S7320 or RG1527?

• Thread starter The Hoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Hoff

ERG Newbie
Reaction score
I've been looking at buying a new Ibanez 7 and I'm not sure whether to buy an RG1527 or an S7320. The RG comes with a case, has the 4 frets and has the Prestige tag so you know that's it's constructed well, while the S7320 has the new bridges which are better and it looks sleeker. Anyone know which one's better? I like how the Wizard necks feel but I've heard that they're both very comfortable so the neck isn't a big deal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Op3a

ENGL FTW!
Reaction score
The S7320 bridge isn't better than the edge pro in the rg1527. I love the ZR btw. You have to see what you want: 24 or 22 frets? Better quality overall (RG) or a slick body (S)? You can also buy the S7 and with the money left buy a new pair of pickups. Thats would be my choice: Buy the S7 and then buy a X2N 7 for the bridge and a D activator 7 for the neck. It would be a metal machine for sure :D

techjsteele

Gear Junkie
Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on your personal likes and dislikes of course. I personally love the Ibanez S7320 guitars, as mahogany is one of my favorite tone woods. The RG1527 is okay, but IMO, the S7320 is the better deal.

Edit:

What Op3a said. The X2N-7/DA7 Neck is a great pickup combo for mahogany.

The Hoff

ERG Newbie
Reaction score
Mahogany is a warmer sounding wood than basswood isn't it?

Not to mention better wood overall

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
RG1527 all the way... Prestige is what you need.

The S7320s are nice guitars, but the quality control of the RG1527 just seems to be flawless in my experience. I've owned 3 so far, and they were all perfect.

Drage

Reaction score
Agreed with TMM, though I love both.

GET THEM BOTH!!!

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
My choice is S7320 but first af all I want to say that those two is DIFFERENT GUITARS THAT YOU CAN'T COMPARE. S is mahagony RG basswood. Also I prefer old ibbys like S7420 and RG7620. You just need to realize what you need warm mahagony from S or crunchy basswood from RG. And my advice is to buy old one that I was talking about :D

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
i own an rg7620 and s7320, i can't really say one is better than the other. They both play well, and have their own unique sounds. If your into strickly metal, i'd say the rg. If your looking for more versitality, i'd say the s.

The trem on the S isnt better or worse than the RG. To me they feel differenet but stay in tune just the same...

The only REAL difference in the trem setups i could see is the lock nut. On the rg it is secured from underneath the neck, which to me seems sturdier than 2 small wood screws securing the S nut from the top. I dunno, i guess it doesnt really matter, but it seems logical the rg nut would keep better tune.

Keep in mind though, the 1527 does NOT have locking studs, and you will need to mod this for the best tuning stability.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
I went S7320 because mahogany sounded better to me.
I didn't like the tone of the RG at all.
And the ZR trem is so damn sexy!
I think it's better than an Edge Pro because of the built-in stop-bar thingie and the thumb adjustment screw.
Aside from that I already had an RG, and always liked the S shape better anyway.
Oh, and I didn't even replace the pickups, I'm quite happy with the stock ones. They may not be super-metal, but they're decent quality and have a nice warm fat tone to them, with plenty of output and harmonics etc. Since I'm not a super-metal player myself, they'd probably suit me better than EMGs, X2Ns, D-Activators or whatever other stuff people tend to recommend.

ChrisPcritter

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like the feel of the neck as well on my S7320. Everything else, I like better so the neck is going to have the profile changed...

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Japan over Korea anytime. My choice would be RG1527.But the S7320 would be a great second choice

a while ago, i'd have agreed with you. But the schecters i have and some other korean guitars i've played (Like the Groove Tools 7 i had) had better fretwork than some of of the japanese ibanezes i've owned.

The Hoff

ERG Newbie
Reaction score
Well I think I've decided on a S7320.

I figured it's a better guitar overall except for MAYBE the neck which I've heard some negative things about, but its an Ibanez so how uncomfortable can it REALLY be :p

I don't really care about the 24 frets since I never use them on my 6-string, and I figured if I get it I might swap out the pickups for green ones and then change the knobs to green ones so it'll be the closest thing I ever have to a black and green Universe :p

Can anyone attest to the comfortableness (NEW WORD!) of the neck compared to a Wizard II?

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Isn't the the S7320 made in indo now?

Yes, since the start of 2008 I believe.
I've never seen one in person yet, sadly. None of the shops I visited had one in stock. So I've not had a chance to compare it to my Korean one yet.

Can anyone attest to the comfortableness (NEW WORD!) of the neck compared to a Wizard II?

Well, according to the specs, the neck on an S7320 *is* a Wizard II.
I have an RG570CT from 1995, which is a Japanese 6-string Wizard II, and a Korean S7320 from 2007.
Comparing the two I notice a few differences:
1) The S has more of a D-profile, so it's flat at the center, and then quite round at the 'shoulders'. The RG has a round C-profile.
2) The slab of rosewood appears to be thicker on the S than on the RG.
3) The neck of the S is made of three pieces of maple glued together along the length of the neck, including the headstock. The RG has a one-piece neck where the headstock was sawn off at an angle and glued back upside-down (in the style of Gibson).

Other than that the necks seem pretty much the same to me. Both feel the same thickness. Both have really big frets. Neither neck has a 'skunk stripe'. Neither has the reinforced part under the nut, which I've seen on some Ibanez necks. I've also tried some 6-string S necks, and they seemed to be the same as the 7-string, also a more D-like profile than my RG.
I've read that some people sand their neck down to a C-profile. That's an option ofcourse. But for me personally the neck is fine as it is (I have rather large hands, and I don't 'grip' the neck, I just hold it loosely with the thumb behind the neck, resting on the flat part of the D-profile in this case).
One might argue that the D-profile gives the neck a bit more rigidity, mass and perhaps tone.

You could check my Youtube for some videos, I don't think I play any less on the S7320 than on any of my other guitars, so playability is fine to me :)

The Hoff

ERG Newbie
Reaction score
I guess I forgot to read the neck specs before I posted that :lol:

Thanks for the info man, that's definitely going to help me.

')