Rusty Cooley playing fusion

• Thread starter JoshuaLogan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
Oh, i totally agree. I'm not big on genre police myself. But in defence of the argument of what genre it is, the thread title is "Rusty Cooley playing fusion". If i started a thread called "a picture of a red apple" and somebody thought i posted a slightly pink apple, a discussion of its true color is certainly on topic. Sorry for the lame metaphor :lol:

I get it, and I enjoyed the metaphor :lol:. I just get annoyed with the debate over what it is and/or what it's not. Obviously to every person that listens to it it's going to be something a bit different, so why argue over it? And what's this about fusion not being "free"? Last time I checked in music you don't have to follow any rules, so why does it matter? You can sit and argue over the color of the apple all day, or you can say OMG DELICIOUS APPLEZ! or ew I hate apples.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
This argument is stupid. Just because Rusty is choosing his notes a little more carefully over a jazzy backing track does not make it fusion.
And you can't say "it's different for different people". That's the same as saying "for some people Avenged Sevenfold is death metal', when it clearly isn't.

My two cents.

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
This argument is stupid. Just because Rusty is choosing his notes a little more carefully over a jazzy backing track does not make it fusion.
And you can't say "it's different for different people". That's the same as saying "for some people Avenged Sevenfold is death metal', when it clearly isn't.

My two cents.

But in this case the music in question is borderline on two genres, so it's likely there's going to be disagreements on what genre it is. But why does it matter, and is it really worth arguing over. That's my point.

/ceasing off-topic discussion.

Gave the video another listen just now. Really cool stuff IMO. Does anyone know if he's ever going to do another solo CD? I love outworld and all but I really liked his instrumental stuff. And if he does do another solo CD he better have a song like this :lol:.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
He reminds me of Steve Vai in this video.
Sure, he's got the technique, and he probably knows the theory aswell... But he doesn't seem to have an innate sense of improvisation. Just like when Steve Vai improvises, you seem to get the feeling that there isn't any point to the phrases he's playing.
Listen to how Tony MacAlpine, Greg Howe or Guthrie Govan always seem to have a point, even when they play fast and screw around with sweeps, tapping, whammy and all that. They just seem to have that 'vibe'.

Since when does Vai solo aimlessly? He is a master of phrasing, granted he doesnt play fusion, but his improvised solos are anytihng but aimless.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
But in this case the music in question is borderline on two genres, so it's likely there's going to be disagreements on what genre it is. But why does it matter, and is it really worth arguing over. That's my point.

Quoted for truth.:agreed: I doubt Rusty himself would describe himself as a pure fusion player, but personally I really like to hear a little fusion influence in metal guitar playing, so this works nicely for me. Just because it doesn't strictly conform to the standards of one particular genre (and personally, I originally got into fusion music just because it rejected a lot of the jazz orthodoxy and opened the doors to a lot of new influences and approaches) doesn't mean it isn't musically valid in it's own right.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Since when does Vai solo aimlessly? He is a master of phrasing, granted he doesnt play fusion, but his improvised solos are anytihng but aimless.

Well, they sound like that to me. He's generally by far the poorest improvisor in the G3 jams to me.
He has nothing on Joe Satriani, or Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan, or other such guys. But perhaps that's just me.

Quoted for truth.:agreed: I doubt Rusty himself would describe himself as a pure fusion player, but personally I really like to hear a little fusion influence in metal guitar playing, so this works nicely for me. Just because it doesn't strictly conform to the standards of one particular genre (and personally, I originally got into fusion music just because it rejected a lot of the jazz orthodoxy and opened the doors to a lot of new influences and approaches) doesn't mean it isn't musically valid in it's own right.

Yea, I wouldn't argue semantics like that myself.
I just didn't think what he played fit the underlying music that well.
If you can make it 'fit', I don't care what style you're playing. In fact, I generally think it's cool when people think 'out of the box', and combine aspects from styles that you might not expect.
Heck, Malmsteen created an entire genre out of using classical elements in a rock/metal context.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I shouldn't have gotten into the whole "jazz/not jazz" thing. Luan and I just have different philosophies about music, I think. And that's fine--the world would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything.

The more important part of my original post (I think) was praising Rusty for really playing from the heart during the opening part of this video. My criticism of him (and of many others like him) has been that he substitutes chops for developing improvised lines, regardless of whether they're generated from chord tones, modes, or free association. It's an easy trap to fall into--I know from personal experience. Guitarists are more prone to it than others, I believe, because we can fall back on fretboard patterns and 'shapes'. Rusty seemed more willing at the start of this performance to open up and really play. As the performance goes on, he drifts back into pure chops displays and loses the musical communication, but I think Rusty could be a hell of an improviser if he wanted to be. You just have to be willing to walk that tightrope.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, they sound like that to me. He's generally by far the poorest improvisor in the G3 jams to me.
He has nothing on Joe Satriani, or Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan, or other such guys. But perhaps that's just me.

I felt that way too.
Particularly noticeable on the G3 DVD in Tokyo (Petrucci as 3rd guitarist) I thought Vai's improvising was pretty poor for the most part, and some of his sweep picking licks were totally out of context IMO.
Whereas, every solo Joe took, was just perfect.
I was feeling the stuff in the first half of the Cooley video, but I felt he was kinda 'wandering' in the last half.

Luan

Reaction score
I felt that way too.
Whereas, every solo Joe took, was just perfect.

WOW.
Seems like you and me have totally different ears.....

My two cents.

100% agree.

I guess I shouldn't have gotten into the whole "jazz/not jazz" thing. Luan and I just have different philosophies about music, I think. And that's fine--the world would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything.

It's simple, you cited Miles davis. I bring you what miles davis did for you to see with your own eyes, that he still thinks in the same way, it doesn't matter if it's modal, just because you can play any note and it will not sound "bad" it doesn't mean that you are free and whatever you play will be great. Improvisation is not something random that you just throw notes, if it were so easy, we all would be great jazz players, and you know it.

')