Rusty Cooley RC7X (import 7-string) with OFR!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• Thread starter sevenstringj
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
yes but it is 90% speculation and opinion on the spec and one comment stating the neck is just as good, hardly hands on is it?
:spock:
Several of us (myself, chris storey, and pete included) have played both side by side and posted it's EXACTLY THE SAME as the USA one. :nono:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
This guitar would be just perfect if you carvedown that ugly cockknob of an upper horn, throw in a 5 way and pickups of your choice.

Even the 707s sounded pretty decent in Rusty's clip.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
I think it looks pretty cool in white tbh and it's got better spec than the white RG1527, I'm an ibby player but this looks to good to not consider.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I think the upper horns a thing of beauty for what it does for playability... as he said in his video he wasn't thinking about cosmetics... hes worried about PLAYING the guitar not looking at it...

I would be curious to see how much the tone of the neck pup changes at the angle. Besides that pretty solid looking guitar, swap the pups out and were talkin!

Is it sad that I only use a 2 way switch xD

Zehailiu

Reaction score
I think the upper horns a thing of beauty for what it does for playability... as he said in his video he wasn't thinking about cosmetics... hes worried about PLAYING the guitar not looking at it...

I would be curious to see how much the tone of the neck pup changes at the angle. Besides that pretty solid looking guitar, swap the pups out and were talkin!

Is it sad that I only use a 2 way switch xD

I think you're mistaking the upperhorn for the lower horn...
I really don't see how having a bigger upper horn affects playability...

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
charlie_the_unicorn.jpg

hellothar.gif

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
"This jerk chicken is good, I think I'll have Fry's lower horn jerked." - Lrrr from Omicron Persei 8

"It's used to it...wwoooooooooooohhhhh!" - Bender

*I know I've used it before, but it was too tempting not to use it here.

Efekkt

NOTHING
Reaction score
Hence this thread. ;) Because the one up on eBay sports what looks to be an OFR. Though as someone astutely pointed out, it may be one of those Floyd Rose 1000 series that you see on the new ESP/LTD's, which are OFR's made in Korea. (I called Floyd Rose, so that's the official word.) I emailed Dean out of curiosity so we'll see what the deal is with this model.

I see :yesway:

I just thought the thing in question was merely the ebay description.

Panacea224

Reaction score
It looks just like an OFR but it has a lower profile, even dean's website says it's a licensed. I would love to get my hands on one of these.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
I found this..

the FR1000 series are OFRs that are made in asia(korea). they are made to the EXACT same specs as the schaller made OFR. hardened steel everything, but the are made in asia. the schaller made ofr is THE original floyd rose. schaller has made them since some time in the 80s.

there are 3 ways i know of to tell the difference.
1. on the 1000 series, the edge of the sadles are beveled. on the schaller made one they are square.
2. the paint. only the 1000 series come in the black nickel finish(and also the standard 3). schaller ones only come in chrome, gold, and a NON-chrome black.
3. the baseplate stamp. on ones made by schaller in germany it says "Made in Germany" on the underside of the baseplate.

those are the only 3 ways to tell the difference that i know of. i will provide examples of both bridges.

this is a floyd rose 1000 series tremolo. note the black nickel finish and the beveled saddle ends(hard to see)

this is a made in germany by schaller OFR. note the square saddle ends.

this is the made in germany stamp on a schaller OFR. note the non-chromed black finish.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the neck measurements. Now that's thin!
rc7x_measure.jpg

rc7x_measure2.jpg

By comparison, typical Universe Neck Measurements are:
Thickness:
20mm at fret-1
21.5mm at fret12

XxXPete

Reaction score
Yep the neck is like a "ruler w frets'!! Perfect for shredding

OzoneJunkie

Reaction score
Ordered. Should have some time early next week. I have a JP7... will decide which one I like more, and likely sell the other.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I think you're mistaking the upperhorn for the lower horn...

I try to multitask too much.

Yes your right thats exactly what I did xD

upper horns just a normal horn, I spose you could shave it down to match the lower but I don't see why

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Damn.

Dino tried one out but he didn't much care for it.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
It's a completely different animal from his guitars..thinner and totally diff wood. i said the same thing to chris that if they made it in mahogany people would be all over it even more. I wish companies would catch on and do guitars in alder & mahogany rather than just one, or none (basswood) yuck.

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score
Here's the neck measurements. Now that's thin!
By comparison, typical Universe Neck Measurements are:
Thickness:
20mm at fret-1
21.5mm at fret12

Actually, not that thin, then. It's pretty much one millimeter thinner throughout the length of the neck. Not that much of a difference.

In comparison, then, the UV is basically wizard II to the RC7's original wizard. Wizard is 17/20, wizard II is 19/21.

Anyone know the nut width on these?

')