Rusty Cooley playing fusion

• Thread starter JoshuaLogan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see a lot of people badmouthing Rusty and his playing pretty often on here... saying he doesn't play tastefully, isn't musical, etc.

So, I just thought I'd post this video of him playing some fusion lead stuff. I think the playing is pretty damn brilliant... appears to be improvised too... quite a change from the full speed shred a lot of people associate with him... check it out:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
It's an older vid but a damn good one. I don't see to much badmouthing of Rusty here, he's a pretty well respected player. I think most people just concentrate on the "holy-shit" factor of his playing so his tastefulness gets overlooked. :2c:

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
Video doesn't work for me :scratch:

EDIT: NVM now I can :D and I've seen this one. Great stuff, Rusty's the man.

On a side note, I wonder how many people who trash talk Rusty could actually play one of his songs...

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
Awesome, nice to see Rusty doing something different. He's one of my favorite 7 string players! :)

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
No offense taken but can you define Fusion for me then?

Luan

Reaction score
He is hitting random notes of the scale rathen than knowing how to make lines based on chord tones.
Metal guitarist still.

Overtone

Reaction score
Thanks, I really enjoyed seeing him use his skills to play something that appeals to my tastes more than his usual stuff.

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
He is hitting random notes of the scale rathen than knowing how to make lines based on chord tones.
Metal guitarist still.

I'm sorry if this sounds dickish but that made no sense whatsoever...:nuts:

lefty robb

Shred like a mofo
Contributor
Reaction score
Metal guitarist still.

yeah, that does make sense, it sounds cool and all, but doesn't fusion use a lot of chromatics and weird dissonant stuff, not seeing a lot of that here, just more like the same shred he does, and the same licks. But I do love him.

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
Now we've got people arguing over the genre of what he improvised is/was?

The point was that it's different than what a lot of people hear then say "OMG HE PLAYS FAST SO I HATE IT. NOT MUSIC. FAST = NOT MUSIC."

Btw if you find yourself agreeing with the text in the quotations, listen to Shawn Lane people.

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
My understanding of fusion as it relates to the guitar has always been taking a repetitive fixed rhythm and improvising over it for an extended period of time using different scales/modes. That's what he's doing here and doing it pretty well in my opinion.

I understand that Rusty's style doesn't appeal to everyone but it kind of irritates me when people use vague descriptions to put someone down. He doesn't know how to make lines based on chord tones? Are you trying to say that he's not in key? Because he clearly is...

Stengah_2012

Back from the dead
Reaction score
Metal guitarist still.

So, in all seriousness, are you suggesting that metal guitarists just hit random notes of the scale when soloing?

Reaction score
My understanding of fusion as it relates to the guitar has always been taking a repetitive fixed rhythm and improvising over it for an extended period of time using different scales/modes. That's what he's doing here and doing it pretty well in my opinion.

I understand that Rusty's style doesn't appeal to everyone but it kind of irritates me when people use vague descriptions to put someone down. He doesn't know how to make lines based on chord tones? Are you trying to say that he's not in key? Because he clearly is...

Agreed completely... people saying he's hitting random notes out of scale... HELLO, this is typical of fusion and jazz in general, chromatics and weaving in and out of scales is a common thing with this type of music.

I really can't understand the hate for this guy... yeah, there are some fast bits.... who cares? There is some awesome phrasing and great whammy use... a really nice "feel" to it, in my opinion... and different from the super speed prog metal that he usually plays... but whatever...

')