S7420 and its trem..?

• Thread starter DakoRob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DakoRob

Dakota Roberts - Caecus
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a quick question about the ZR tremelo.

I really want this guitar, but i need to make sure you can install a tremelno in it.

I was just wondering if anyone knew weather you could or not or had even done it themselves.

I ask mainly because I haven't seen it on google anywhere or even on the tremelno site.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mountainjam

Reaction score
Nope. You will need to find a used mij s7420 if you want to use the tremel-no.

mountainjam

Reaction score
The zps is a little more complicated than a standard floating trem, I don't think there are any aftermarket products to block the zps, but I think you could put a wood block behind the sustain block to keep it from moving.

DakoRob

Dakota Roberts - Caecus
Reaction score
Well I was assuming if I did block it that i would in fact disable the ZPS and have it just floating first.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
Well I was assuming if I did block it that i would in fact disable the ZPS and have it just floating first.

then whats the point of the tremol no? your gonna unstabalize a trem to re stabilize it?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A Tremol-No doesn't stabilize Jym, it blocks.

To answer the OP's question: no, the ZR (or any other Zero series trem for that matter) is not compatible with the T-No. You can easily block it though using any properly sized solid object(s).

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
A Tremol-No doesn't stabilize Jym, it blocks.

To answer the OP's question: no, the ZR (or any other Zero series trem for that matter) is not compatible with the T-No. You can easily block it though using any properly sized solid object(s).

well i meant block/stabilize? the benefit you get from a tremol no is the trem wont move if you break a string or change tuning. the zps already does that:scratch:

mountainjam

Reaction score
well i meant block/stabilize? the benefit you get from a tremol no is the trem wont move if you break a string or change tuning. the zps already does that:scratch:

Nah, the zps acts just like any floyd rose during a string break or tuning change

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The ZPS is just an improved, significantly at that, version of a Tremsetter. Think of it as more of a buffer as far as keeping the bridge at it's level zero point. It'll allow for very slight tension changes such as bends and double stop bends, but likely won't be able to compensate for a large string breakage or a typical tuning change. That's why the stopped putting the bridge based drop tuner on the ZR.

In my opinion the true advantages to the ZR are the ease of intonation and long wearing bearing setup.

mountainjam

Reaction score
Imo the zps is only good for on the fly adjustments, I've got 3 zps equipped ibby's and even the slightest bend moves the bridge a little bit.

DakoRob

Dakota Roberts - Caecus
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys djents, you've been really helpful. Looks like I'm planning on buying one and having my neighborhood tech block off the trem for me with a nice slab of mahogany.

bonethug

Reaction score
The ZPS is just an improved, significantly at that, version of a Tremsetter. Think of it as more of a buffer as far as keeping the bridge at it's level zero point. It'll allow for very slight tension changes such as bends and double stop bends, but likely won't be able to compensate for a large string breakage or a typical tuning change. That's why the stopped putting the bridge based drop tuner on the ZR.

In my opinion the true advantages to the ZR are the ease of intonation and long wearing bearing setup.

dude, how do you intonate the ZR?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
dude, how do you intonate the ZR?

the little intonation tool attached to the trem. its opposite the trem bar ;) unscrew it and then you use it to screw into the backs if the saddles.

:agreed:

The easiest intonating locking trem in existance. It's awesome that they've started using the same system on knife-edge based units.

DakoRob

Dakota Roberts - Caecus
Reaction score
Oh, a final question, do i need to disable the ZPS to block the ZR?

')