Rusty Cooley RC7X (import 7-string) with OFR!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• Thread starter sevenstringj
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I have a kidney I don't need ....any takers?

Shannon - I both hate and love you for posing that :lol:

Mr Junkie - looking forward to the picstory. Make it hot and sexah :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chips400

Eats emo's for lunch
Reaction score
Hay Im looking for a soild seven this seems pretty well, though all the commenting on its body shape is sorta turning me away.......though 900 bucks EMGs, FR1000, case, crazy fret acess, super thin neck, sculpted heel, seems like a deal!

shredfreak

Reaction score
Very tempted to pick one up when the money is available from thomann.

Goddammit. If i didn't have to replace my comp a few months back i'd have enough money to buy one :wallbash:.

Apart from the pickups it would be perfect for me :hbang:
hmmm, black seems to look better though. The white one would be killer with a maple board :hbang:

Zehailiu

Reaction score
I try to multitask too much.

Yes your right thats exactly what I did xD

upper horns just a normal horn, I spose you could shave it down to match the lower but I don't see why

Yeah it is rather pointless, but I still feel they shouldn't have made it that big in the first place. I mean... do they not have eyes?

Yoshi

Reaction score
RC7X_MBK_1.jpg

Looks like rosewood to me.

if it wasn't for that cramp inducing fretboard, headstock and the fact that it's a Dean I would buy one.

Looks like something HALO would make.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like rosewood to me.

if it wasn't for that cramp inducing fretboard, headstock and the fact that it's a Dean I would buy one.

Looks like something HALO would make.

what the hell are you on about? Have you played one? who cares if it's a Dean? It seems like a reasonably priced, quality 7 string.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
and the fact that it's a Dean

that's lame. a good product is a good product no matter who makes it.

unless you have evidence that monies paid to dean go to support terrorism or something equally deviant, there's no reason to avoid a good product solely due to a brand name.

i'd gladly buy any brand if they made a quality instrument that suited me needs and preferences.

CapenCyber

Reaction score
SS.org in defending Dean shocker!

All it took was one decent 7 string, you guys have no scruples!

Although it does look nice to me I must say...

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
SS.org in defending Dean shocker!

All it took was one decent 7 string, you guys have no scruples!

Although it does look nice to me I must say...

my main 6 stringer since 2001 has been a dean from the early-mid 80's.
so i'm not just jumping on a bandwagon due to the RC.

a lot of their imports have QC issues these days and they have way too many dimebag guitars, but dean definitely has some solid instruments.

CapenCyber

Reaction score
my main 6 stringer since 2001 has been a dean from the early-mid 80's.
so i'm not just jumping on a bandwagon due to the RC.

a lot of their imports have QC issues these days and they have way too many dimebag guitars, but dean definitely has some solid instruments.

I didn't mean you specifically, the attitude towards Dean on here is usually pretty bad.

I used to own a dean myself, I was a regular on the Dean forum too, in fact that reminds me, what the hell was your avatar a picture of?

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
If I can land a decent summer job, I plan on picking one of these up at the end of the summer. Something about it I just absolutely love, and I haven't even played one yet. Now to decide if I want black or white. Normally, it would be a no-brainer to go with white, but it looks quite tasty in black too.

Oh yeah, and this is my 1,000th post!:woot:

Yoshi

Reaction score
that's lame. a good product is a good product no matter who makes it.

unless you have evidence that monies paid to dean go to support terrorism or something equally deviant, there's no reason to avoid a good product solely due to a brand name.

i'd gladly buy any brand if they made a quality instrument that suited me needs and preferences.

what the hell are you on about? Have you played one? who cares if it's a Dean? It seems like a reasonably priced, quality 7 string.

Never played an import series Dean that was worth anywhere near it's asking price. I have low expectations of this. I don't really care about what you think about my opinion. My prejudice is based on experience with their import line

so :noway:

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Quality wise it's on par with what other companies charge for that price with better features be it the wood/pickups/all access and not to mention it comes with an OHSC etc...

Breakdown

Reaction score
Never played an import series Dean that was worth anywhere near it's asking price. I have low expectations of this. I don't really care about what you think about my opinion. My prejudice is based on experience with their import line

so :noway:

tell me about it man Dean's LFRs NEVER stay in tune and I didn't even abuse it. I really regret buying my dean. for $700 (well with he case) I couldve gotten much nicer gutiar. BUt my Dimebag fanboyness took over. Now the guitar is sitting in it's case with no bridge (the saddle clamps couldn't be tightened anymore so the brige is useless now). What a waste of wood. The guitar sounded good though deans stock pups aint that bad.

Yoshi

Reaction score
Quality wise it's on par with what other companies charge for that price with better features be it the wood/pickups/all access and not to mention it comes with an OHSC etc...

Razorback here in Aus = 2450AUD.
My ESP M-II = 2350AUD

No flimsy bridge, no sticky neck, no intonation problems.

Dean USA, while overpriced are still great guitars. Their import line is trash though.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Razorback here in Aus = 2450AUD.
My ESP M-II = 2350AUD
No flimsy bridge, no sticky neck, no intonation problems.
Dean USA, while overpriced are still great guitars. Their import line is trash though.
Ok..but we're talking about a Dean Rusty Cooley, not a Razorback...
For two the neck is anything but sticky, it's wood just like the M-II...
You post again with what has no relevance to the topic.... :squint:

Lets compare Apples to Apples as close we can with your example.

ESP M-II = $1399
Alder Body, EMG's, 6 String, Rosewood Fretboard, Official Floyd Rose, NO CASE.

RC7X = $999
Alder Body, EMG's, 7 String, Ebony Fretboard, OHSC, and What looks to be either an Official Floyd or the 7 string version of the FRT-1000 which is the Korean made to exact spec OFR

So you get another string, better fretboard, better access to frets, and a case for $400 less. :cool:

*Can't Believe I'm Defending a Dean*
runrofl2.gif

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
That's weird, because the Dean website shows a lower profile trem than the OFR shown above.

You do realize the pics on the dean site aren't the actual guitars and it's graphic mockups right....
Plus that pic is so dark you can't see anything. Both pics above are of the actual RC7X as shown on ebay from a dealer.
I think the big question at this point is did they change to an OFR, or are they using a 7 string version of the new FRT-1000's which is a built to spec OFR made in Korea.
The thing is the giveaway for the FRT-1000 is beveled saddles and the OFR are perfectly square....the ones in the pics certainly look to be the OFR.

Reaction score
You do realize the pics on the dean site aren't the actual guitars and it's graphic mockups right....
Plus that pic is so dark you can't see anything. Both pics above are of the actual RC7X as shown on ebay from a dealer.
I think the big question at this point is did they change to an OFR, or are they using a 7 string version of the new FRT-1000's which is a built to spec OFR made in Korea.
The thing is the giveaway for the FRT-1000 is beveled saddles and the OFR are perfectly square....the ones in the pics certainly look to be the OFR.

I think that beveled-edge-vs-sharp-edge is based on one comparison that someone pieced together on the net. The OFR 1000 series are made to the same specs as the German-made OFR's, so I would think they'd be identical except for the made-in-Germany stamp. Especially if they're meant to save money by employing cheap Korean labor, I can't see them going to the extra trouble of beveling edges. Besides, we're talking about a 7-string version, so we really don't know until someone gets a hold of one and looks in the cavity...

Ordered. Should have some time early next week. I have a JP7... will decide which one I like more, and likely sell the other.

That's the spirit! Take one for the team! :lol: :hbang: Should be an intense match-up.
63713938.qaEEdjG9.popcorn.gif

')