fwip is a bunch of shit.

:agreed:

*points to the Francesco Fareri thread*

That being said, I thought the same thing until I watched it maybe 5-6 times trying to dissect his technique and then it kinda started to "click" musically.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I like a lot how Rusty plays. On that videos he has some really fast and cool riffs. His work on outworld and his solo album it's amazing!

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
Im pretty sure this video was made just for the fact of showing off his conklin 8, not for any other musical context other then just jammin. So there is not some special effort here to make any kind of organised music.

Be that as it may there are some tasty licks here and there. :shred:

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
Im pretty sure this video was made just for the fact of showing off his conklin 8, not for any other musical context other then just jammin. So there is not some special effort here to make any kind of organised music.

Be that as it may there are some tasty licks here and there. :shred:

Actually I think it's from one of his instructional videos. Not sure which one. It's one of the bonus things.

Kotex

Trippin' balls
Reaction score
I'm gonna' say wank.
Just sounds like a robot talking, save a few parts.

I do admire his skill though.

FortePenance

Reaction score
I'm gonna' say wank.
Just sounds like a robot talking, save a few parts.

I do admire his skill though.

Robot talking solos = Meshuggah. :metal:

I can't tell if I like it or not. It wasn't bad at times, other times I really disliked it. The high A string hurts my ears.

Robotechnology

Reaction score
I never saw this until just now so thanks for posting... I'll tell you what if anything else, Rusty Cooley is PRECISE. I see nothing wrong with having above average technique (he's up on flawless level). I noticed that he bends in tune, has decent vibrato, and plays some slow melodic lines more than I though he would. What more can you ask for?

Latest posts

')