Rusty Cooley's RC8 Pics!! [Before Paint]

• Thread starter CooleyJr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

b7string

Reaction score
That looks like a very comfortable fan, and look at that fret acess on the 24th! You could practically park an SUV up there and still have room to noodle :yesway: I dunno I usually like trans finishes and nicer looking woods, but something about that graphic just suits this guitar. The instrument looks overall like it was meant to be that way, it has good flow. Now if only I could stumble across $3000 ...

sell2792

Reaction score
Bottom line: it's going to be overpriced.
Dean is the biggest joke alongside Gibson when it comes to pricing. For them to act like it costs significantly more to make this versus anything else they have in production is absurd. I understand it's "custom/built to order," but they have the tools, man power, and skill regardless. I just see no reason that justifies it being so pricy (for that much you can have alot of places build exactly what you want).

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Dean is the biggest joke along with Gibson when it comes to pricing. For them to act like it costs significantly more to make this versus anything else they have in production is absurd. They have the tools and the man power. Their is no reason this or almost any other guitar should be over $2000ish from a big company.
Scroll up. $3K.

So eh, now please elaborate why a large company shouldn't charge 3 grand for a USA-made guitar. Really, do it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dean is the biggest joke along with Gibson when it comes to pricing. For them to act like it costs significantly more to make this versus anything else they have in production is absurd. They have the tools and the man power. Their is no reason this or almost any other guitar should be over $2000ish from a big company.

What you fail to grasp is how the market, not just the guitar market, works. A "price ladder" is key to how companies differenciate thier product lines. Not to mention you have no idea how retail/distro markup works.

Do you really think Gibson gets $2000 for an LPS, Dean $2700 for an RC7G, or Fender getting $3000 for a 50's Strat? They're not. In fact they're lucky to get half that in most cases. It all has to do with the markup that retailers apply to get thier piece of the pie.

Just look at Carvin. They sell factory direct and still can charge upwards of $2000 on an instrument.

Also worth mentioning is that it costs a heck of a lot more to make a quality guitar in a first world country. Its a little sad how guitarists look at instrument pricing these days being so used to buying guitars off the backs of developing countries. I'm guilty of it as well, buy at least I know what's going on.

sell2792

Reaction score
I realized my post didn't make sense so I edited it. However, I still stand by the pricing for the most part, just more on the extreme end. $10000 for an ESP KH or JH model? I know thats off topic but just an example of how outlandish it can get.

(I realize the middle man (Sam Ash, GC,... whatever) needs to make money aswell, and their markup increases the final price.)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dean is the biggest joke alongside Gibson when it comes to pricing. For them to act like it costs significantly more to make this versus anything else they have in production is absurd. I understand it's "custom/built to order," but they have the tools, man power, and skill regardless. I just see no reason that justifies it being so pricy (for that much you can have alot of places build exactly what you want).

Tools which cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to maintain annually, man power which costs millions annually in the first world, and skilled workers/worker education which inflates both costs.

Find me a shop that'll make an exact RC8FF in less than a year for close to $3k and I'll buy a sandwich. :lol:

I realized my post didn't make sense so I edited it. However, I still stand by the pricing for the most part, just more on the extreme end. $10000 for an ESP KH or JH model? I know thats off topic but just an example of how outlandish it can get.

(I realize the middle man (Sam Ash, GC,... whatever) needs to make money aswell, and their markup increases the final price.)

Special/Limited editions don't count as it's implied that you are paying more just because they are branded as Special or Limited. That's about as honest as it gets in this industry.

Since the RC8 is neither Limited or $10k, why are you bringing up this argument?

Reaction score

That might be true if it was built in whatever Chinese sweatshop they manufacture their $200 Guitar Center newbie Christmas special guitar but it sounds like this is make here in the states by skilled Luthiers, hence the price. This is right around the same price point as a 8 String Guerilla so it sounds correct to me.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Dude $3k for this guitar is a very competitive price, so much so that I'll be looking into buying one in the fall if I decide to go with 8-strings in the newest incarnation of my band. (still trying to decide between 6-7-8-9 :lol:)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dude $3k for this guitar is a very competitive price, so much so that I'll be looking into buying one in the fall if I decide to go with 8-strings in the newest incarnation of my band. (still trying to decide between 6-7-8-9 :lol:)

Come on, if Troy is thinking about buying it, it has to be priced low. :rofl:

troyguitar

Reaction score
^ truth

Also if I go 8-string the tuning is to be AEADGCEA and this is the only 'production' instrument suited for that tuning. Only other option is a custom for more $$ or to build the fucker myself which I just don't have time to do right now. Plus I have no way to do a cool paint job like that (yes I actually like the finish a lot).

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Pricing? It has someone's name on it. I always expect the price to be out of my range if this is the case. :shrug:

Jordans... $200 shoes that feel like you're walking in cardboard boxes. I think you'd get more out of this guitar than out of a pair of uncomfortable "overpriced" shoes, but there I think the "getting what you pay for" is looking cool. Likewise, I'm sure there are ppl out there who feel like they've gotten their $3k's worth (or will--whatver) having bought this guitar simply bc the guitar means something to them. Don't fuck that up for ppl. :lol:

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
A semi-custom fanned rc8 for $3000 isn't a bad price at all. I mean.. just look at this.
Dean USA DS7 David Schankle 29 fret Shred Machine with case | Dean | Electric Guitars | Guitar Asylum
$3350 for an ugly ass 29 fret V with horrible inlays..
I'd say the fanned rc8 is DAMN well worth the money. Also being $300 more than the USA RC7 is another reason that the RC8 is worth it.
While both have the high A, at least the rc8 has a high A STRING and not just frets that make it possible to fret a high A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')